Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

I don’t think any of the “serialization” errors are legit. It should boot
My goal for testing OCAT was using your EFI ( OC 0.7.5) let OCAT update it and see the differences with your EFI ( OC 0.7.6 ).
It works and boot fine.

My goal for testing OCAT was using your EFI ( OC 0.7.5) let OCAT update it and see the differences with your EFI ( OC 0.7.6 ).
It works and boot fine.
My input would be that's good the tool works but that you should also be able to compare the two config.plists yourself and be able to tell if the OCAT version is viable. Its relatively easy to do with a little patience and how I update from one version to the next. I open both versions in a plist editor side by side and compare entries. If I'm not sure about a newer setting I check it again the Dortania install guide. That and downloading the newer version of kexts is all it takes.

So there must have been something in the 7.5 folder that my system didn't like. After a couple of days of beating my head against this I decided to try dropping back a bit and I replaced the 7.5 files on my EFI mount point with everything in the 7.4. Low and behold, everything booted up as expected and I am now going through the install of Monterey on my NUC8i7BEH. :headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:
Same here. 7.5 didn't work, but 7.4 worked for me. Big thanks to @Leesureone and everyone who contributed. Much appreciated.

Same here. 7.5 didn't work, but 7.4 worked for me. Big thanks to @Leesureone and everyone who contributed. Much appreciated.
I uploaded version 7.6 the other day, not a lot of significant changes for this platform unless you dual boot some version of linux.

I uploaded version 7.6 the other day, not a lot of significant changes for this platform unless you dual boot some version of linux.
Thanks @Leesureone. I just tried it today and it's working for me. With 7.4, I couldn't get bluetooth to work, but BT works with 7.6.

Another thing I've been noticing... It takes about 1:57 secs to get to the login screen.

With 7.4, I see that it hangs at this point:

Code:
com.apple.xpc.launched | 2021-12-28 18:13:54.368592 <Notice>: Doing boot task: bootroot

and then again at this point:

Code:
tx_flush:751: disk2 tx xid 4997748 was closed for 7329459 us waiting to prepare flush
tx_enter_Internal:2258: disk2 waited 7348334 us to open tx xid 4997749 (nx_tx_wait_closed)
tx_flush:751: disk2 tx xid 4997749 was closed for 2255595 us waiting to prepare flush
tx_enter_Internal:2258: disk2 waited 2266197 us to open tx xid 4997750 (nx_tx_wait_closed)
tx_flush:751: disk2 tx xid 4997758 was closed for 6573588 us waiting to prepare flush
tx_enter_Internal:2258: disk2 waited 2583869 us to open tx xid 4997751 (nx_tx_wait_closed)
ignoring kextcache invocation from early boot

With 7.6, It hangs at this point:

Code:
com.apple.xpc.launched | 2021-12-28 20:06:00.573207 <Notice>: Doing boot task: bootroot

Do you know what I can do to get it to startup faster (just for 7.6)?

Thanks!

Thanks @Leesureone. I just tried it today and it's working for me. With 7.4, I couldn't get bluetooth to work, but BT works with 7.6.

Another thing I've been noticing... It takes about 1:57 secs to get to the login screen.

With 7.4, I see that it hangs at this point:

Code:
com.apple.xpc.launched | 2021-12-28 18:13:54.368592 <Notice>: Doing boot task: bootroot

and then again at this point:

Code:
tx_flush:751: disk2 tx xid 4997748 was closed for 7329459 us waiting to prepare flush
tx_enter_Internal:2258: disk2 waited 7348334 us to open tx xid 4997749 (nx_tx_wait_closed)
tx_flush:751: disk2 tx xid 4997749 was closed for 2255595 us waiting to prepare flush
tx_enter_Internal:2258: disk2 waited 2266197 us to open tx xid 4997750 (nx_tx_wait_closed)
tx_flush:751: disk2 tx xid 4997758 was closed for 6573588 us waiting to prepare flush
tx_enter_Internal:2258: disk2 waited 2583869 us to open tx xid 4997751 (nx_tx_wait_closed)

With 7.6, It hangs at this point:

Code:
com.apple.xpc.launched | 2021-12-28 20:06:00.573207 <Notice>: Doing boot task: bootroot

Do you know what I can do to get it to startup faster (just for 7.6)?

Thanks!
Well longer boot times with Monterey and certain Nvme SSDs is now a documented issue. You don’t mention if it is Monterey you are running or if you use the Nvme port to boot from but that would make sense. Which version of the OS and what drive are you using?

Well longer boot times with Monterey and certain Nvme SSDs is now a documented issue. You don’t mention if it is Monterey you are running or if you use the Nvme port to boot from but that would make sense. Which version of the OS and what drive are you using?
That must be the reason. I am running Monterey from a Samsung 970 EVO Nvme drive.

What are the steps to create a unique serial number or to keep previous serial numbers from previous setups? I tried to generate one from Clover Configurator and OpenCore Configurator, but that did not work.

Thanks

That must be the reason. I am running Monterey from a Samsung 970 EVO Nvme drive.

What are the steps to create a unique serial number or to keep previous serial numbers from previous setups? I tried to generate one from Clover Configurator and OpenCore Configurator, but that did not work.

Thanks
That is one of the drives reported to have issues, there is also some concern the longevity of the SSD is in jeopardy. Search the site for long boot times.
As far as generating serial numbers make sure you understand the validation message from Apple, assuming that is what you believe the issue to be. It should say the serial number is invalid meaning it is unique and not been used, that is exactly what you want. If that’s not it please provide more information regarding this issue. A screen shot or something would help identify what you are seeing.

Last edited:
That is one of the drives reported to have issues, there is also some concern the longevity of the SSD is in jeopardy. Search the site for long boot times.
TRIM is broken for nearly all Samsung NVMe drives running macOS according to Acidanthera testing. Best to use them for either Windows or Linux.

Ok I'll search for "long boot times". Is there also recommendations for alternative drives that would work better? I had this nvme drive for Mojave and it seemed fine and booted really fast for me.

As far as generating serial numbers make sure you understand the validation message from Apple, assuming that is what you believe the issue to be. It should say the serial number is invalid meaning it is unique and not been used, that is exactly what you want. If that’s it please provide more information regarding this issue. A screen shot or something would help identify what you are seeing.
Attached is a screenshot of where I just see "ADD" for the Serial Number. I had a serial number while using Mojave, but when I switched to OpenCore for Monterey, I don't know how to transfer the serial number I had before (if possible) or generate a new one.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-21 at 11.28.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-21 at 11.28.46 AM.png
    59.5 KB · Views: 34
Back