Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install Catalina on the Dell Optiplex 7010 and 9010 Desktop PC

Should I follow this other guide?
I haven't installed Windows & macOS on a partitioned drive before so I can't confirm it works. But I have read posts where people have had success.
When do I install Win10, "before running Multibeast"?
I don't know, read the guide or search for windows/Mac same drive.

Thanks for the link, but I'm still new to all this. Not sure I understood properly. Since I'm trying to install Catalina on an USFF Optiplex I think I could not add another disk.

Should I follow this other guide?

When do I install Win10, "before running Multibeast"?
I also have a USFF you can install a second drive Google or go to Amazon and find a CD ROM drive to 2.5 HDD converter. Not sure if I can post links but I'm using that myself. I have a SSD for osx and another for Windows. They work fine haven't had issues. Just make sure to install osx first and not connect the other drive until you have everything working.

Thank you guys! I'm really loving this forum...!

I also have a USFF you can install a second drive Google or go to Amazon and find a CD ROM drive to 2.5 HDD converter. Not sure if I can post links but I'm using that myself. I have a SSD for osx and another for Windows. They work fine haven't had issues. Just make sure to install osx first and not connect the other drive until you have everything working.

Once I'll be there... I think I'll PM you!

These are cheap and easy to use. Sata power to the SSD can be supplied from the PSU and use the Optical drive's sata cable.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRI8YFN/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
Just remembered I had one of these installed in my 2012 MBP, obviously I whipped it out. I fitted it inside my Dell 9020 SFF, pretty sure they're the same size.

IMG_1824.JPG
IMG_1830.JPG

What type of Wifi/Bluetooth card would be recommended in a USFF model? I'm currently using the one that came with the machine and Wifi works but not sure if its also bluetooth card or just wifi. Thanks

Wifi works but not sure if its also bluetooth card or just wifi.
Got to System Information -> Bluetooth and then check there.

Please could I ask how do you set the dell 7010 to automatically boot from the main APFS Catalina disc, it defaults to the recovery partition after 4 seconds which isn’t ideal as I wish to run this headless as a music server only and ideally it would immediately boot from the main drive?. Any help please and thanks for your hard work and excellent video tutorials.
Also could I ask when using Clover to generate a serial number and then checking it and saving the confit to documents should it alter the serial “about this Mac”?. As the serial in about this is completely different to the one in Clover and doesn’t seem to alter if you generate and save a different configurations?.

Last edited:
how do you set the dell 7010 to automatically boot from the main APFS Catalina disc, it defaults to the recovery partition after 4 seconds which isn’t ideal
Open your config.plist with Clover Configurator. Then click on the section for "Boot" then type in the name you gave to your hard drive for the Catalina installation where it says Default Boot Volume.

Screen Shot 9 copy.jpg

when using Clover to generate a serial number and then checking it and saving the confit to documents should it alter the serial “about this Mac”?. As the serial in about this is completely different to the one in Clover and doesn’t seem to alter if you generate and save a different configurations?
Mine always change when I generate a new one and save the changes. Maybe you aren't saving your config.plist properly. Check to make sure that all the other values you generate are being changed in "About this Mac." If not there's probably an issue with not saving the changes you make.

Back