Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Skylake NUC6 (and Skull Canyon) using Clover UEFI (NUC6i5SYK, NUC6i7KYK, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
Can m.2 wifi+bt BCM94350ZAE work with skull canyon?

You would at least need an adapter due to m.2 2280 vs. m.2 2230.
And not sure if the BT would work as the 2280 m.2 may not connect the USB pins (some soldering to connect to an internal header may help with that, should it be required).

RehabMan,

Can I request a clean install step by step for High Sierra? Was reading your guide on page 1, and due to a lot of special notes, the guide seemingly jumped from preparation of usb ---> post installation. I also got confused as I thought from the first line "The purpose of this guide is to provide a step-by-step guide to install High Sierra" this is direct to High Sierra? Is this an upgrade guide? Please share as well where I can download files such as IntelMausiEthernet. Thanks.

Sorry for sort of hijacking the thread, if I could have messaged specific users I would have done (specifically @diskdude), but I'm halfway through replacing the awful stock paste on the Skull Canyon with liquid metal as mentioned earlier in the thread, and noticed that there is a recess/hole in the heating block that sits above the CPU.

Given that you're supposed to spread an extremely thin layer of liquid metal paste on the surfaces, and that it never really solidifies, is it a good candidate for this product? I can't imagine it will 'fill' that hole?
Thanks

It would've been good to start a new thread. The biggest problem with these forums is the rabbit warren nature of information scattered everywhere. ;-) Great to see you repasting your NUC either way!

I doubt these holes would be much of an issue; I'd be surprised if the OEM paste would do much in the way of transferring heat from the die in the "hole area"... I'd expect to see a tiny hot spot that's probably not significant either way. If you have a thermal camera, it would be interesting if you could see it!

Also (I'm still cleaning it) assuming(?) the frame around the edge is aluminium it would get corroded by any liquid metal that came into contact with it. You could cover it in tape but then it would raise the heatsink higher off the CPU.

Only place the liquid metal over the chip die and nowhere else. There is sufficient gap between the die and the frame. I'm not concerned about the liquid metal reaching the die: it would have to "leak" over. I've not taken the heatsink off my unit since applying the liquid metal to explicitly check, but I have since disassembled the unit and if there was sufficient spill over, I'd have probably seen it without removing the heatsink.

In conclusion to my thermal paste questions above, I would not recommend using Liquid Metal in the Skull Canyon. Intel has confirmed that there are aluminium components under the heatsink and the gallium in the paste will obliterate any that it touches. Apologies for the disruption to the thread, happy hackintoshing :) Cheers

The Intel response was literally "Regarding the heatsink, I was able to confirm that it has aluminum in its components." They might be referring to the aluminum brackets that attach the heatsink to the motherboard. I really doubt they're using an alloy comprising aluminum and copper for the heatsink and heat pipe...

RehabMan,

Can I request a clean install step by step for High Sierra? Was reading your guide on page 1, and due to a lot of special notes, the guide seemingly jumped from preparation of usb ---> post installation. I also got confused as I thought from the first line "The purpose of this guide is to provide a step-by-step guide to install High Sierra" this is direct to High Sierra? Is this an upgrade guide? Please share as well where I can download files such as IntelMausiEthernet. Thanks.

Read post #1.
Follow as written.

External HDDs work when plugged in when powering on the NUC as long as legacy mode for thunderbolt is enabled. Just plug any device in while the NUC is still powered down, start MacOS and reboot. After this the device will work (Ethernet card, Thunderbolt 2 Belkin Dock etc..). The idea of getting an eGPU Thunderbolt enclosure is starting to look very interesting now, if only the proper initialisation of the Thunderbolt chip(s) could be done before the OS actually boots.
Hi, sparc1234!
I have done all actions described by you in this post in BIOS for connection of the TB3(USB3) device - to-TB2 adapter to the NUC6I7KYK, but, haven't received positive result.
I assume that it is necessary to use other OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi driver, but it isn't sure. I ask you to help! How did you adjust CLOVER for work of Thunderbolt? Thanks in advance for the answer.

Hi, Rehabman!
I have established 10.13.1 using your instruction. Everything stated works!
I want to express huge gratitude to you!
Thanks, I am happy with the Hacintosh!

hi RehabMan, I try to connect a 4K monitor(LG 32UD99) via type-c, and found that the solution is only 1080P, not 4k, moreover, usb3 ports of the monitor doesn't work also. any suggestion? thanks.

Hi, sparc1234!
I have done all actions described by you in this post in BIOS for connection of the TB3(USB3) device - to-TB2 adapter to the NUC6I7KYK, but, haven't received positive result.
I assume that it is necessary to use other OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi driver, but it isn't sure. I ask you to help! How did you adjust CLOVER for work of Thunderbolt? Thanks in advance for the answer.

OsxAptioFixDrv has to do with RAM allocation if I’m correct. Simply connect the TB2 device to the adapter and boot. If that doesn’t work you might need to install Windows 10 (doesn’t have to be activated) and install the thunderbolt drivers and attach the TB device to activate the chip/update the firmware. No idea if this is required though.

Last edited:
Hi,

MacOS 10.13.2 requires Lilu v1.2.1. It seems the repository isn’t updated yet and updating your OS without it will cause a endless boot loop. So unless you know how to update Lilu yourself it’s a good idea to wait a few days or so.

Thanks,
Roel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back