Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Skylake NUC6 (and Skull Canyon) using Clover UEFI (NUC6i5SYK, NUC6i7KYK, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange - my computer boots into windows and clover is nowhere to be found. Renamed the microsoft efi file in /efi/microsoft/boot and replaced the clover efi file into /efi/microsoft/boot/bootmfgw.efi and it returned. Now it does the same thing as before and OSX reboots right before it's ready to get into the desktop. I ran through the entire guide and still nothing also did the kextcache command. I'm stumped. Maybe I will wait for Sierra.

Last edited:
Strange - my computer boots into windows and clover is nowhere to be found. Renamed the microsoft efi file in /efi/microsoft/boot and replaced the clover efi file into /efi/microsoft/boot/bootmfgw.efi and it returned. Now it does the same thing as before and OSX reboots right before it's ready to get into the desktop. I ran through the entire guide and still nothing also did the kextcache command. I'm stumped. Maybe I will wait for Sierra.

You are using the wrong procedure. With this computer, no need to rename bootmgfw.efi (and you're doing it wrong anyway).

Use efibootmgr in Linux to set the default UEFI entry to Clover.
It is in post #2 of the main Clover guide (which is linked from post #1 here).

If you have an issue booting OS X...
Boot verbose, show photo. Attach EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (omit 'themes' folder).

Keep in mind first boot after setting everything up must be "without caches"...

Hi RehabMan

Thank you for your guide - this is awesome.

As far as I can tell I've followed the initial BIOS and USB installer steps, but unfortunately I can't get my usb installer to load. I'm seeing the prohibited sign mid-way through the progress bar, and booting verbose indicates 'waiting for root device' which I understand indicates a USB hardware issue. I have tried with both a USB 2 and USB 3 (front left) drive for the installer, but no luck. I'm sure I'm missing something simple. I have attached a zip of my EFI without themes - do you mind taking a look?

I already have Windows 10/Ubuntu 16.4 on a Samsung 950 Pro (not sure if this makes any difference), and plan to use a SM 951 AHCI for El Capitan.

Attachments

• problem_reporting.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Hi RehabMan

Thank you for your guide - this is awesome.

As far as I can tell I've followed the initial BIOS and USB installer steps, but unfortunately I can't get my usb installer to load. I'm seeing the prohibited sign mid-way through the progress bar, and booting verbose indicates 'waiting for root device' which I understand indicates a USB hardware issue. I have tried with both a USB 2 and USB 3 (front left) drive for the installer, but no luck. I'm sure I'm missing something simple. I have attached a zip of my EFI without themes - do you mind taking a look?

I already have Windows 10/Ubuntu 16.4 on a Samsung 950 Pro (not sure if this makes any difference), and plan to use a SM 951 AHCI for El Capitan.

The guide recommends Clover v3625. You have v3726. I have not tested with v3726 yet.

Always try all USB ports, with both USB2 and USB3 sticks. I used a USB3 stick inserted in the port mentioned in post #1.

Note: If you use USBInjectAll.kext, you will likely get a wider selection of ports to use (especially with a USB2 stick).

Last edited:
Dual boot windows/OSX. Recently noticed that the Clover boot loader screen shows a second option to boot windows (both work) and then the one to boot OSX.

Using bcfg boot dump shows 3 entries:

00 OS Bootloader, Variable Boot0002
01 Windows Boot Manager, Variable Boot0000
02 Clover UEFI , Variable Boot0001 (<- added manually)

With efibootmgr after booting into ubuntu I can see:
0000 Windows Boot Manager
0001 Clover UEFI
0002 UEFI : Samsung ---Bootloader
0003 UEFI : USB SanDIsk (Ubuntu)

I tried to set the boot order to use entry 1 first which appears to take, but after a reboot it reverts to 0002, 0003, 0001, 0000

Uploaded a couple of screen shots of the above. I'm trying to remove the 2nd option to boot to windows, but not sure how to do it?

Attachments

• bcfg_boot_dump.jpg
    bcfg_boot_dump.jpg
    943.7 KB · Views: 118
  • efibootmgr.jpg
    efibootmgr.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 167
Dual boot windows/OSX. Recently noticed that the Clover boot loader screen shows a second option to boot windows (both work) and then the one to boot OSX.

Using bcfg boot dump shows 3 entries:

00 OS Bootloader, Variable Boot0002
01 Windows Boot Manager, Variable Boot0000
02 Clover UEFI , Variable Boot0001 (<- added manually)

With efibootmgr after booting into ubuntu I can see:
0000 Windows Boot Manager
0001 Clover UEFI
0002 UEFI : Samsung ---Bootloader
0003 UEFI : USB SanDIsk (Ubuntu)

I tried to set the boot order to use entry 1 first which appears to take, but after a reboot it reverts to 0002, 0003, 0001, 0000

Uploaded a couple of screen shots of the above. I'm trying to remove the 2nd option to boot to windows, but not sure how to do it?

Clover only scans for potential boot targets based on the content of disks/partitions.
Check your Clover bootlog.

The guide recommends Clover v3625. You have v3726. I have not tested with v3726 yet.

Always try all USB ports, with both USB2 and USB3 sticks. I used a USB3 stick inserted in the port mentioned in post #1.

Note: If you use USBInjectAll.kext, you will likely get a wider selection of ports to use (especially with a USB2 stick).

Thanks RehabMan - Clover v3625 with USBInjectAll.kext and a USB 2 stick and got me to installation, so that's great. Out of interest I tried the same combination with a USB 3 stick, but this still didn't work for me. No matter - problem solved.

Please fill out your profile so we know which NUC model you have.
Nuc6i7kyk w/ 32 GB RAM 512 GB 950 Pro + Crucial mx300 (W10) + Startech Thunderbolt adapter. My iMac shows up over a thunderbolt network in windows but nothing in macOS. I couldn't install the Golden Master a couple weeks ago. Does App Store upgrade work now? Sierra seems really buggy on my iMac so I'm not sure I want to dive in on my rock solid Hackintosh thanks to your guide.

Nuc6i7kyk w/ 32 GB RAM 512 GB 950 Pro + Crucial mx300 (W10) + Startech Thunderbolt adapter.

Please... in your profile as requested.

My iMac shows up over a thunderbolt network in windows but nothing in macOS. I couldn't install the Golden Master a couple weeks ago. Does App Store upgrade work now? Sierra seems really buggy on my iMac so I'm not sure I want to dive in on my rock solid Hackintosh thanks to your guide.

I was able to install the GM by following the guide as written.

I had no success installing sierra as it just reboots after install into 10.11.6. Perhaps it is a blessing in disguise as my iMac kernel panics with my Pegasus J4 or locks up. I cannot get the Pegasus to be recognized nor my Little Big Disk but I did get it to see a LaCie Thunderbolt Drive today that I just got refurbed. Wish I had non TB1 devices to test but I invested early in it. Just glad I have Thunderbolt working. Perhaps the Pegasus Driver needs to be loaded into Clover?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back