Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

How did you update from Mojave to Catalina?

Greetings
schlotterp
Software update. Update your kexts using Hackintool, back up and make sure your boot disk works first.

Has anyone here tried moving to OpenCore yet on Catalina? Struggling to get the EC working.

Has anyone here tried moving to OpenCore yet on Catalina? Struggling to get the EC working.
I had it going a few months ago but without full functionality, there's really no advantage and support being its still in beta is pretty thin. I know I wouldn't be able to support anyone very well with it.

If I would like to install the DW1560 WIFI card in the nuc I will need to buy antennas and adaptor for the m.2 or is fine with just the card?

If I would like to install the DW1560 WIFI card in the nuc I will need to buy antennas and adaptor for the m.2 or is fine with just the card?
Yes, you need the adapter, replacement antennas and the USB cable with the right connectors

Hi everyone, I've got a NUC8i3BEH (with BIOS 77) and after many attempts to do a clean install of Mojave (10.14.6) without success, I finally tried the CATNUC8EFI.zip as posted by Leesureone (many thanks to him) and with success! Everything seems to work fine (sound, bluetooth, wired network, USB ports), even without doing the post install.

To new users trying to load Mojave on an NUC8x please be aware this guide is no longer being maintained.
With recent bios updates being pushed out by Intel above version 56 as well as updates by Apple to Mojave beyond 14.2 the guide has become outdated and no longer works as is.

Two additional things are needed at a minimum to be able to reach the Mojave install window.

1. An updated version of the Clover bootloader must be installed, I suggest version 4290 or higher, although slightly older versions will probably work but have not been tested. Rehabman’s version available through the terminal commands in his original guide on Github will cause the installer to halt.

2. An updated config.plist containing an ACPI/DSDT/Patch for an RTC issue that will also cause the installer to stall if your bios is a version higher than 56

***Some users are also apparently unaware that their Samsung 970 EVO plus SSD will also cause install failure if the firmware is not updated first. Visit the Samsung Website for instructions on how to create a bootable USB drive for firmware updates.

The attached EFI folder has all of the above as well as some fixes for onboard Audio and USB C functionality.

If you decide to use it it’s as simple as creating a bootable USB drive using UniBeast and then replacing the EFI folder with the attached.

Once Mojave install is complete and you have then installed an updated version of Clover to your hard drive replace the EFI folder on your hard drive with the same attached folder to finish the job. Afterwards I highly suggest you use Clover Configurator to create a unique serial number (although “continuity” is not an issue unless you have gone the route of adding a Wireless/ Bluetooth card in the one available M2 slot with the appropriate adapter mentioned in various NUC posts). Cheers

Edit: If you have issues with crackling sound from the headphone jack several users have reported success installing all kexts, with the exception of FakeSMC.kext, to the Library/Extensions folder. Audio over HDMI and the headphone jack both should work. (You can probably install all of kexts there, including FakeSMC.kext, if you prefer)

Updated EFI with Clover Version 5100, Catalina Ready 12/14/19

works with nuc8beh mojave 10.4.6 with bios 71
thank you..

Hi everyone, I've got a NUC8i3BEH (with BIOS 77) and after many attempts to do a clean install of Mojave (10.14.6) without success, I finally tried the CATNUC8EFI.zip as posted by Leesureone (many thanks to him) and with success! Everything seems to work fine (sound, bluetooth, wired network, USB ports), even without doing the post install.
Glad to hear you got your unit working. There is no need of post install as page 1 of this guide is now out of date.
The only thing you need to do is to add unique serial number etc afterwards as Leesureone's EFI folder has it left blank.

Here is a link on how to do it.

I think I know why or have a theory. Try this version instead and let me know.

Thank you! Your EFI folder worked flawlessly, both with Mojave and Catalina!
I can't get Clover to countdown and remember the last booted volume. Can you give me a hand with that? For the rest my i7 8th is working absolutely PERFECT. Thanks to you!

Thank you! Your EFI folder worked flawlessly, both with Mojave and Catalina!
I can't get Clover to countdown and remember the last booted volume. Can you give me a hand with that? For the rest my i7 8th is working absolutely PERFECT. Thanks to you!
That's great you are up and running. To change the Clover default boot options its easiest to use Clover Configurator. Using it mount your EFI partition on the hard drive and navigate to and open the config.plist. From there select the "Boot" tab on the right and it will open the boot settings options. I've attached a screen grab of my laptop boot settings as an example, on the left you can see the multiple boot arguments that will run and on the right the option to pick a specific hard drive to boot or last booted volume as well as the default time it waits before starting to boot. Customize it to your preferences.

Clover Boot Options.png

Back