Contribute
Register

[Guide] HackrNVMeFamily co-existence with IONVMeFamily using class-code spoof

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noob question. In a new installation (without windows in place), how do I manage to use the NVMe (Intel 600p).

Thanks!

As per post #1.

Windows installation is about a 15 minute process on fast hardware.
Determine ACPI path, build SSDT, make --spoof kext, configure _DSM->XDSM patch/Clover/etc.
Install.

Notes on Intel NVMe though...
- Intel NVMe drives can be changed to native 4k block size (then you can use native IONVMeFamily.kext)
- Intel NVMe drives suffer from performance issues when not driven by Intel RST driver (therefore a poor choice for hackintosh)

As per post #1.

Windows installation is about a 15 minute process on fast hardware.
Determine ACPI path, build SSDT, make --spoof kext, configure _DSM->XDSM patch/Clover/etc.
Install.

Notes on Intel NVMe though...
- Intel NVMe drives can be changed to native 4k block size (then you can use native IONVMeFamily.kext)
- Intel NVMe drives suffer from performance issues when not driven by Intel RST driver (therefore a poor choice for hackintosh)

So, if I understood correctly (English is not my mother language):
- Intel NVMe are not recommended due to performance issues -> As I got it with a 70% discount, I must try to get it work. If I fail, I can get a refund.
- If I format it with 4K block size, I can use it OOB.
- If not, I should install Windows and then, follow your excellent guide.

Thanks a lot!

So, if I understood correctly (English is not my mother language):
- Intel NVMe are not recommended due to performance issues -> As I got it with a 70% discount, I must try to get it work. If I fail, I can get a refund.
- If I format it with 4K block size, I can use it OOB.
- If not, I should install Windows and then, follow your excellent guide.

Thanks a lot!

You got it.
See related link for smartctl use on 4k low level formatting:
https://github.com/RehabMan/patch-nvme

I'm a long-time hacker, but newbie to Hackintosh (finally got tired of waiting for Apple.) With 270 and Kaby having been out for awhile, and hints that Apple is going to natively support it soon, I couldn't bring myself to buy a 170. But wow, talk about a steep learning curve.

I'm using a Gigbyte-z270-ud5 with a nvme samsung pro 960.

I've read everything I can get my hands on, and I've managed to create a bootable USB that sees the SSD. I've completed the install, and run multi-beast, etc. The problem is once I boot the SSD it craps out with the circle with the line through it. Having read some more, I understand I need to patch the on-SSD OS just like I patched the OS on the install USB. So I copied the SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml, the config.plist, and all the kexts from the install (USB) EFI to the appropriate locations on the SSD EFI. No dice.

I'm guessing it's the nvme modifications that's causing the problems, but the guide on post 1 of this thread doesn't provide any instructions on post-install steps. I'm sad to say I think I'm stuck on how to troubleshoot this. There is a least one other person who got this motherboard up and running so I know it's possible. I probably should have started with something simpler :)

If anyone has links to instructions on post-install steps with a nvme I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

I'm a long-time hacker, but newbie to Hackintosh (finally got tired of waiting for Apple.) With 270 and Kaby having been out for awhile, and hints that Apple is going to natively support it soon, I couldn't bring myself to buy a 170. But wow, talk about a steep learning curve.

I'm using a Gigbyte-z270-ud5 with a nvme samsung pro 960.

I've read everything I can get my hands on, and I've managed to create a bootable USB that sees the SSD. I've completed the install, and run multi-beast, etc. The problem is once I boot the SSD it craps out with the circle with the line through it. Having read some more, I understand I need to patch the on-SSD OS just like I patched the OS on the install USB. So I copied the SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml, the config.plist, and all the kexts from the install (USB) EFI to the appropriate locations on the SSD EFI. No dice.

I'm guessing it's the nvme modifications that's causing the problems, but the guide on post 1 of this thread doesn't provide any instructions on post-install steps. I'm sad to say I think I'm stuck on how to troubleshoot this. There is a least one other person who got this motherboard up and running so I know it's possible. I probably should have started with something simpler :)

If anyone has links to instructions on post-install steps with a nvme I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

I'm guessing that you installed FakeSMC.kext to the system volume (after you installed).
Keep in mind that with FakeSMC.kext installed to the system volume and config.plist/SystemParameters/InjectKexts="Detect", anything you put in EFI/Clover/kexts is ignored by Clover.

So... once you install FakeSMC.kext to the system volume, you must also install HackrNVMeFamily as well...

Also, don't forget about _DSM->XDSM.

I'm guessing that you installed FakeSMC.kext to the system volume (after you installed).
Keep in mind that with FakeSMC.kext installed to the system volume and config.plist/SystemParameters/InjectKexts="Detect", anything you put in EFI/Clover/kexts is ignored by Clover.

So... once you install FakeSMC.kext to the system volume, you must also install HackrNVMeFamily as well...

Also, don't forget about _DSM->XDSM.

I did copy HackrNVMeFamily, but I didn't do anything with _DSM->XDM because the machine booted and installed without it, so I assumed I didn't have any conflicts.

What do you mean by "copy HackrNVMeFamily"?

I copied the following to the boot volume EFI which is NVME:

SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml -> EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched
HackrNVMeFamily*.kext -> EFI/Clover/kexts/Other/
EFI/Clover/kexts/Other/* from Install disk -> EFI/Clover/kexts/Other/

It sounds as if I shouldn't have moved all of the kexts in the "Other" directory from the install media?

I copied the following to the boot volume EFI which is NVME:

SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml -> EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched
HackrNVMeFamily*.kext -> EFI/Clover/kexts/Other/
EFI/Clover/kexts/Other/* from Install disk -> EFI/Clover/kexts/Other/

It sounds as if I shouldn't have moved all of the kexts in the "Other" directory from the install media?

Did you install FakeSMC.kext to the system volume?

If so, did you read post #461? Carefully?

Did you install FakeSMC.kext to the system volume?

If so, did you read post #461? Carefully?

Yes, FakeSMC.kext is present in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other, and re-read #461...

So... once you install FakeSMC.kext to the system volume, you must also install HackrNVMeFamily as well

HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_4.kext is located in EFI/Clocver/kexts/Other, but based on your earlier statement, you're saying it's being ignored?

I just booted off the USB media in recovery mode, and mounted the EFI on the NVME in terminal. So I can manipulate the boot environment, but my lack of knowledge is getting the in the way. I probably should have started with an easier system. In fact I have a SATA SSD in this machine, and I'm thinking about pivoting there until I understand all of this better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back