Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] General Framebuffer Patching Guide (HDMI Black Screen Problem)

"If SMBIOS = Macmini8,1, only one HDMI port can be used" - who this said it?
Video Support here

I can't think of any other idea.
I hope it works well with DP monitor.

Hi everyone!

I'm currently struggling with iGPU dual displays on my Asus Z170i Pro Gaming motherboard. The motherboard has two outputs, HDMI and DisplayPort.

I have my main display on HDMI (Sony TV) and want to connect another display through the DisplayPort (Dell monitor).

I can boot up my system with only the HDMI connected, and upon entering macOS I can connect my DisplayPort. Everything works fine and dandy that way.

Since my build is used as a media server connected to my TV, the HDMI port will always be connected.

My problem is that I can't boot with both HDMI and DP connected at the same time. Only the DP port is working. The TV on the HDMI port is recognised but is only black screen.

Has anyone succeeded with correct framebuffer patches on a Asus Z170i or Z170?

For more details on my build see my GitHub repository:

Thanks in advance, cheers!

Last edited:
@jimpalompa Post the following:
  1. A copy of your IOReg
  2. A screenshot showing the Hackintool > Patch > Connectors tab, so we can see the connector types in use for your HDMI and DP connectors.
DeviceProperties - IGPU:
  • Your config.plist, if the same as the one linked to the Github page above, lacks any 'connector type' entries in the IGPU DeviceProperties section.
  • I don't think the 'force-online' entry is helping.
  • You should have the 'framebuffer-patch-enable' entry under the AAPL,ig-platform-id entry, as this is often required to get WhateverGreen patches working.
  • As you have set the DMVT to 64MB in the bios, you don't need the 'framebuffer-stolenmem' entry.
  • You might benefit from using 'framebuffer-unifiedmem', as this would increase the amount of VRAM available to the IGPU from 1536MB to 2048MB.
Your motherboard may have allowances for 3 x display connectors, 1 x HDMI, 1 x DP and 1 x Dummy connector. So you may need to add the following entries to the IGPU DeviceProperties, to get the DP and HDMI connectors working at the same time.

Screenshot 2024-03-19 at 21.46.23.png IGPU properties

You may need to swap the DP and HDMI connector types, if they don't match the setup shown above. So a bit of trial and error testing may be required on your part, to get the connector types in the correct order.

@Edhawk thanks for the quick response!

My current config file is not the one on my github. I've attached my current setup files to this post.

Attachments

• jimpalompa-asus-z170i-pro-gaming.zip
    5.9 MB · Views: 7
Thanks for wasting my time!

Hello everyone.

My hardware (m/b DFI-SD106-Q170, CPU - i3-7300, iGPU - HD 630). Bootloader OC 0.9.9. macOS 13.6.5

I ran into a problem: after loading the desktop, after 5 seconds there is a black screen. If you reconnect the monitor cable, the image appears again.
The assumption is that the system switches to another connector.

There is a DP output on the motherboard. There is still an LVDS on the board, but I disabled it in the BIOS.

In ioreg connector-type is 00080000

ioreg.png

Here is the information from hackintool

hcktool.png

Based on the data I received, I entered the parameters in config.plist

config.png

With such parameters, loading to the desktop does not occur, and reconnecting the monitor cable does not give an image.

Can someone tell me what else you can try?

Hello everyone.

My hardware (m/b DFI-SD106-Q170, CPU - i3-7300, iGPU - HD 630). Bootloader OC 0.9.9. macOS 13.6.5

I ran into a problem: after loading the desktop, after 5 seconds there is a black screen. If you reconnect the monitor cable, the image appears again.
The assumption is that the system switches to another connector.

There is a DP output on the motherboard. There is still an LVDS on the board, but I disabled it in the BIOS.

In ioreg connector-type is 00080000

View attachment 581015

Here is the information from hackintool

View attachment 581016

Based on the data I received, I entered the parameters in config.plist

View attachment 581017

With such parameters, loading to the desktop does not occur, and reconnecting the monitor cable does not give an image.

Can someone tell me what else you can try?
In my case, force-online worked. The framebuffer is useless in this situation.

Back