Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install Catalina on the Dell Optiplex 7010 and 9010 Desktop PC

Does the Catalina 10.15.4 update work ok or are their any changes to be made?

I haven't tested yet as I had to loan my 7010 out to a friend that is working from home. I believe it should work with no changes.

I had no problem updating to 10.15.4.

Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 09.15.31.png

TRS96 I did have a question for you. So I have 4 monitors running on internal video (2 display ports) and Nvidia GT 710 (DVI to HDMI and HDMI Connections). They are working great and have been working great for some time, I wanna say even in mojave. However I am having an issue with display preferences, It will not load up. I have tried deleting the /Library/Preferences folder and different files I found online. I changed to SMBios to something else, and then back to normal. I cannot pinpoint when I lost the display preferences maybe when I upgraded the ram? 2 months ago. Last night I took the PC home and hooked it up to my single 32in monitor (Nvidia GT 710 DVI to HDMI) and I had display preferences.(Weird).

The images under displays do not show up. I use this Hackintosh for work and have a virtual windows 10 pro running as well. So I really do not want to reinstall. Unless I have to i guess =/.
Any Ideas?
Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 09.24.53.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 09.25.11.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 09.29.43.png

So I have 4 monitors running on internal video (2 display ports) and Nvidia GT 710 (DVI to HDMI and HDMI Connections). They are working great and have been working great for some time, I wanna say even in mojave. However I am having an issue with display preferences, It will not load up.
Try this short term experiment. In Clover do a temporary system def. change to iMac 13,2 and see if the images show up. It's probably because no 6,1 or 6,2 Mac mini ever had a dedicated Nvidia graphics card. So the iMac sysdef may make it possible. I would still stay with 6,2 anyway even if the change to 13,2 helps. The Mac mini system def helps USB ports work in ways that 13,2 doesn't. If it doesn't work, chalk it up to running macOS on hardware it was never intended for.

You can also start a support thread in Graphics to see if anyone there has ideas on a solution.

I haven't tested yet as I had to loan my 7010 out to a friend that is working from home. I believe it should work with no changes.

Going to try now, will report back :)

Hi everyone!

I'm a newbie, i don't know much about hackintosh. Recently i got a Optiplex 7010 MT, MB Dell 0KRC95, i5-3470, Intel HD Graphics 2500, 8GB Ram, this it will be work with my current config or the best it will be leave it.

Thank you for this interesting info and guide!

Best regards, Jose.

Intel HD Graphics 2500, 8GB Ram, this it will be work with my current config or the best it will be leave it.
All you need to add is a graphics card like the GT 710 and you can use this with Catalina.

All you need to add is a graphics card like the GT 710 and you can use this with Catalina.
Thank you for your fast answer, right now isn't possible for me get due to high prices in my country, for High Sierra or Mojave the best option is get one GPU also, it is?.

10.15.4 Installed perfectly fine. Optiplex 7010, i7-3770k,16gb ram, Nvidia GT740 2gb.

Try this short term experiment. In Clover do a temporary system def. change to iMac 13,2 and see if the images show up. It's probably because no 6,1 or 6,2 Mac mini ever had a dedicated Nvidia graphics card. So the iMac sysdef may make it possible. I would still stay with 6,2 anyway even if the change to 13,2 helps. The Mac mini system def helps USB ports work in ways that 13,2 doesn't. If it doesn't work, chalk it up to running macOS on hardware it was never intended for.

You can also start a support thread in Graphics to see if anyone there has ideas on a solution.

TRS96 - I tired what you suggested, however I am having the same problem. I will attach a photo. I tired 13,2 and 14,2 and I did not have any luck. Do you know of any programs or terminal code to move the monitors around?
Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at 08.13.24.png

Back