Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install Catalina on the Dell Optiplex 7010 and 9010 Desktop PC

Catalina on the Dell Optiplex 7010/9010

View attachment 446958

Introduction

These are currently some of the most affordable and easy to Hackintosh PCs that are widely available for purchase. The guide for High Sierra and Mojave that I posted previously has been immensely popular, currently at over 220,000 views, so I'm posting this as an addendum to that guide. If you are new to hackintoshing follow the step by step videos and you'll have a working hack in just a few short hours. No previous experience necessary.

If you haven't bought your Optiplex yet, try to find one that has an HD4000 integrated graphics CPU. HD2500 is not supported. There are a limited number of Ivy Bridge CPUs with HD4000. Most notably, there is the i7-3770 and the i5-3475S. Get one of those two if possible. HD4000 has full support in Catalina and works flawlessly. The USFF model Optiplex will only work if you have HD4000. There is no option to install dedicated graphics in the ultra small form factor desktop.

The SMCProcessor kext attached below is optional. You can place it in the kexts/other folder if you want more accurate CPU frequency reporting. The i5 and i7 SSDTs are for CPU power management. Place the one for your CPU into the ACPI/patched folder.

Do everything in the sequence presented in the videos for the best results. Hope you enjoy your new Dell Hackintosh !
Thank you so much for this. I picked one up refurbed (MT) through micro center got right angle Sata cables and threw in a Gigabyte Rx 570 gaming edition for my daughter. Tight squeeze but it fit. Of course I swapped out the PSU for an EVGA 500 watt. This was a great guide. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for this.
Sounds like your daughter is a macOS fan in contrast to Windows. Really good budget system.
There's no need to quote post #1 all you need to do is type @trs96 for your reply.

trs96 I got an older 7010 (2013) and have difficulty switching from legacy to UEFI. Can you help out?

Thank you so much for this knowledgable guide.

I now have a working 7010SFF - i7 3770k - 16gb RAM - 256gb M2 NVME drive with SATA adapter + 1tb spinning drive.

Bluetooth:

Works perfectly with my Apple trackpad OOB.

Display port audio:

I had issues - it didn't detect my monitor as an output, I thought it was the perfect time to upgrade to the below and its much better sounding that HDMI/DP/3.5mm audio and works OOB.

Netflix:

This and Apple TV fail some sort of DRM (Chrome will work or a browser with Widevine installed). I have just bought a GK208 GT730. I thought it was OOB but it fails to boot, even after selecting the correct video card in BIOS. Is there anything additional I need to do? Or remove? My identifier?

I am on all the latest kexts.

Last edited:
@trs96 Any plan on doing this type awesome guide for HP elite desk G3/4 SFFs?

@trs96 Any plan on doing this type awesome guide for HP elite desk G3/4 SFFs?
I'd only write a guide if I have one to do the testing. Don't have any plans to buy one currently.

The 7010 form factor is perfect for me, but not for sale here in the Netherlands. Is there a OptiPlex with a similar formfactor which also works?
7020/9020 will work. Some people use the newer Skylake and Kaby Lake Optiplex models. I think those are numbered 7040/7050. Look the Dell website for more info.

Back