Contribute
Register

[Guide] Laptop backlight control using AppleBacklightFixup.kext

I realize it uses 0xad9.
But you're mapping to a different AppleBacklight format (FxxPxxxx instead of FxxTxxxx).
There are no FxxPxxxx profiles in AppleBacklight that appear to be for 0xad9/Haswell.
You may need to determine why.
It might have to do with your SMBIOS setup.

the display is recognized as retina and i just noticed this
Automatically Adjust Brightness: Yes

the display is recognized as retina

Strange. Your profile says it is 1920x1080.

and i just noticed this
Automatically Adjust Brightness: Yes

ALS implemented??
Have you tried a fresh install?

You could also try a different _UID (modify code in SSDT-PNLF, modify AppleBacklightInjector Info.plist to match).
Maybe there is something special/magic about _UID=11 that I don't expect...

Last edited:
How did you create your DSDT.aml in ACPI/patched if you don't know how to patch it?
See guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/

Still a conflict... It still has the PNLF device.

ok i made my native DSDT and have applied required patches for my system except any kind of brightness fix. But now the whole brightness slider is removed from sys pref. Please see the attached DSDT. Do i require to apply any other patch to bring back slider?

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    41.1 KB · Views: 154
ok i made my native DSDT and have applied required patches for my system except any kind of brightness fix. But now the whole brightness slider is removed from sys pref. Please see the attached DSDT. Do i require to apply any other patch to bring back slider?

okay got slider to appear again after rebuilding cache and rebooting but still it doesnt function. Also i notice you talked about two patches in post#1
1 - change F%uT%04x to F%uTxxxx for AppleBacklightInjector.kext (credit RehabMan)
2 - change F%uP%04x to F%uPxxxx for AppleBacklightInjector.kext (credit RehabMan)

i cant find the 2nd one in my config_patches.plist.
Also, I have again attached the updated problem_reporting files, please have a look

Attachments

• Rehabman.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 119
- Updated clover to latest version from Sourceforge.
- Applied two patches to config.plist,
- Removed PNLF from DSDT,
- Installed your kext,
- Added SSDT-PNL.aml to ACPI folder and set the order.
Slider is there but changing the slider position doesn't have any effect. With http://bergdesign.com/brightness/ I can decrease brightness but cannot increase at all. I added my clover folder, Ioreg and terminal outputs

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    3 MB · Views: 114
Last edited:
how to switch to 0x0a260006?

The ig-platform-id is usually specified in config.plist/Graphics/ig-platform-id.

Hi RehabMan. I have done all the steps you mentioned. I removed IntelBacklight.kext in L/E. I replaced PNLF in CLOVER, copy-and-pasted two patches to config.plist and installed your kext into L/E. I don't see any sortedOrder in my config.plist so i ignored it. I have rebooted thrice and rebuilt cache at least twice. Now the brightness is really low (even the brightest that I can get from BrightnessSlider.app is still really dark) and no brightness slider in SysPref. i have attached CLOVER, ioreg, terminal-output and patchmatic extracts. Your help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 89
  • scottsanett.ioreg.zip
    675.3 KB · Views: 111
  • cache-output.zip
    375 bytes · Views: 89
  • patchmatic-extracts.zip
    64.5 KB · Views: 80
okay got slider to appear again after rebuilding cache and rebooting but still it doesnt function. Also i notice you talked about two patches in post#1
1 - change F%uT%04x to F%uTxxxx for AppleBacklightInjector.kext (credit RehabMan)
2 - change F%uP%04x to F%uPxxxx for AppleBacklightInjector.kext (credit RehabMan)

i cant find the 2nd one in my config_patches.plist.
Also, I have again attached the updated problem_reporting files, please have a look

Your system does not need the second FxxPxxxx patch (it is working with FxxTxxxx).
Your computer probably may not use the IGPU PWM to control the backlight.
Did you find IntelBacklight.kext works with your system on 10.12.3 (or earlier)?

If your computer does not use IGPU PWM, you're out of luck (for now) with 10.12.4. Go back to 10.11.x where you can use ACPIBacklight.kext + custom PNLF implementation or "Brightness Fix (ACPI 100)".

- Updated clover to latest version from Sourceforge.
- Applied two patches to config.plist,
- Removed PNLF from DSDT,
- Installed your kext,
- Added SSDT-PNL.aml to ACPI folder and set the order.
Slider is there but changing the slider position doesn't have any effect. With http://bergdesign.com/brightness/ I can decrease brightness but cannot increase at all. I added my clover folder, Ioreg and terminal outputs

You have the same issue as @maromi, which means the problem of the system selecting the FxxPxxxx profile instead of FxxTxxxx is at least consistent and happens both with _UID=10 and _UID=11 (so the _UID is not a factor). You also have two different SMBIOS (you MacBookPro8,1 and maromi MacBookAir6,2), so it is not likely a mistake in SMBIOS data (eg. bad board-id/serial#). But you should probably compare other SMBIOS data that the system might be using to select FxxPxxxx vs. FxxTxxxx. Or maybe it is something peculiar in EDID?

You two should probably compare notes/research...

Back