Contribute
Register

[Guide] Laptop backlight control using AppleBacklightFixup.kext

Now using the right version of iasl, could compile the PNLF file, but still with no brightness control. Next step, gonna review the guide.
Question: does power management can interfere with backlight control? I,m asking that because my machine doesn't sleep with connected power adapter, only in battery, although battery patch is working. I think an issue with PM came out in some macOS 10.12.x update.

but when I use the keyboard to change brightness, the transactions are not smooth like it was with IntelBacklight.kext. Is this normal?

As expected.
Note that the ACPI setup you attached earlier is really wrong...
(DropOem=true must be used with patched SSDTs in ACPI/patched).

Now using the right version of iasl, could compile the PNLF file, but still with no brightness control. Next step, gonna review the guide.
Question: does power management can interfere with backlight control? I,m asking that because my machine doesn't sleep with connected power adapter, only in battery, although battery patch is working. I think an issue with PM came out in some macOS 10.12.x update.

CPU PM has nothing to do with backlight control.
Read post #1.

Read post #1.
I found my computer has "GFX0" on SSDT-6 and SSDT-7 .aml files, besides DSDT, so opted to change GFX0 -> IGPU directly at DSDT and SSDT files.
After rebuild cache again, with all in place, got the brightness slider.
Thank you for this very complete guide, with which even noob guys like me can hack.
Next step, solve the sleep issue.

I found my computer has "GFX0" on SSDT-6 and SSDT-7 .aml files, besides DSDT, so opted to change GFX0 -> IGPU directly at DSDT and SSDT files.

It is better to do renames via config.plist. According to your profile, no dual-GPU, so... you have no reason to patch SSDTs (other than the rename).

Read post #1.
For my laptop, the backlight is not controllable until after the display has gone to sleep at least once. I've followed most of this guide before the "Customization" part. My Pentium B960 graphics (Sandy Bridge Intel HD Graphics or Intel HD Graphics 2000) is not supported but mostly works.

For my laptop, the backlight is not controllable until after the display has gone to sleep at least once. I've followed most of this guide before the "Customization" part. My Pentium B960 graphics (Sandy Bridge Intel HD Graphics or Intel HD Graphics 2000) is not supported but mostly works.

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read post #1, "Problem Reporting". Carefully.

It is better to do renames via config.plist. According to your profile, no dual-GPU, so... you have no reason to patch SSDTs (other than the rename).
Really? I tought it's better to patch SSDTs and DSDT (together) to avoid loosing their variables(?) relationship.
BTW, I don't know how to patch SSDTs via config.sys. Please, tell me how to do that, will follow your guidelines.
I suppose the GFX0 -> IGPU patch on the provided config.sys files patches only the DSDT file.

Really? I tought it's better to patch SSDTs and DSDT (together) to avoid loosing their variables(?) relationship.

Less patching and less files in ACPI/patched results in less possibility for mistakes.

BTW, I don't know how to patch SSDTs via config.sys.

Hotpatch guide is linked from the main ACPI patching guide.
And the current plists in my Clover laptop guide have the common renames already present.

I suppose the GFX0 -> IGPU patch on the provided config.sys files patches only the DSDT file.

No.
It will patch OEM DSDT (if no DSDT.aml present in ACPI/patched), ACPI/patched/DSDT.aml, and all OEM SSDTs.
SSDTs in ACPI/patched are not affected by config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches.

No.
It will patch OEM DSDT (if no DSDT.aml present in ACPI/patched), ACPI/patched/DSDT.aml, and all OEM SSDTs.
SSDTs in ACPI/patched are not affected by config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches.
I see. My laptop config has SSDT*.aml files on "ACPI/patched" due to a SSDT-1.aml CPU errors patched version.
Other OEM SSDTs are good, but since (I suppose again) SSD/Drop OEM=Yes drops all OEM SSDTs, have to add them all to ACPI/patched.

Back