Contribute
Register

GUIDE: how2 use WOL to wake hacky from outside local network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck getting it to work.

I'm still trying to get wake working over the internet.

The only way I can do it at the moment is to remote logon to my router, and send the packet from there, from my WOL option.

natdeamer said:
Good luck getting it to work.

I'm still trying to get wake working over the internet.

The only way I can do it at the moment is to remote logon to my router, and send the packet from there, from my WOL option.

Thanks. I will try if WOI works on my setup as well. It may come in handy someday.

Well, I think it is the specific 8111B chipset that is hosing it up.
I installed the Realtek official driver and noticed the Wake option now listed in the System Preferences-Energy Savings :) . I enabled it but it was no go :( .
One reason I say the chipset is the culprit is that on the Energy Savings when I enable the schedule on/off, it works perfectly meaning that the PME is working fine; it is simply that the magic packet is not being identified correctly or that the NIC is not listening to network activity.
I am going to try with an external NIC. There are a couple of cards that work out of the box according to the specs.
http://www.microcenter.com/search/searc ... ewProduct&
There is also an intel NIC that has to be patched in but I am thinking it will be more reliable in the long run. I will report back.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4057

Hopefully my WOL will work with one of these options.

I realize this is an old thread and most likely no one reads it any more but I just wanted to add my findings. First, I have a dual boot system. On one drive I have OS X ML and on another separate drive I have Windows 7. Sleep/wake works fine in both OSes. WOL has been an issue for me from the beginning of my Hackintosh build. WOL always worked fine from the Windows side. To get WOL working in OS X I tried the previously recommended steps of...

1. Install windows....
2. Go to device manager
3. Right click the network card -> Properties
4. Advanced Tab
5. Property: Network Address -> I had to put my MAC address in here manually.

WOL option is turned on in BIOS and also checked in the Energy Prefs panel in OS X.

I have found that if the last OS I was in before shutting down was Windows that the WOL worked perfectly every time. However if I shutdown form OS X WOL never works. This is really frustrating and I wish there was a solution for this problem that many people appear to have.

I recently made a dual boot with Windows7 and Hackintosh. I used to powerup my Win7 from in- or outside my network without problems with magic packets. I have the same problems that you all describe. WOL only works for Windows, and only is working when Windows was the active OS before shutting down. Somehow Mountain Lion shuts down the Ethernet Adapter completely. I tried a lot of things, different drivers, etc, etc, , also the tip in this thread of manually putting my mac-address in the empty Network-address field in Windows, but nothing helps..and i really need WOL, so i found a temporary solution: The "startup or wake" schedule in Energy Saver works good, so i scheduled my hackintosh to wake up every morning at 8.00
In my org.chameleon.boot.plist i let Windows be my default boot-partitition.
In Windows i made a scheduled task for shutting down at 8.05. (somehow i could't find a way to power up windows automatically at a specific time).
So, this little trick let Windows always be the last active OS before shutdown, so i can use WOL if i need it.
I know this is not an elegant way of solving this problem, but i don't know how to do it otherwise.

PS, to use WOL from outside your network, i let my router forward to an IP-adress i don't use (for example: 192.168.1.27) with udp 9.
In windows i right click my network card in Device manager and activate Wake on magic Packets, and under power management you have to check all 3 boxes. I also found this tutorial (http://www.cnetsys.com/how-to-enable-wake-on-lan-wol-windows-7), but i didn't use all of it..(did't need to enable simpleTCPIP or change the windows firewall settings)
I installed a little program on my android phone ("Wake on LAN") and let it send magic packets to the ip-address of my router (or my dyndns-name. I also have to put in the MAC-address of the computer i want to wake/startup.

I hope this is useful for some of you.
Grtz
Bart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back