Contribute
Register

Guide: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 with ATI 6870 - Clean ML/Lion Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Guide: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 with ATI 6870 - Clean Lion Install

Gordo74 said:
Polynomial said:
After the 10.7.2 update I had no sound either, and after running Multibeast a couple of times, I got sound but my icon in the top bar was grayed out. I checked my sound settings in system preferences and I now have "Aggregate audio device". I only get sound when that is selected but I cannot adjust my volume at all. If I select the "Line Output" from the sound settings, I can adjust the volume slider but I get no sound.......? Any ideas?

It sounds like you accidentally installed VoodooHDA. You need to uninstall that.

To people having sound problems after the update, select System Utilities and the sound options I have selected under "Audio" in my original screenshot.

If it doesnt work the first time, run it again. It took me a couple times as well.

Thanks for your reply. I haven't ever installed any of the voodoo files. Everything had worked perfectly from my initial fresh install of 10.7 then my upgrade to 10.7.1 went fine and dandy. Sound worked perfectly until after I rebooted from my 10.7.2 update. I ran Multibeast and installed the "system Utilities" and the RealTek "ALC8xxHDA" and the "AppleHDA Rollback" without any luck getting my sound working correctly again. After your reply, I've tried running the same things on Multibeast another 10 or so times without any progress.
Here's what's going on.... and I didn't even notice the issue at first because I DO actually get sound. I do have the sound icon in the top bar, and it has the little "sound wave lines" next to it showing it's working.... but I cannot turn the volume up or down via the icon (which it greyed out even though it plays sound), or in the system preferences pane either since it's showing aggregate audio device. When in the System Preferences pane though, I can choose not to use the Aggregate Audio Device, and to select a Line Output option. Now when I select one of the Line out options, it changes the top bar sound icon to NOT being greyed out as before, and I can then adjust my volume with the icon, in System Preferences, and with my apple keyboard again .... HOWEVER NO sound will play like this.....
I've tried looking for anything audio related in my Extensions folder that I could remove and then just re-run Multibeast with the specified audio options and System utilities to correct permissions, but no go. All I did was completely break ALL audio playback ability by removing the IO family audio and appleHDA and anything else that said HDA or audio in it. I tried replacing them one at a time and running multibeast again and again without luck.
So right now I've just put back the IOaudiofamily next to get sound that I cannot adjust due to the Aggregate Audio Device option. The other odd part is that after the 10.7.2 update is that in the "About this Mac", I've got even more audio entries than as before I did the update. Now it shows 3 Line outputs?
photo.JPG

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 246

I'm planning to buy this motherboard
Can I set up RAID0 disks easily? (the boot hdd is not on a raid array)
thanks

Try this link here to help with audio issues. Worked for me!!!

Remember to remove ALL old sound kexts works flawless now. I had sound issues just like you.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26486

Polynomial said:
Gordo74 said:
Polynomial said:
After the 10.7.2 update I had no sound either, and after running Multibeast a couple of times, I got sound but my icon in the top bar was grayed out. I checked my sound settings in system preferences and I now have "Aggregate audio device". I only get sound when that is selected but I cannot adjust my volume at all. If I select the "Line Output" from the sound settings, I can adjust the volume slider but I get no sound.......? Any ideas?

It sounds like you accidentally installed VoodooHDA. You need to uninstall that.

To people having sound problems after the update, select System Utilities and the sound options I have selected under "Audio" in my original screenshot.

If it doesnt work the first time, run it again. It took me a couple times as well.

Thanks for your reply. I haven't ever installed any of the voodoo files. Everything had worked perfectly from my initial fresh install of 10.7 then my upgrade to 10.7.1 went fine and dandy. Sound worked perfectly until after I rebooted from my 10.7.2 update. I ran Multibeast and installed the "system Utilities" and the RealTek "ALC8xxHDA" and the "AppleHDA Rollback" without any luck getting my sound working correctly again. After your reply, I've tried running the same things on Multibeast another 10 or so times without any progress.
Here's what's going on.... and I didn't even notice the issue at first because I DO actually get sound. I do have the sound icon in the top bar, and it has the little "sound wave lines" next to it showing it's working.... but I cannot turn the volume up or down via the icon (which it greyed out even though it plays sound), or in the system preferences pane either since it's showing aggregate audio device. When in the System Preferences pane though, I can choose not to use the Aggregate Audio Device, and to select a Line Output option. Now when I select one of the Line out options, it changes the top bar sound icon to NOT being greyed out as before, and I can then adjust my volume with the icon, in System Preferences, and with my apple keyboard again .... HOWEVER NO sound will play like this.....
I've tried looking for anything audio related in my Extensions folder that I could remove and then just re-run Multibeast with the specified audio options and System utilities to correct permissions, but no go. All I did was completely break ALL audio playback ability by removing the IO family audio and appleHDA and anything else that said HDA or audio in it. I tried replacing them one at a time and running multibeast again and again without luck.
So right now I've just put back the IOaudiofamily next to get sound that I cannot adjust due to the Aggregate Audio Device option. The other odd part is that after the 10.7.2 update is that in the "About this Mac", I've got even more audio entries than as before I did the update. Now it shows 3 Line outputs?
photo.JPG

After the 10.7.2 combo update, after rebooting it goes to a gray screen with the apple logo and never progresses any further. I've already tried reinstalling lion from scratch again, still won't reboot after the update. What can I do?

jester969 said:

Remember to remove ALL old sound kexts works flawless now. I had sound issues just like you.

photo.JPG
[/quote]

Thanks a bunch Jester969! I got a huge step further after following your link for a method. I've got sound, AND I can adjust it in the top bar as well as with my Apple keyboard buttons again! The only odd thing is that I've got to choose "Internal speakers" in the System Sound Settings rather than being able to choose "Line output" as I always was able before all of this. Additionally the Aggregate Audio Device is still listed which was never the cases before all of this as well. At least I can have a fully functioning audio on my system again, just wish I could get all of these kexts completely back to proper setup as it was able to be as previously,.... I'll try the method a couple more times to see if I can straighten it out unless anyone else has any tips to share that can do it.......

IMG_0005.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 199

Thanks a bunch Jester969! I got a huge step further after following your link for a method. I've got sound, AND I can adjust it in the top bar as well as with my Apple keyboard buttons again! The only odd thing is that I've got to choose "Internal speakers" in the System Sound Settings rather than being able to choose "Line output" as I always was able before all of this. Additionally the Aggregate Audio Device is still listed which was never the cases before all of this as well. At least I can have a fully functioning audio on my system again, just wish I could get all of these kexts completely back to proper setup as it was able to be as previously,.... I'll try the method a couple more times to see if I can straighten it out unless anyone else has any tips to share that can do it.......

I went ahead using Gordo's method for audio but I found my sound wasn't working so I looked up further within the forums to see if anyone else found a different method. To be honest I think people should list mobo revision in thier builds because they are really different slightly even BIOS. I'm glad I could be of service. Just try searching or try new sound kexts inside the forum or Google. I searched both to get my build working specifically for my hardware issues. Currently writing up my success build. :ugeek:

Good luck!!! :thumbup:

xIlluzionx said:
After the 10.7.2 combo update, after rebooting it goes to a gray screen with the apple logo and never progresses any further. I've already tried reinstalling lion from scratch again, still won't reboot after the update. What can I do?

Did you re-install Audio?

Just wanted to share my success story (10.7.2!) for people that might be thinking of using this method.

My (important) hardware is as follows:
Core i7 860
Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD4 (Rev. 1, Bios F9)
4gb OCZ DDR3 1600
Crucial M4 128gb SSD
BFG 9800GT
Some bluetooth dongle I don't remember the name of

Had a system that was ultra stable under Snow Leopard for around 16 months (from 10.6.2 to 10.6.8). Bought myself an SSD and figured it was time to give Lion a go :).

Installed exactly like the instructions said up until Combo Update/MultiBeast -- then I used 10.7.2 instead of 10.7.1 and only used ALC8xxHDA, AppleHDA Rollback, IOsomethingsomethingInjector, 64-bit Apple Boot Screen, and the UserDSDT method. Multibeast said the install process failed, but I rebooted anyways and things were peachy. Upon doing this, I still was without audio and network (I would have installed the network drivers the first time, but I had network before doing the combo update and Multibeast, so I figured I'd give it a try). Ran Multibeast again to do the audio and the Lnx2Mac ethernet and boom, we have liftoff.

I'll try and remember to check the thread to answer any questions, but I don't think I will be very helpful :p

I may have jumped the gun a little bit on having a perfect system already. Realized I forgot to install the the kexts for the non-Intel SATA and eSATA ports. The front eSATA port (which is run off the Intel controller) worked fine with my drive for a couple of minutes then any I/O on the drive just stopped. I then tried it on the rear eSATA port (which runs off the non-Intel controller) and couldn't get it the drive to show up. Drive also won't show up on the front port anymore. The drive is new and hasn't been used before so I think its an issue with the drive being bunk out of the box :)(, but it happens). I'm too lazy/tired to do any more troubleshooting with it tonight, but I'm pretty sure it's not an issue with my Lion install. I will update when I have more info.

Polynomial said:
jester969 said:

photo.JPG

IMG_0005.jpg[/quote]

It's merely cosmetic. Internal Speakers = Back audio port, Line Out = Front Audio port

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back