CPU
Ryzen 5 2600
Graphics
RX 590
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello, I wanted to create this guide (with help of course) to help and provide advice to users how to keep their CustoMac/Hackintosh running smoothly and without errors or Kernel Panics. If you feel like there is anything else to add, Please tell me and I will add to the list! Thank you, -Km.

Just Click on the title of the Application to be taken to their website (if available)

1) BACKUP- Losing all your data really sucks, and if you didn't back up your data, no one is to blame but yourself. There are several options available for your Hackintosh in the backup department such as:

Time Machine- Apple's built in Backup Utility (Free). Has some drawbacks such as large disk usage etc, but this isn't the thread for that.​

iBackup (Free) - A bit old, but still chugs along (10.8 is supported)
iBackup is a simple to use backup/restore utility.
it backups and restores user data and system and applications settings, e.g. System Preferences, Mail, iPhoto, iTunes, but also 3rd party applications settings, more than 250 plugins for backup application settings are available, which allow you to restore the settings and data of one application or to restore an earlier point in time.

SuperDuper! (Free Trial-$27.95 Full) - One of the more famous Backup utilities-
SuperDuper is the most advanced, yet easy to use disk copying program available for OS X. It can, of course, make a full backup, or "clone" — in moments, you can completely duplicate your boot drive to another drive, partition, or image file. In even less time, you can update an existing clone with the latest data: use Smart Update and, minutes later, your backup is completely up to date!

Carbon Copy Cloner ($39.95 Full) - Another popular Backup Utility. -
With Carbon Copy Cloner, your data and the operating system's data are all preserved on a bootable volume, ready for production at a moment's notice. When disaster strikes, simply boot from your backup and get back to using your Mac. At your convenience, replace the failed hard drive and then let CCC restore the OS, your data and your settings directly from the backup in one easy step.

2) Clean up Old Files - Your Hackintosh Running sluggishly? Seem Slower than it should? Then you may want to clean out your files. There are also many options available for this such as:

CCleaner for Mac (Free) - A very well known windows cleaning tool now on Mac! - Cleans out logs, App temp files, and other miscellaneous things slowing down your Mac as well as repairing permissions and wiping Disks. Offers Secure 35 time overwrites.​

Onyx (Free) - Offers a bit more than CCleaner like:
S.M.A.R.T status check
The first one is hard drive analysis and restoration, but the following ones allow you to repair the permissions of your system (a common problem with Macs), clear your browser settings, cache, passwords, etc., delete application, user and system caches, and more.

CleanMyMac ($15 for half a year, $30 for lifetime) - By far the most advanced Mac cleaning app Full feature list HERE

3) Repair Permissions - after a new app install or kext upgrade it's really tempting just to reboot and test if it worked, but to avoid an unnecessary Kernel Panic, it's smart to repair your Disk's permissions. I do mine at least once a week unless I install something. This can be done many ways:

CCleaner (See above-Free) - In the tools page you can select which drive and verify and repair permissions.​

Kext Utility- (FREE) A dual purpose Application, can install kexts then repair permissions, or when run by itself will just repair permissions.​

Older Versions of MultiBeast (Pre-5.0) (FREE) - this option was removed from MultiBeast, but I hope it comes back as it was really simple just to do after any install.​

Disk Utility (Free) - Built in Disk Manager- Just open it up and you can scan verify and repair not only permissions, but the whole disk as well.​

3) DON'T UPGRADE BLINDLY
- I Know, I know. When A new Version of OSX is available you want to upgrade as soon as possible, but DON'T. Do your research and verify that all of your hardware will be supported. TonyMac usually posts an article whenever a new update is released detailing what has changed and who should not upgrade Etc. The Most common things overwritten by an update are Audio and WIFI drivers.

4) ASK FOR HELP if you are unsure - If you ever need help or have a question, ask before you do anything to your system. It's a lot easier to help someone with a working system, than trying to help repair a bricked one.

5) AntiVirus- Not "Necissary" but provides an extra level of security to the nervous/cautious.

MacDefender - Apple's Built in Security Feature which includes a firewall. I always have mine on, just incase.​

ClamXav -
ClamXav is a free virus scanner for Mac OS X. It uses the very popular ClamAV open source antivirus engine as a back end and has the ability to detect both Windows and Mac threats.
avast! for mac - (Free) - The Latest and Greatest Features of avast! now for mac. More details on product page.​

Norton Antivirus for Mac ($50 for one year) -
Powerful protection against viruses and spyware that won’t slow down your Mac. Includes both Norton™ AntiVirus 12 for Mac® and Norton™ AntiVirus 11 for Mac®
Many others exist, but these are the most well known.

Great job guy! About to check cleanmymac and see if any better than my beloved onyx. Thanks for the great job!

No, problem. Just wanted to help others.

Hi, thanks for posting this guide! I just have a quick question...

I usually reinstall OS X about once a year, for whatever reason, and I was wondering if this is difficult and cumbersome on a Hackintosh? I'm planning on building a PC this spring and I'd really love to build a Hackintosh, but if it's a chore, I might just be better off with Windows. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help!

i use kext wizard to repair permissions, is it good enough?

Sometimes the only reason why I want to upgrade the OS is because of the applications I have. So what would you recommended then? These application updates are bugs issues or just security. I think its good logical reason to upgrade. So what are you suggestions to those situation? I'm curious. Thanks ahead

I never really worry about my Hack braking anyway. Well in OS X anyway its been working since 2013 and done direct upgrades with clover with no issues. I have a Time Machine back up on 2 Drives only because a drive can break or hardware could fail but i don't worry about OS X braking or not being able to boot ill just fix it. But never had that problem anyway.

Back in Chimera/Chameleon days you had to do a lot more to update but now with Clover you can just update from the app and put kexts in EFI/Clover/kexts/10.11 or other folder and be done with its so much easier with Clover tbh. I can't remember when i had to reinstall i think it was about 2 years ago on my Z77-DS3H.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back