Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Framebuffer patching using WhateverGreen

To match that patch you should be setting portcount to 4 and removing pipecount entry.
Thanks for your help! :) That fixed it. I used Intel Framebuffer Patcher and set portcount to 4 and and pipe count to 3. Now I should disable the unused ports and set their index to -1, to avoid sleep/wake issues right? Just curious, but do you know why that fixed it? Seems a bit non-logical for me that a 4 port patch (with Displayports) is fixing my issues, even if my mainboard has only 1 DVI port.

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    88.8 KB · Views: 231
  • config.plist
    10.4 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Thanks for your help! :) That fixed it. I used Intel Framebuffer Patcher and set portcount to 4 and and pipe count to 3. Now I should disable the unused ports and set their index to -1, to avoid sleep/wake issues right? Just curious, but do you know why that fixed it? Seems a bit non-logical for me that a 4 port patch (with Displayports) is fixing my issues, even if my mainboard has only 1 DVI port.

Your original patch is called "10.11-SKL-1912000-4_displays" so it's supposed to be for enabling 4 displays. So you probably don't need the portcount patch either.

Well the reason it wasn't working is because you were setting portcount to 1. Since the first connector is disabled it didn't work. So setting the portcount to 4 just enabled them all.

When you have a monitor attached to your DVI port you can use IORegistryExplorer (search for "IGPU" entry) and look for the AppleIntelFramebuffer entry which has the "AppleDisplay" entry below it. Check out the port-number entry in AppleIntelFramebuffer which is the same as the Bus Id for the connector. I think from that you can swap all the values for this connector with connector 0 to make it the first entry and then disable the rest. I'm not entirely sure on that though? Would this work @RehabMan? If so I may add some sort of color indicator to Intel FB-Patcher to show what connectors have displays attached to them.

Last edited:
Mods do you think we should move this to Post Installation->Graphics since it's technically not just for Mojave?

Your original patch is called "10.11-SKL-1912000-4_displays" so it's supposed to be for enabling 4 displays. So you probably don't need the portcount patch either.

Well the reason it wasn't working is because you were setting portcount to 1. Since the first connector is disabled it didn't work. So setting the portcount to 4 just enabled them all.

When you have a monitor attached to your DVI port you can use IORegistryExplorer (search for "IGPU" entry) and look for the AppleIntelFramebuffer entry which has the "AppleDisplay" entry below it. Check out the port-number entry in AppleIntelFramebuffer which is the same as the Bus Id for the connector. I think from that you can swap all the values for this connector with connector 0 to make it the first entry and then disable the rest. I'm not entirely sure on that though? Would this work @RehabMan? If so I may add some sort of color indicator to Intel FB-Patcher to show what connectors have displays attached to them.
Oh that makes sense... I am going to try to change it :)

Check out the port-number entry in AppleIntelFramebuffer which is the same as the Bus Id for the connector.

From memory: port-number is 4+index, (except for index 0, which is zero [internal/LVDS connector])

And that is for modern framebuffers... Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge might be different.

I think from that you can swap all the values for this connector with connector 0 to make it the first entry and then disable the rest. I'm not entirely sure on that though? Would this work @RehabMan? If so I may add some sort of color indicator to Intel FB-Patcher to show what connectors have displays attached to them.

That's the idea... For this kind of wholesale re-org of the framebuffer connectors, framebuffer-conX-alldata is very useful.

From memory: port-number is 4+index, (except for index 0, which is zero [internal/LVDS connector])

I took a look at this last night and Bus Id appears to match port-number in AppleIntelFramebuffer exactly. So I've added support to Intel FB-Patcher to show the Display Info of connected displays (with hot plug support). I also added the ability to drag-drop the connectors to change their order. So this release should make the creation of these types of patches much easier.

Attachments

• Intel FB-Patcher 06.png
    Intel FB-Patcher 06.png
    588.6 KB · Views: 309
I took a look at this last night and Bus Id appears to match port-number in AppleIntelFramebuffer exactly.

Maybe only with CFL?

Skylake NUC6i7KYK, three ports on this box:
0105 connector (index=1,busid=5), port-number=5.
0204 connector (index=2,busid=4), port-number=6.
0306 connector (index=3,busid=6), port-number=7.

Therefore, port-number=index+4, and quite unrelated to busid.

Preliminary
1. Remove:
- FakePCIID

Bad advice. Some users may be using FakePCIIID for other purposes. The common example would be FakePCIID.kext+FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext.
There is nothing in WEG that does what FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext does.

ig-platform-id
For the AAPL,ig-platform-id (AAPL,snb-platform-id for Sandy Bridge)
Gen 2: Sandy Bridge (Intel HD Graphics 2000/3000)
- Support started with OS X 10.7.x and ended with macOS 10.13.6
- Metal support is not available
- Desktop: 0x00030010 (default)
- Laptop: 0x00010000 (default)

Note that Sandy Bridge requires WhateverGreen 1.2.3 or later.
(previous versions had SNB support completely broken).

Maybe only with CFL?

Skylake NUC6i7KYK, three ports on this box:
0105 connector (index=1,busid=5), port-number=5.
0204 connector (index=2,busid=4), port-number=6.
0306 connector (index=3,busid=6), port-number=7.

Okay thanks for that. The only two machines I had to test just happened to match that way. I'll roll out a fix for it.

Bad advice.

This information was taken directly from the AppleLife forum. Okay I'll change it to FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics

I just released an update to Intel FB-Patcher which fixes this. If you ever get a chance to test it I'd much appreciate it.

Back