Contribute
Register

Guide - Fusion Drive using tonymacx86 Tools & Chimera

Hi, and thanks for the reply.
I did use kernelcache, without it the system doesnt find the mach kernel.
Eventually (late last nite) I gave up for now and reverted back to a Normal SSD + HD system.

Ill hold of for a while until there might be an easier way of doing this (basically, embracing my noobness :( ).

Thanks
Suras

After a month of testing my new Fusion Drive (installed by following this great guide), I decided to roll back to "normal config" SSD + HDD separately.
The main reason is that I was not satisfied with my FD.
I could see the correct behavior, the 4GB cache that were filled on SSD, then transferred on the HDD, the moving of files to SSD, etc.
But after few weeks, I still had some Apps that were partially on the HDD.
That is annoying, when you start an App and you here the HDD spinning and you wait more than usual.

I concluded that FD is great, for the "non expert people who don't look at the performance behind".
Don't get me wrong, I am no expert !!! but I like to check the performance, to understand the thing, etc...
I learnt a bit with i/o commands in terminal, etc. And I realized it was not so perfect.

It's just in line with Apple philosophy : simple tool for anybody who just need a working Mac.

I went back to manually managing my SSD and HDD.

A note for those who would think to remove the FD: it's easy, I was following info from MacWorld
But remember that your latest Time Machine back up, is not going to fit easily on the SSD only. :p
I was able to reinstall all my Apps, configuration, etc from my TM. But then, for the remaining large files, I had to do it manually, back to the separate HDD.
No need to stress that it was a good waste of time. :thumbdown:

Good luck with your test and installation.
FD is still a great tool!
And this guide made it really easy to install.

Still having problems with Fusion Drive on this. Basically I can create the Logical Volume Group but not the volume (which is so crazy!). It keeps coming up in Console as error 0x04 and 'error -69780 Unable to create a coreStorage volume' after the LVG was created that I have a metadata header that cannot be written on one of the drives. I have tried to use the affected drives on another Mac system to try to format it as a Fusion Drive and it comes up with the same problem, so it's not just my Z77X which is the issue here. What can I do to correct this? (does anybody know?) I am tearing
my hair out on this!!!!

Hello,
this is my first post here. After some thinking, I finally made hardware choices for my first hackintosh which I built without major problems last week. As I had picked one SSD + one HD, I wanted to try a fusion drive. But it seems that I bumped into the same issue as Middleman last fall:
I can recreate a Fusion group through merging two drives, I cannot for the life of me now create a CoreStorage volume in OSX without coming into problems such as 'Error -69780 Unable to create a CoreStorage Logical Volume'. Basically even with the right UUID it cannot create the volume.

So I decided not to try further and stay with two separate discs. Just for others to know they probably aren't suitable for a fusion drive, my drives are:
SSD Sandisk Extreme, 240 Go, SATA III
Hitachi Travelstar 5K1000, 1 To, SATA III

I'm also seeing that some geeks out there aren't that happy and are coming back from fusion to separate. As for me, I'm going to study this manual solution which seems to be also interesting in the sake of using both drives where they are best at.
http://mattgemmell.com/2011/06/21/using-os-x-with-an-ssd-plus-hdd-setup/

Finally many thanks to the Tonymacx86 Team :D

Lomig

Hi, thanks for this guide!!
I can't wait to reach the point I can use it!! :)

Can someone please help me?! I have followed this guid twice and still get the same problem: mach_kernel not found

I have copied everything over using carbon copy cloner and have followed the guide to the T. And I still have this issue.

I am using a custom DSDT.aml file to work with my Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 mobo.

Does anyone know what could fix this?

I followed this guide to the letter and it worked perfectly first time.

And if I want to reset the HDD as I do?? And make and process again as would be?

I followed this guide to the letter and it worked perfectly first time.

And if I want to reset the HDD as I do?? And make and process again as would be?

**If you want to undo the Fusion Drive Array, you will need to enter the following Terminal commands to split the drives apart**

diskutil cs list

Copy the Core Storage LV UUID number

diskutil cs delete **Paste 1st Core Storage LV UUID number here**

I followed this guide exactly but am having trouble booting up the fusion drive being stuck at "Still waiting for root device"

I have a Z68MA gigabyte UEFI bios board does that make a difference? The cloned partition boots up without any problems at all but just the fusion drive partition cannot boot up.

I am having the same problem. Tryed to patch the kext : IOAHCIFamily.kext with no result. Any idea ?

Excellent Guide!

I have followed the steps and reached so close to having an actual Fusion Drive setup. :geek:

However, when I disconnect the drive with the original OS X installed, I am unable to load into Chimera.

I can boot into the FD setup fine only when I have the original OS X drive, which loads Chimera, then I can choose the 1 of 2 myfusiondrvs to shown boot up into the system.

Does anyone know how I can get to the final step so that I can detach the original hard drive? IMG_0202.jpg

I did this method a several time and everytime I done with success. Yesterday I format my machine and install everthing again. Make a new fusion drive as I do with 2 TB + 120 SSD. But this time I cant boot. Evertime I getting just one line error "boot0 = error". But I already add all three boot files on the Boot OSX Drive. I tried to fix with boot0 fix guide. But nothing changes? What are you suggest to me what can I try?

Ps: I have 4 HD on the machine. I will try put them out and try with just 2 drives now. Please if you suggest new idea please share with me?

Back