Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra on the HP 8300 Elite / 6300 Pro Desktop PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just rebuilt using this guide. Using on-board sound, which is working fine but not getting any Mic options - shows 2 Line In's but plugging in a mic there doesn't work. Is it just me or is that the way it is with on-board sound? Have an external USB sound card doing the job in the meantime.
Thanks again for this guide.
I know that Nitrouze, who originally patched his DSDT for ALC221 said that the front mic (combo mic headphone jack) would not work. He never reported back that he had figured out the pinout. So I wouldn't expect that mic would work.
Nevertheless the front left jack (with microphone) is still not working (as with "Voodoo method"). This is probably due to a wrong "PinConfigurations" settings which I have not sorted out yet.
Post from 1-20-18

I've never tried the back panel mic jack as I just use a USB microphone by logitech. The sound quality is better/louder when using a USB mic.

Last edited:
Thanks trs96 - This is not a problem for me either - Ive been using a cheap usb sound card which meets all my needs without any configuring, it was just another thing to tick as done.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the guide but it seems to have stopped working for the newer builds 13.5+, I am not able to boot

I get the following error

bsd process name corresponding to current thread unknown attempting system restart mach reboot

Thank you so much for the guide but it seems to have stopped working for the newer builds 13.5+, I am not able to boot

I get the following error

bsd process name corresponding to current thread unknown attempting system restart mach reboot
Did anyone else upgrade to 10.13.5 yet? After reading this last post I was holding off...

For those who want to upgrade from 10.13.4 to the .5 version of macOS High Sierra
I just tested the Mac App Store (MAS) update (like on real Macs) on a cloned drive of my 10.13.4 install. It worked without problems. Just a few tips for those having problems.

1. Clone or backup your working system drive first.
2. Note the differences in the process of a point update vs. a clean installation.
a. After you download 10.13.5 from the MAS you'll be asked to restart to finish the installation.
b. Do not select the HFS icon farthest right, next to Recovery, when you get to the Clover Boot Menu screen. (as you did in the initial install guide)

CBM 10.13.5.png

c. Let it reboot on it's own without any pressing of the arrow keys.
3. It will reboot again, do the same thing. Let the install finish (about 20 minutes)
4. Update your Nvidia Web driver if needed, when you reach the desktop, then reboot again.

Finally you should check about this Mac to make sure you are on 10.13.5.

Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 3.38.13 PM.png

Last edited:
Has anyone seen spontaneous system restarts during hours you're away from the system? I am seeing this pretty consistently every couple days on this build:

Code: 0x0
Stackshot reason: Watchdog

Model: iMac13,2, BootROM IM131.0114.B00, 4 processors, Intel Core i7, 3.39 GHz, 28 GB, SMC 2.11f16
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, PCIe

Just want to flag that Im having an issue with the latest BIOS 3.07 , it might be me or the version of High Sierra 10.13.5 that im using but if you are currently considering updating to the latest BIOS, you should know that there is no way to go back to any earlier version.
A fresh install fails with OSX's installer telling me 'An error occurred while updating your firmware'.

it may not be related to the updated BIOS but we cant back out of the BIOS update if it is.

EDIT: Not likely related to BIOS see replies

Last edited:
Last edited:
Did the BIOS flashing to 3.07 go ok or was that not successful ?
BIOS flashed fine the error comes up on installing HS 10.13.5 from a unibeast usb - sorry edited a longer winded original

Just want to flag that Im having an issue with the latest BIOS 3.07 , it might be me or the version of High Sierra 10.13.5 that im using but if you are currently considering updating to the latest BIOS, you should know that there is no way to go back to any earlier version.
A fresh install fails with OSX's installer telling me 'An error occurred while updating your firmware'.

it may not be related to the updated BIOS but we cant back out of the BIOS update if it is.
I think that the BIOS upgrade is a red herring.
It could well be that the version of High Sierra that you are attempting to install requires a specific firmware level on a MAC.
The firmware information on a Hack is contained in the SMBIOS section of your config.plist.
An easy way to check is to first ensure that you have the latest version of Clover configurator and then use it to open your config.plist. Once you have done that go to File - Duplicate and once the duplicate has opened go to the SMBIOS section and create a new SMBIOS that is for the same model of Mac as your original config.plist.
Now compare the two and update the original with updated info from the duplicate.
Delete the duplicate and save the now modified original.

Note that Clover is supposed to update old firmware versions now, so check that your Clover is up to date too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back