Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] General Framebuffer Patching Guide (HDMI Black Screen Problem)

I'm stumped. Sorry I couldn't help you.

No worries, I knew it was a long shot based on past experience with my Kaby build. I have a RX 560 out for delivery, if I can make that work well in my dual boot setup I'll keep it and call it a day.

I've already followed the OC guide and have successfully hidden the RTX 2080 Ti from the Mac side with this:

1590769397047.png

From here: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Desktop-Guide/extras/spoof.html#deviceproperties-method

EDIT: I have confirmed this solution. Problem solved.

-------------------------

I believe that I have fixed my UHD 630 sleep / wake problem that I documented here. It appears that the solution (for me) was to enable Intel ME in my BIOS settings.

Well, the RX 560 showed up, threw it in and both monitors are working perfectly:

1590780538789.png

If it helps anyone else I went with this one, primarily because it's small and doesn't require PCI-E power lines. (6 or 8 pin)

hi guys

I need help with some queer problem - my HDMI stops working when I upgrade from Catalina 10.15.4 -> 10.15.5
o_O
I have 3 displays (LVDS in laptop, HDMI output in laptop and DP monitor connected via Type-C hub)
They all work perfectly Catalina 10.15.5, but as soon as I update to 10.15.5 and connect HDMI cable I got all screens black, cpu fan begins to blow faster and thats all
I can provide anything if needed just say what and please tell me which user sensitive data (serial for example) should I cut out from my config.

I attach screenshot for the investigation got started :)

I am in 10.15.5 now so I cannot connect HDMI cable

I can easily restore from backup (clonzilla image) in if needed and show all settings/screenshots from 10.15.4 to prove that it's working there.

If I have to make some reports in special format please show me the guide, I am a newbee
Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot at May 31 14-20-23.png
    Screenshot at May 31 14-20-23.png
    52.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot at May 31 14-21-23.png
    Screenshot at May 31 14-21-23.png
    158.8 KB · Views: 78
hi guys

I need help with some queer problem - my HDMI stops working when I upgrade from Catalina 10.15.4 -> 10.15.5
o_O
I have 3 displays (LVDS in laptop, HDMI output in laptop and DP monitor connected via Type-C hub)
They all work perfectly Catalina 10.15.5, but as soon as I update to 10.15.5 and connect HDMI cable I got all screens black, cpu fan begins to blow faster and thats all
I can provide anything if needed just say what and please tell me which user sensitive data (serial for example) should I cut out from my config.

I attach screenshot for the investigation got started :)

I am in 10.15.5 now so I cannot connect HDMI cable

I can easily restore from backup (clonzilla image) in if needed and show all settings/screenshots from 10.15.4 to prove that it's working there.

If I have to make some reports in special format please show me the guide, I am a newbee
Thanks!

Have you tried without defining AAPL,GfxYTile? Also, how did you end up choosing device-id A53E0000 (00003EA5)?

Also, I'm just learning this stuff, so forgive my remedial questions:
Why are you defining framebuffer-stolenmem, framebuffer-unifiedmem and framebuffer-fbmem?

Have you tried without defining AAPL,GfxYTile? Also, how did you end up choosing device-id A53E0000 (00003EA5)?

Also, I'm just learning this stuff, so forgive my remedial questions:
Why are you defining framebuffer-stolenmem, framebuffer-unifiedmem and framebuffer-fbmem?
this patch was not made by me, a friend of mine did it
unfortunately he's out of reach now

I only added con2 part (it missed from his original patch) so that my type-c hub connection would work
While adding con2 I've found the official documentation and it states that in case of Whiskey Lake CPU one must use A53E0000 as device-id
I suppose a friend of mine was using this very document when he was generating this patch

(search for A53E0000) and then open the "Spoiler: CFL connectors" just above it and search for 3EA50009 and you'll see that framebuffer details
perhaps he calculated these "framebuffer-stolenmem, framebuffer-unifiedmem and framebuffer-fbmem" from that table
but I don't know how

seems we need some help from someone experienced :)

this patch was not made by me, a friend of mine did it
unfortunately he's out of reach now

I only added con2 part (it missed from his original patch) so that my type-c hub connection would work
While adding con2 I've found the official documentation and it states that in case of Whiskey Lake CPU one must use A53E0000 as device-id
I suppose a friend of mine was using this very document when he was generating this patch

(search for A53E0000) and then open the "Spoiler: CFL connectors" just above it and search for 3EA50009 and you'll see that framebuffer details
perhaps he calculated these "framebuffer-stolenmem, framebuffer-unifiedmem and framebuffer-fbmem" from that table
but I don't know how

seems we need some help from someone experienced :)

I did not need to define AAPL,GfxYTile, framebuffer-stolenmem, framebuffer-unifiedmem and framebuffer-fbmem for my UHD 630 here. Try removing those properties from your config.plist to see if that helps.

Note that I tried defining AAPL,GfxYTile when I was experimenting with Framebuffer patching and found that Clover Configurator would not load. My system works better without it.

I did not need to define AAPL,GfxYTile, framebuffer-stolenmem, framebuffer-unifiedmem and framebuffer-fbmem for my UHD 630 here. Try removing those properties from your config.plist to see if that helps.

Note that I tried defining AAPL,GfxYTile when I was experimenting with Framebuffer patching and found that Clover Configurator would not load. My system works better without it.
ok I've restored from backup to 10.15.4 and commented out
Code:
AAPL,GfxYTile
framebuffer-stolenmem
framebuffer-unifiedmem
framebuffer-fbmem
everything runs smoothly - all three displays

then I updated to 10.15.5 and got the same problem - type-c works but as soon as I connect HDMI I got black screen, cpu fan blowing at highest speed and a crash report on reboot

should I give more input? you've mentioned @black.dragon74 's problem reporting tool

Just as trial and error:
I have tried changing busid of hanging con1 to 02 and 03 and got freezes but no dead hanging system
It seems that it is really sits on busid 01
Then I've changed pipe to 0x12000000 with busid 01 and got dead hang again

Last edited:
Back