Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
[quote:2ehf5vpo]Read Post #2, I might have found a sollution. I mark this as solved for the time being.(It might be an obvious sollution, but hell what do I know?)

Nope still Kernel Panics... But not as often as before i believe[/quote:2ehf5vpo]
[SOLVED] In post #3 I've written a quick guide for this computer (may work for similar hardware). Good luck! :p

The method described in post #3 is applicable on Lion although slightly customized. I'm running 10.7.3 right now (10.6.8 -> 10.7 -> 10.7.3). I will make a guide as soon as possible!

-------------OLD MESSAGE DO NOT FOLLOW THIS!-----------------
To begin with I'm a big novice in these areas of computing and this forum together with some others have meant so much to my progression, so thank you all for that.

I got my fathers old laptop to play with when he upgraded. It has an intel cpu so i thought maybe this'll work better than my previous OSX86-builds. So i started to turn this old half-wrecked stationary laptop into a customac.

It runs good, but with some drawbacks, I'll get to them later. I shall add that i have searched thoroughly before considering to post for help.

Specification of HP Compaq nx7300:
  • Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 1.66 Ghz[/*:m:2ehf5vpo]
  • RAM: 1 GB DDRII SDRAM (667MHz)[/*:m:2ehf5vpo]
  • Screen: 15.4” WXGA (1280x800)[/*:m:2ehf5vpo]
  • Graphics: Intel GMA950[/*:m:2ehf5vpo]
  • Wireless: Intel 3945 Pro 802.11 a/b/g, Bluetooth[/*:m:2ehf5vpo]
  • Lan: Integrated Broadcom 10/100 Ethernet PCI Controller[/*:m:2ehf5vpo]

How i got to where i am now:
  1. Installed using iBoot, OSX 10.6.3 dvd and multibeast. (Had to disable one cpu core to boot from the sl disk)[/*:m:2ehf5vpo]
  2. Copied VoodooPS2Controller kext from iBoot cd (as it seems to work great).[/*:m:2ehf5vpo]
  3. Got some boot flags in place e.g. GraphicsEnabler=Yes. (The Graphics seem to work great now)[/*:m:2ehf5vpo]
  4. Combo updated 10.6.3 -> 10.6.8, installed some legacy kernel (I think it's named Darwin 10.8.0 kernel, or something) and hoped that would fix the CPU-problem.[/*:m:2ehf5vpo]
  5. Tested with different BIOS and bootflag combinations to maybe get the CPU-problem sorted.[/*:m:2ehf5vpo]
  6. Installed latest VoodooHDA pkg. (2.7.3)[/*:m:2ehf5vpo]

What i think works as it should:
  • Graphics, though it's not a good chip. (GraphicsEnabler=Yes)[/*:m:2ehf5vpo]
  • Keyboard(both internal and external. Including operation buttons like volume rocker), mouse and trackpad. (VoodooPS2Controller from iBoot disk)[/*:m:2ehf5vpo]
  • Sound (VoodooHDA 2.7.3)[/*:m:2ehf5vpo]
  • USB, all inputs are recognized, though copying from an external drive (ntfs) took way longer than it should. Might be the CPU and RAM slowing that process down.[/*:m:2ehf5vpo]
  • Lan: Works with this.[/*:m:2ehf5vpo]
  • FireWire (i think, not tested)[/*:m:2ehf5vpo]

What does not work properly:
  • Processor: I must run this dual core CPU with one core disabled. Else kernel panic at boot or in a 30min period of starting the computer. It does get quite hot also.[/*:m:2ehf5vpo]
  • Wireless: There are kexts, but they have limited functionallity. (I use a USB-tethered iPhone 1gen with MyWi-app and Wifi-connection to connect to the internets)[/*:m:2ehf5vpo]

Questions:
  1. Is there a known way/possibility to get this CPU working on Snow leopard or Lion with two cores?[/*:m:2ehf5vpo]
  2. Does this CPU have known heat problems?[/*:m:2ehf5vpo]
  3. Are there any reasons not to upgrade to Lion? (I know I need at least 2GB of memory)[/*:m:2ehf5vpo]
  4. Are there any better solutions for getting Wifi working?[/*:m:2ehf5vpo]

runningKexts.rtf

Thank you in advance! /Kygen

Attachments

• runningKexts.rtf
    9.1 KB · Views: 186
Re: HP nx7300 - must run on solo core, otherwise kernel panic.

This didn't do it. Still kernel Panics, but I think they're caused by something else now.

I may have run over a fix myself. It has been stable for >30mins or so now and I'm now able to watch 720p movie file at the same time as i connect/disconnect USB hardware, which i wasn't able to before. :D

I thought i'd test to customize smbios.plist so that it matches my machines hardware better. So i used this guide to create the best match.

I used the MacBookPro 3,1 (MBP31) tag for my system spec.

Hope that this helps anybody! (I've attached my smbios.plist so you can compare etc.)

I'm really happy right now! :)

Goodnight //Kygen

Attachments

• smbios.plist
    680 bytes · Views: 294
Re: HP nx7300 - must run on solo core, otherwise KP

This is a quick guide to a nearly 100% working nx7300 (specs in post #1) on 10.6.x.

Installation:
  1. In BIOS disable one of the two cores and enable sata native mode.[/*:m:17uiwne9]
  2. Install vanilla Snow Leopard from retail DVD. I used a 10.6.3 disk and iBoot.[/*:m:17uiwne9]
  3. Three parts: Cloverv2 bootloader. Apply DSDT fixes. Install the necessary kexts etc.[/*:m:17uiwne9]
  4. Apply updates[/*:m:17uiwne9]

Install Clover:
I used the Clover package installer(b) together with the Clover thread(a) for additional support.
Lizard(g) and mactracker(h) are two great tools when adding/editing the smbios part in the "config.plist". (MBP3,1 is very close) You can generate a uuid with the command "uuidgen" in terminal. The rest you have to edit yourself. My files are included for download below.

Apply DSDT fixes:
Be careful and read about the DSDT before you do anything with it. The software I edited the dsdt is linked as (i). If you're lazy you can use the DSDT file I provide in "Download my files" below.
  1. Edit Hpet, rtc0, tmr and pic parts in your dsdt (e). For Hpet i used an alternative edit, you can find that in post 41 on page 3.[/*:m:17uiwne9]
  2. Xristos Dual Core fix. (f)[/*:m:17uiwne9]
  3. Compile it and save as .aml file.[/*:m:17uiwne9]
  4. Copy to /EFI/ACPI/Patched[/*:m:17uiwne9]

Install the necessary kext etc.:
Kext utility is a great tool that i always use when working with kexts. Just drag the kexts on the app and you're off! (j)
With Clover i install all the kexts in /S/L/E because it has (v2 rev355) troubles loading from the /EFI/kexts directory.
  1. Install FakeSMC and optionally some monitoring kexts. (I installed FakeSMC, intelcpumonitor, oemsmbios and acpisensors) (c)[/*:m:17uiwne9]
  2. In the same folder you will find HWmonitor and some other apps. I use HWmonitor great tool for monitoring a handfull of things! Install it if you want to.[/*:m:17uiwne9]
  3. Install voodootscsync(n) and voodoopowermini (o) kexts.[/*:m:17uiwne9]
  4. Install lan driver. (m)[/*:m:17uiwne9]
  5. Install the trackpad and keyboard kexts. (d)[/*:m:17uiwne9]
  6. Install VoodooHDA. The nx7300 works great with 2.7.3. I used the .pkg install. (k)[/*:m:17uiwne9]

Install Apple updates and your system should be working great! OSX register my system as a genuine Macbook Pro, which means i can use appstore.

List of sources and downloads:

Download my files. (Please note that the files I provide here might be out of date. Use them as a complement)

What works with the method described above:
  1. CPU. (duh) I feel it does speedstep correctly and that temperatures are pretty shill. It feels fast and snappy.[/*:m:17uiwne9]
  2. Intel GMA 950. QE. It works great but this chip is not a heavy performer.[/*:m:17uiwne9]
  3. Keyboard and trackpad. All function keys work (not exactly as in windows but they work). Alla buttons are working including delete key and other non-mac keys.[/*:m:17uiwne9]
  4. Dvd-drive. It works OK. Loud but ok.[/*:m:17uiwne9]
  5. Ethernet. (Over 1GB of ram you need to add kernel-flag "max_valid_dma_addr=1024")[/*:m:17uiwne9]
  6. Bluetooth. (Be sure that its on when you leave windows or linux, software wise. It must be on both software and hardware wise to be on, and mac does not have a software switch.)[/*:m:17uiwne9]
  7. Sound works fabulously.[/*:m:17uiwne9]
  8. Firewire is detected OOB. Don't know about performance.[/*:m:17uiwne9]
  9. USB ports.[/*:m:17uiwne9]

What does not work:
  1. Wi-Fi works but you cannot connect to encrypted networks. (l)[/*:m:17uiwne9]
  2. Battery. You'll have to find your own method for getting it working since my unit is damage so that the battery isn't working any more. (My dad wrecked it... :problem: )[/*:m:17uiwne9]
  3. Sleep. I've looked into it a bit but I have not found any solution. It might not work on my setup because of the faulty motherboard.[/*:m:17uiwne9]

Big thanks to:
Bautzen for being freindly and providing me with great personal support and his guides for similar systems.
Slice and all the others behind the Clover project.
THe KiNG and Xristos for their fabulous DSDT fixes.
crazybirdy for packaging Clover.
And the rest of the community!!!

Have nice day. //Kygen

Thanks for the guide and kext inserted, I have a question about cpu on that motherboard was mounted? I am on my mount the motherboard chip set Intel 940GML, which does not support dual cores with the dsdt modified so I can mount a cpu T7200 / T2400 and use it in full swing with two cores. Tnk

Grazie per la guida e i kext inseriti, avrei una domanda da fare sulla cpu, su che scheda madre è stata montata? io sulla mia scheda madre monto il chip set Intel 940GML, che non supporta i due core con il dsdt modificato avrei modo di poter montare una cpu t7200 / T2400 e usarla a pieno regime con due core. Grazie

bastiand said:
Thanks for the guide and kext inserted, I have a question about cpu on that motherboard was mounted? I am on my mount the motherboard chip set Intel 940GML, which does not support dual cores with the dsdt modified so I can mount a cpu T7200 / T2400 and use it in full swing with two cores. Tnk

Grazie per la guida e i kext inseriti, avrei una domanda da fare sulla cpu, su che scheda madre è stata montata? io sulla mia scheda madre monto il chip set Intel 940GML, che non supporta i due core con il dsdt modificato avrei modo di poter montare una cpu t7200 / T2400 e usarla a pieno regime con due core. Grazie

Hey Bastiand!
I'm not sure of what your asking. Please try to rephrase your question so that i can understand it and I will happily help you! :)
Yes I believe that is the chip I have in my nx7300 and my dsdt is functioning well with both cores under both Snow leopard and Lion.

//Kygen :D

thanks for the answer.
The question is: what chipset your motherboard?
because the 945 chipset supports dual core CPU, but the 940 does not. Since there are three variations of this card I wanted to be sure that your card has the 940 chipset, before buying the CPU.

grazie per la risposta.
La domanda è : che chipset monta la tua scheda madre?
perchè il chipset 945 supporta le cpu dual core, invece il 940 no. siccome esistono tre varianti di questa scheda volevo essere sicuro che la tua scheda abbia il chipset 940, prima di comprare la cpu.

bastiand said:
thanks for the answer.
The question is: what chipset your motherboard?
because the 945 chipset supports dual core CPU, but the 940 does not. Since there are three variations of this card I wanted to be sure that your card has the 940 chipset, before buying the CPU.

grazie per la risposta.
La domanda è : che chipset monta la tua scheda madre?
perchè il chipset 945 supporta le cpu dual core, invece il 940 no. siccome esistono tre varianti di questa scheda volevo essere sicuro che la tua scheda abbia il chipset 940, prima di comprare la cpu.

Oh I'm sorry, you're right! I got the "Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset with 667-MHz front side bus" together with the intel t5500. Not the 940gml.

What setup do you have right now?

//Kygen

Differisco solo per il processore, celeron m 440, e il chip set 940.
Il sistema operativo è stato aggiornato dalla 10.6.2 alla 10.6.6. usando gli stessi kext tranne il fakesmc e il dsdt.
Purtroppo ieri notte si è rotta l'alimentazione della scheda madre. Ora devo vedere se si può riparare il guasto. :(

Differ only for the processor, celeron m 440, and the chip set 940.
The operating system has been upgraded from 10.6.2 to 10.6.6. using the same kext except fakesmc and the dsdt.
Unfortunately last night broke the power of the motherboard. Now I have to see if you can repair it. :(

bastiand said:
Differisco solo per il processore, celeron m 440, e il chip set 940.
Il sistema operativo è stato aggiornato dalla 10.6.2 alla 10.6.6. usando gli stessi kext tranne il fakesmc e il dsdt.
Purtroppo ieri notte si è rotta l'alimentazione della scheda madre. Ora devo vedere se si può riparare il guasto. :(

Differ only for the processor, celeron m 440, and the chip set 940.
The operating system has been upgraded from 10.6.2 to 10.6.6. using the same kext except fakesmc and the dsdt.
Unfortunately last night broke the power of the motherboard. Now I have to see if you can repair it. :(

Oh I'm sorry to hear that. :(
I hope you figure it out. My laptop's battery function is damaged so i have to have it plugged into the wall all the time. I've been looking for a new motherboard on ebay and such. They cost around $80 so its not cheap considering this is an old laptop.

Good luck!! :)

/Kygen

Si ho visto pure io il costo del ricambio :( , ma nel mio caso magari è conveniente acquistando la scheda madre con chipset 945 potrei montare una cpu dualcore. Comunque in questi giorni provo a riparare la scheda madre.

Curiosità a te funziona la sospensione?!

We've also seen the cost of replacement :( I, but in my case maybe it is convenient to buy the motherboard with 945 chipset could mount a dual core cpu. However these days I try to repair the motherboard.

Trivia for you suspension works?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back