Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra on the HP 8300 Elite / 6300 Pro Desktop PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Id try pulling the CMOS battery and removing power cable - leave it for 15 mins in that state and then replace and see if the SSD shows in BIOS, there is a chance the SSD is faulty but I'd suggest the CMOS settings and the UEFI data are the more likely causes of the problem.

I tried pulling the CMOS batter and removing power cable and running back up - still no luck.

I am just a bit confused how the working SSD is no longer working (started the moment the new one was plugged in) and the new 500gb is also not showing up.

I am going to purchase a usb -> sata cable today to see if my iMac or MacBook recognises the ssd.

Let me know if there is anything else I can try...

Let me know if there is anything else I can try...
From what you say Im as puzzled as you are, you could try another SATA, socket? cable? Or use the Reset command in BIOS (try this two times). If you can get it to boot from USB the only other thing I'd try (and as a last resort) is reflashing BIOS.

From what you say Im as puzzled as you are, you could try another SATA, socket? cable? Or use the Reset command in BIOS (try this two times). If you can get it to boot from USB the only other thing I'd try (and as a last resort) is reflashing BIOS.

So the drives are definitely all good. I am trying to re-flash the BIOS with the latest 3.07 but since I don't have windows anymore it's a bit tricker than expected. Hopefully that will fix the issue...

okay so I flashed the bios to the 3.04.

- ssd drives are recognised totally fine with my other Macs
- once I plug in either SSD it is not recognisable in Disk Utility of the clover menu
- I am not seeing them as devices in the BIOS menu
- The HDD still shows up fine
- Tried out different SATA cables (new ones) with no luck

That the spinning disk shows and the ssd's don't has me stumped.

and the new 500gb is also not showing up.
what changed?
If a new HDD shows and the new SSD dont - despite all the rest of the things discussed - I'd first be looking at cables and their sockets.

The hardware manual may have some info on a jumper setting that relates but Ive not looked and dont really think it has.
You are using the right SATA ports? (dk blue for main drive I think)
You could try playing with legacy mode to see if the drive is recognised in either config.
You can try looking at the security settings and Embedded security but I dont think that there's much there that would interfere and if the original ssd worked then if it is linked to security why would it not accept the original drive?.
Try preparing the drive in a separate machine in various formats - Id test in the following order - firstly delete ALL partions and check the drive is trully raw and see if its recognised then try NTFS, APFS, ExtFAT.

Whenever you get a chance, disconnect power between reboots for 30 seconds.

If you post pics of your bios settings or write them all out and Ill compare with mine.
But mostly I havnt a clue.

Last edited:
Thank you @trs96 :clap: for updating the info on this build.
Just configured one more 8300 SFF with 256G and 12 G RAM. Everything works fine :headbang: :
  • Updated the BIOS to 3.07
  • Enabled ALC 221 - worked great
  • Enabled CPU PM with i7 SSDT
  • Installed Intel Power Gadget - works fine
I didn't replace the fans or any other devices. I feel stock config is good enough.

Samsung 16GB Ram Kit at Amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G1H3UUI/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

This is new ram, not used or refurbished. $97 is the best price I've seen on a 16 GB kit in a long time. Should work in any HP 6300 or 8300 form factor except the USDT version. No heat spreaders means no problems with the SFF case's optical drive bay.
The Crucial version of this is still selling for about $129 on Amazon right now.

For Elite 8300 CMT Owners
I've located a good 24 pin to 6 pin PSU power adapter cable that you can use when replacing your existing ATX power supply if you want to also use a more powerful graphics card. The website is ModDIY.com and ships them most anywhere in the world.
Screen Shot 3.jpg

https://www.moddiy.com/products/HP-Compaq-Elite-8300-CMT-PSU-Main-Power-24%2dPin-to-6%2dPin-Adapter-Cable.html

HP SFF PC Case Modding
Found some of these pics on the internet from a creative modder that has a lot of the old HP DC 7800s. They only support Core 2 Duo CPUs so they don't really work as a Hackintosh unless you run something as old as Snow Leopard on them. He does some amazingly creative things with these very old HP SFF business machines. Click on the pictures to see them full size.

Screen Shot 4.jpg Screen Shot 5.jpg

Screen Shot 8.jpg Screen Shot 10.jpg

Realtek ALC221 and AppleALC 1.3.2
If you are using the onboard analog audio on your HP this is just a notice to avoid updating to the newest AppleALC and Lilu kexts. After testing the newest AppleALC on my HP 6300 Pro today, the system (on 10.13.6) would not boot at all. So stay with AppleALC 1.2.7 and Lilu 1.2.5.

EDIT: After disabling SIP completely the newest AppleALC works
You can easily disable SIP by using Clover Configurator. Change the CsrActiveConfig entry to 0x67 instead of 0x3 which is the default.
CsrActiveConfig.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back