Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Did you try setting Thunderbolt to "Legacy" in the security tab of the bios? Thats what I have to do to get it to see my hard drives.
"Couldn't Allocate runtime area" means something borked your EFI folder. Typically you get that error when the memory driver is wrong, if you still have your USB drive boot from that or rebuild it with one of my EFi folders. It should allow you to get back onto your hard drive.
Hey Leesureone,
I now tried every possible BIOS (0078) adjustment regarding Thunderbolt but Apples TB Display is not working. So then I keep it for my macbookpro. No problem. But now I have to install my NUC again from the beginning...I decided to run mojave final version 10.14.6 due to an older tcelectronic audiointerface, which has not been updated with 64bit drivers...
So my question is: If I install mojave on an ext. SSD on my macbookpro, then copy your "NUC8CatEFI" to the EFI Partition it should work on my NUC8...right? Thank you so much for all your attention...

Hey Leesureone,
I now tried every possible BIOS (0078) adjustment regarding Thunderbolt but Apples TB Display is not working. So then I keep it for my macbookpro. No problem. But now I have to install my NUC again from the beginning...I decided to run mojave final version 10.14.6 due to an older tcelectronic audiointerface, which has not been updated with 64bit drivers...
So my question is: If I install mojave on an ext. SSD on my macbookpro, then copy your "NUC8CatEFI" to the EFI Partition it should work on my NUC8...right? Thank you so much for all your attention...
Even easier you can use CCloner (Carbon Copy Cloner for Mac) which you can download and use free for 30 days. Copy your Laptop hard drive over to your NUC hard drive and after mount your EFI folder and add in one of my EFI folders. Really creating the installation USB is pretty easy and installation probably takes about the same time. You can still download Mojave but like the old saying goes...whatever works.

Even easier you can use CCloner (Carbon Copy Cloner for Mac) which you can download and use free for 30 days. Copy your Laptop hard drive over to your NUC hard drive and after mount your EFI folder and add in one of my EFI folders. Really creating the installation USB is pretty easy and installation probably takes about the same time. You can still download Mojave but like the old saying goes...whatever works.

maybe do Timemachine back up on your Macbookpro and then restore on a freshly installed copy of Mojave on hackintosh environment? would make sure to have SMBIOS set up correctly if you use iMessage or iCloud.

That's a good thought, but not sure how is it going to work with the change of hardware cloning your MBP drive and replacing EFI folders. Again make sure your SMBIOS is properly set for iMessage or iCloud if you go either route.

maybe do Timemachine back up on your Macbookpro and then restore on a freshly installed copy of Mojave on hackintosh environment? would make sure to have SMBIOS set up correctly if you use iMessage or iCloud.

That's a good thought, but not sure how is it going to work with the change of hardware cloning your MBP drive and replacing EFI folders. Again make sure your SMBIOS is properly set for iMessage or iCloud if you go either route.
CCloner is way faster and the Symbios info is set by the EFI folder so its pretty straight forward.

Last edited:
Guys I'm so happy! The little NUC runs really fast and stable. I decided doing a fresh install cause the NUC is primarily there for making music...So I installed a fresh mojave on an external SSD attached to my MBP, installed your "NUC8EFIOC5.8-2" to the EFI partition. This SSD I build into the NUC and it runs so great...feels better, faster and somehow more stable than with clover...supercool...then I set my SMBIOS and everything is fine now...I can't wait to see how Logic performs...honestly I say THANK YOU!!!

Back