Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

i own a 8300 with HD4000. I disabled Legacy Support. Now i don't see the boot menu or CBM Menu any more. The first picture is the boot screen of osx. I connected a 1440p monitor via DisplayPort. I will connect an old monitor with vga and hope i can access the bios.

Greetings
Dennis
Thanks for reporting that. If you are unable to see the boot mgr. screen there is always the safety net of the CMOS reset button on the motherboard. That will switch you back to legacy support enabled. Of course you must do this with the PC completely powered off. Let us know how it goes. Black screen on boot is always a problem with dual monitors so anyone with more than one monitor must keep legacy support enabled. The 2nd monitor can be hotplugged later on, at least with my system. The disabling of legacy support helps the most with either the Sierra or High Sierra install when using a UEFI Nvidia graphics card. It may not be much of an advantage for those using HD4000.

Screen Shot 24.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you very much for replying so soon.
a greeting

Hi All.

I just joined and within a couple of hours I had my HP 8300 i7 SFF up and working. Fantastic resource. Thank you!

I have a couple of questions:

I dropped an ATI HD 6450 into the SFF to see what would happen. I used MultiBeast to add ATI support and it worked OK but slightly glitchy so I removed the card and went back to the onboard HD 4000. However, the display is still like the HD 6450 was fitted and my profiler no longer recognises the onboard HD 4000 or the correct VRAM. How do I revert to the HD 4000 correctly? Do I need to somehow remove the ATI drivers?

Sorry if this is obvious to you all!

Hi,

i own a 8300 with HD4000. I disabled Legacy Support. Now i don't see the boot menu or CBM Menu any more. The first picture is the boot screen of osx. I connected a 1440p monitor via DisplayPort. I will connect an old monitor with vga and hope i can access the bios.

Greetings
Dennis

Hi,

i was able to get to the bios an switch on the legacy support, when I connected an vga-monitor, so disabling legacy support is not a good idea when using the internal HD4000.

Thanks and greetings,
Dennis

Hi,

i was able to get to the bios an switch on the legacy support, when I connected an vga-monitor, so disabling legacy support is not a good idea when using the internal HD4000.

Thanks and greetings,
Dennis

I wonder if this has to do with the resolution of your display. Maybe if you're hooked up to a display that has a higher resolution then 1080. My setup is connected to a 1080p TV with a DP to HDMI adapter. I have legacy support disabled and the HD4000 graphics is working fine here.

First I'd like to thank to @trs96 for this amazing guide! I'm a Mac enthusiast for years and never seen such a professional community work, so , congratulations!!
I was really curious about building my first Hackintosh. I had an old iMac mid 2011 that was outdated and wanted to upgrade my desktop workstation.
After studying this guide my whole vacations, o ordered everything I needed and start building.
I bought a HP 8300 Elite SFF with i5 3570 3.40GHZ, a Nvidia GTX 1050 Low Profile, a Crucial MX300 275GB SSD for High Sierra install and a TCSUNBOW X3 60GB for Windows 10.
Id like to share my experience and give some feedback.
-High Sierra is working perfectly with APFS file system in my system.
-My low profile GTX 1050 seems to be working flawlessly (240W PSU, no problem!!)
-The only thing I did differently from the guide was that I already formatted my Crucial SSD to APFS before MacOSX install. (I presume the guide says to format MacOs extended Journaling cause it will be converted anyway for those who want to try APFS, but I was curious and also really wanted to try APFS)
-My booting time is very fast.
-Im an audio producer and protools 11 is working perfectly, actually much better than on my old iMac.
-I use a Complete Audio 6 USB audio Interface and it is working perfectly.
-iCloud is working, It made me reset my password and I had to update my other machines password, I was a bit afraid but in the end all worked!
-iMessages is working!! I didn't had to do anything!!
-I had a bad time configuring dual boot, but after couple of hours I understood what I was doing wrong and now its working.
-My machine came with a 500GB Hard Drive, I installed 2 SSDs and still use this third SSD to share files between Mac and Windows, I formatted it as exFat GUID.
-As my BIOS was at 2.90 I didn't want to update cause they say it always involve risks (as the guide says that older than 2.83 should work I preferred to stay with 2.90 instead of updating to 2.99.
-The first time windows changed the boot order of my BIOS, I don't know if its because of its version, but anyway, then I set the order I wanted again and since then all is perfect.
- Only 3 things related to the guide is not clear for me.
1- To improve my CPU speeds I didn't know how to build my own file as my cpu is i5 3570. (do I need to?)
2- The step of ignoring fakesmc configuration and doing that later, I didn't select fakesmc but when multibeast was installing I saw that it installed fakesmc as well , so I didn't go back to do anything. Just installed my Nvidia drivers and was all ok after reboot.
3- At the bottom where the guide says about windows installation, this method of excluding all windows partitions and then format gpt didn't work for me. I followed another guid here at tonymacx86 where I first partitioned the windows drive with Mac disk utility (Journaled) and then at windows installation I only excluded the other partitions but not the EFI on the windows drive. I installed windows on the non allocated space but the EFI partition was just up there. (Maybe the first method didn't work cause I missed something, Im not being critic, just sharing my experience.)

Id like to share the links where I bought the hardware, I don't know if its allowed by forum rules. It would be interesting for people in Europe, cause I mostly bought from Amazon UK, Amazon ES and Ebay Belgium.
I spent around 650 Euros including monitor, everything, and now I have an amazing machine, THANK YOU!!!!

First I'd like to thank to @trs96
1- To improve my CPU speeds I didn't know how to build my own file as my cpu is i5 3570. (do I need to?)
2- The step of ignoring fakesmc configuration and doing that later, I didn't select fakesmc but when multibeast was installing I saw that it installed fakesmc as well , so I didn't go back to do anything. Just installed my Nvidia drivers and was all ok after reboot.
3- At the bottom where the guide says about windows installation, this method of excluding all windows partitions and then format gpt didn't work for me. I followed another guid here at tonymacx86 where I first partitioned the windows drive with Mac disk utility (Journaled) and then at windows installation I only excluded the other partitions but not the EFI on the windows drive. I installed windows on the non allocated space but the EFI partition was just up there. (Maybe the first method didn't work cause I missed something, Im not being critic, just sharing my experience.)

1) Some people have reported that they had power management from the get go. I would say it's not crucial to generate a SSDT. I did and if you want to just follow this guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/quick-guide-to-generate-a-ssdt-for-cpu-power-management.177456/

2) As far as FakeSMC goes I can't help you there. I didn't use multibeast and followed a vanilla install guide. It uses it in that installation. If it's working I wouldn't worry about it.

3) I can't help you there ether since I only single boot high Sierra.

@romy4444 Happy to hear the guide was helpful and your new CustoMac has been a success.

Yes, I would definitely create a SSDT for your 3570 CPU as it will help you reach the turbo states that you would not otherwise get. Follow the guide that ElGordito linked to. It's really very easy to copy and paste the lines of text from Tony's guide into the Terminal. Take your time and make sure to read each step carefully. When your done simply drag and drop the SSDT into:
/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/

Screen Shot.jpg

If you're looking for a professionally refurbished 8300 SFF with the i7-3770 there is a Newegg seller with just under 70 of them selling at a good price. Sells for $265 and has 8GB of ram and a 500GB HDD. These are in generally better condition than ones you'll find on Ebay.com. It's ready to go OOB as it's got HD4000. You just need a DP to HDMI cable if your monitor has no DP input. Try to get these kind of specs/performance from a used $265 Mac Mini and you'll be looking for a long time ! The CPU is much faster, HDD is 7200 RPM instead of 5400 in the Mini. You can add discrete graphics for gaming later on and also go all the way up to 32 GB of ram if you need that much for Photo/Video editing. Nice deal !

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6A36RY3005&ignorebbr=1

Screen Shot 1.jpg

Last edited:
@romy4444 Happy to hear the guide was helpful and your new CustoMac has been a success.

Yes, I would definitely create a SSDT for your 3570 CPU as it will help you reach the turbo states that you would not otherwise get. Follow the guide that ElGordito linked to. It's really very easy to copy and paste the lines of text from Tony's guide into the Terminal. Take your time and make sure to read each step carefully. When your done simply drag and drop the SSDT into:
/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/

View attachment 307282

WIll changing the SMBIOS settings (mine is iMac14,2 27ADBB7B4CEE8E61) to Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A4:iMac13,2 require to go through imessage fix process again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back