Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Skylake NUC6 (and Skull Canyon) using Clover UEFI (NUC6i5SYK, NUC6i7KYK, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey NUC heads,
I made my first Hackintosh yesterday thanks to this thorough guide. I'm not looking for a solution to this documented problem, but I just wanted to raise awareness...

I bought the slim i3 Skylake NUC (NUC6i3SYK) that was recently on sale for $220. Using these instructions worked a treat for El Cap. Audio worked, no video issues, added an Edimax USB WiFi adapter that works great...surprisingly peppy performance overall.

However, I did an in-place Sierra 10.12.2 upgrade via the App Store and it broke graphics due to a known issue with HD 5xx graphics (the i3 NUC is the only Core i model without Iris) causing corruption. There's a solution for this issue but it seems like it is causing other problems for some so I'm wary of giving it a shot at the moment.

I'll be reinstalling El Cap 10.11.6 since it seems very stable and I recommend that i3 folks do the same unless you're willing to try the Sierra fixes. Thank you very much and all the kudos to RehabMan!

Read post #1, "Problem Reporting". It is easy to add the solution to SSDT-IGPU, but I need to see your ioreg to know which device-id is affected.

I assume it is 0x1916, HD520... in which case the fix is:
Code:
SPEEDY-NUC:nuc.git rehabman$ git diff SSDT-IGPU.dsl 
diff --git a/SSDT-IGPU.dsl b/SSDT-IGPU.dsl
index 7dcf0ba..478f9ea 100644
--- a/SSDT-IGPU.dsl
+++ b/SSDT-IGPU.dsl
@@ -67,6 +67,7 @@ DefinitionBlock ("", "SSDT", 2, "hack", "igpu", 0)
                     "AAPL,ig-platform-id", Buffer() { 0x00, 0x00, 0x16, 0x19 },
                     "hda-gfx", Buffer() { "onboard-1" },
                     "RM,device-id", Buffer() { 0x16, 0x19, 0x00, 0x00 },
+                    "AAPL,GfxYTile", Buffer() { 1, 0, 0, 0 },
                 },
                 // Skylake/HD540
                 0x1926, 0, Package()

Read post #1, "Problem Reporting". It is easy to add the solution to SSDT-IGPU, but I need to see your ioreg to know which device-id is affected.

Hi! I wasn't trying to solve a problem that's already been covered plenty, like I said just raising awareness since nobody here seems to have the i3 version of the Skylake NUC. Thanks!

Just followed this guide on my NUC Skull Canyon
I am super happy with it! Working great so far!
Geekbench 4 SC 3896 MC 13977
Anybody tried Bluetooth and Handoff with a Broadcom m.2 PCIE? The Skull has 2 m.2 slots one is taken by my SSD (WD BLUE 275 GB) the other one free. Could this work?

I had some better luck using DP with the "IGD Minimum Memory" BIOS setting set to 64MB instead of 128MB. I'm not sure why I had picked that in the first.. seems like there is no reason to set this any higher since the OS dynamically allocates the size anyways. @RehabMan, maybe update the guide?

Wake from sleep still doesn't work for me on HDMI or DP though. Is there a log to look at?

Last edited:
Anybody tried Bluetooth and Handoff with a Broadcom m.2 PCIE? The Skull has 2 m.2 slots one is taken by my SSD (WD BLUE 275 GB) the other one free. Could this work?

Recently discussed starting at post #85...

Wake from sleep still doesn't work for me on HDMI or DP though. Is there a log to look at?

See if you have the same problem with a non-4k display.

Current issue
Cannot use DisplayPort as monitor drops signal (goes blank, flickers off, black screen) for 1 to 2 seconds recurrently every 5 to 7 seconds. I followed the guide assiduously. And I have determined definitively that this is not related to voltage or cabling - same setup works fine with Windows and Linux. HDMI works perfectly. My BIOS settings are as per the guide.

Background
Today I have reformatted and reinstalled, upgrading to 10.12.2 from this guide. I have SC + 32GB Corsair DDR4 RAM + Intel SSD6 256GB NVME drive + LG 27" 4K Monitor (27UD68-W). Interesting thing is if I remove one of the 16GB RAM sticks the problem is VASTLY improved - occurs much less frequently (couple of times an hour), unless watching video when it occurs much more frequently and randomly - sometimes 3 times in a row, sometimes with a space of 5 or 10 minutes. The minor error messages on verbose boot don't differ between usage of HDMI or DP.

Please help

You wouldnt happen to have Corsair CMSO32GX4M2A2133C15 16 GB (2 x 32GB) 2133mhz memory would you?
https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000020648.html
According to Intel, its known to have "instability, monitor flickering, monitor blanking."

See if you have the same problem with a non-4k display.

Unfortunately I only have 1 display and its 4K. Using DP, I also have some issues with locking the computer and screen turning off and then not turning back on. The display says its getting a signal from the computer but its just a black screen with the backlight on. I was able to successfully get it to display the desktop again by unplugging the miniDP end from the NUC and plugging it back in. I'll try and post the errors from dmesg in a bit.

(Ive set the computer to never sleep for now to avoid the sleep problem)

Problem with AppleALC and these patches is audio is disabled after a sleep/wake cycle. In fact, full sleep not needed to reproduce the bug, just "display sleep" (eg. Apple->Sleep followed by immediate wake).

Will experiment a bit more and update later.

Update: Instead of using CodecCommander.kext for pinconfigs, used PinConfigs.kext (which is just an injector for AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver). Removing CodecCommander and using PinConfig.kext seems to fix the sleep problem. Not sure if it is contention between CodecCommander, different pinconfigs, or use of AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver that fixes it. Of course, we need different PinConfigs/layout/platforms for the NUC in any case. And I don't want to actually use AppleALC (it is too inefficient with memory). More updates later.

I now have it working (the two anti-pop patches, without AppleALC.kext). Had to tweak CodecCommander configuration slightly.

I updated details at post #97.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back