Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

update to 11.3 no issues with pg90/0.68

update to 11.3 WITH issues, my NUCi8i7 can not wake up from sleep with pg90/0.68 and even returning to my perfect running OC .66, Big Sur 11.3 refuses to wake up from sleep.

I remap USB, etc etc

:(

Hi @Lessureone

Do you have any suggestion on how to try to fix this sleep/wake issue that is driving me crazy?, I tried several things, repamping USB, using several OC configurations and versions that worked in the past, using exactly your latest EFI folder, uninstalling software, etc etc but after working very well in BS 11.2 now with BS 11.3 my machine hangs when try to wake up from sleeping, have you tried to update to 11.3?

Thank you for help!

EDIT: I think it is something related with Thunderbolt, if I disable thunderbolt in the BIOS, my NUC works fine again, 14 months ago I flashed my thunderbolt onboard firmware using a flasher trying to get a thunderbolt 3 full experience like hotplug etc, never worked so I never connected anything to the port but neither I had any conflict like sleeping, etc , I dont know whats going on with 11.3 but something changed here related to thunderbolt....

Last edited:
Thank You @Lessureone for OC 6.8, made switching to OS 11.3 that much easier!

Still have question, how to run headless? Is it possible and where to search? I have another NUC8i7 running headless on Clover/Mojave, I'd like to convert that one also to OC. TIA.

Thank You @Lessureone for OC 6.8, made switching to OS 11.3 that much easier!

Still have question, how to run headless? Is it possible and where to search? I have another NUC8i7 running headless on Clover/Mojave, I'd like to convert that one also to OC. TIA.
Headless means using a dedicated dGPU for display and the iGPU for computations only. How are you doing that on an NUC or am I missing something?

Hi @Lessureone

Do you have any suggestion on how to try to fix this sleep/wake issue that is driving me crazy?, I tried several things, repamping USB, using several OC configurations and versions that worked in the past, using exactly your latest EFI folder, uninstalling software, etc etc but after working very well in BS 11.2 now with BS 11.3 my machine hangs when try to wake up from sleeping, have you tried to update to 11.3?

Thank you for help!

EDIT: I think it is something related with Thunderbolt, if I disable thunderbolt in the BIOS, my NUC works fine again, 14 months ago I flashed my thunderbolt onboard firmware using a flasher trying to get a thunderbolt 3 full experience like hotplug etc, never worked so I never connected anything to the port but neither I had any conflict like sleeping, etc , I dont know whats going on with 11.3 but something changed here related to thunderbolt....
Sorry for the late response, I wasn't getting notifications of new postings. When you say you flashed the Thunderbolt controller and that may be the issue are you able can to flash it back?

Sorry for the late response, I wasn't getting notifications of new postings. When you say you flashed the Thunderbolt controller and that may be the issue are you able can to flash it back?
Thanks @Leesureone
I will try to flash it back this weekend.
I think something changed with 11.3, have you had the chance to try it with your nuc8? do you notice any different thunderbolt's behavior with your unflashed unit?

Headless means using a dedicated dGPU for display and the iGPU for computations only. How are you doing that on an NUC or am I missing something?
@Leesureone

I have no idea. It is an NUC8I7, Mojave 14.6, Screen & File share on and the HDMI and USb-C are empty, only Ethernet and Usb-HD. Is Clover, based on one of your versions from ± 1.5 year ago. No recollection what or how was changed, but it works.

See attached Clover folder and screenshot Lib/Ext. Maybe you can unravel this mystery/fluke.
TIA

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    6 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Thanks @Leesureone
I will try to flash it back this weekend.
I think something changed with 11.3, have you had the chance to try it with your nuc8? do you notice any different thunderbolt's behavior with your unflashed unit?
Yes I updated and it’s behaves the same, there are other users reporting issues with their USB configuration after updating but from what I’ve read it wasn’t set up properly to begin with.

@Leesureone

I have no idea. It is an NUC8I7, Mojave 14.6, Screen & File share on and the HDMI and USb-C are empty, only Ethernet and Usb-HD. Is Clover, based on one of your versions from ± 1.5 year ago. No recollection what or how was changed, but it works.

See attached Clover folder and screenshot Lib/Ext. Maybe you can unravel this mystery/fluke.
TIA
I think it’s possible you are confused. You can’t run headless with an NUC, you wouldn’t have a display, no graphics output. The one exception would be if you had an external graphics card working via thunderbolt.

Back