Contribute
Register

Guide - Fusion Drive using tonymacx86 Tools & Chimera

Can you take a screen shot of your org.chameleon.Boot.plist for me so I can see where you placed that string? Also whenever you edit/modiry that plist you should Repair Permissions on the disk with DiskUtility and Rebuild Cache with Champlist before rebooting.

FYI...i have recently upgraded & rebuild my systems with SSD's & HDD's to dualboot OS X & Windows. I am now running OS X on a Custom "DIY" Fusion Drive. I will be creating a new guide for this "rebuild"

Oh. My apologies. I'm new to this. I just build it today :D I shall try Repairing permissions and Rebuild Cache!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-16 at 11.50.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-16 at 11.50.45 PM.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 169
Oh. My apologies. I'm new to this. I just build it today :D I shall try Repairing permissions and Rebuild Cache!

i was updating my oroginal reply and noticed you had already sent the screen shot. Please read my comment below...let me know if it helps and if it makes sense.

You need to make sure that the addition to the plist is made in your original working CustoMac HD before cloning to your new Fusion drive. The reason is because you eventually copy the "Extra" folder, which contains the plist, over to both drives in the array so you can boot from either drive. If you try making changes to the plist manually or via MultiBeast after cloning...it may only change one of the files since you technically have 2 of the same files (one on the SSD & one on the HDD) which is why its not working.

Alternatively, you can repeat the steps you did to mount the disks as mentioned in the guide...once the disk is mounted, manually navigate to it and open the Extra folder, and manually edit the plist...then save and unmount. Mount the next disk, do the same steps, then unmount and reboot. Let me know what works for you.

You need to make sure that the addition to the plist is made in your original working CustoMac HD before cloning to your new Fusion drive. The reason is because you eventually copy the "Extra" folder, which contains the plist, over to both drives in the array so you can boot from either drive. If you try making changes to the plist manually or via MultiBeast after cloning...it may only change one of the files since you technically have 2 of the same files (one on the SSD & one on the HDD) which is why its not working.

Alternatively, you can repeat the steps you did to mount the disks as mentioned in the guide...once the disk is mounted, manually navigate to it and open the Extra folder, and manually edit the plist...then save and unmount. Mount the next disk, do the same steps, then unmount and reboot. Let me know what works for you.

I managed to make it work! :D

In terminal, after sudo su, I mounted (diskutil mount disk0s3/disk1s3), navigated into it and replaced the plist. It doesn't allow me to directly edit though.

And then I repaired permissions and rebuild cache, everything seems to work fine now!

Thank you!

But does this mean that we will have to go through this process each time we install new stuff from MultiBeast?

In terminal, after sudo su, I mounted (diskutil mount disk0s3/disk1s3), navigated into it and replaced the plist. It doesn't allow me to directly edit though.

But everything seems to work fine now!

Thank you!

But does this mean that we will have to go through this process each time we install new stuff from MultiBeast?

Only if it makes a change to the plist file. If you are installing an app or driver with Multibeast you should be fine. But if you are running an update from MultiBeast which will edit the plist then yes...so you should mount the disks...copy the plist to your desktop...make the change...the paste back into the extra folder, overwriting the original. The same also applies to theme changes...

Oh okay. Thanks!

I have another question though.

iCloud and iMessage doesn't seem to be working, as stated in the first post, I removed "rd=uuid boot-uuid=" from the plist. Are there any ramifications or consequences for not including that particular flag into the boot options?

Oh okay. Thanks!

I have another question though.

iCloud and iMessage doesn't seem to be working, as stated in the first post, I removed "rd=uuid boot-uuid=" from the plist. Are there any ramifications or consequences for not including that particular flag into the boot options?

i too had this same issue. As stated that entry in the plist may or may not break the functionality of iMessage, iCloud,& FaceTime. I personally do have that string in my plist. My suggestion to you, which is what I also did to resolve this, is to recreate your Fusion drive and make sure that on your original CustoMac drive you have logged into each of those applications (iMessage, iCloud, FaceTime) to confirm they are working. Once they are working and you have recreated your Fusion drive...clone it over following the steps in the guide again and when you boot into the Fusion Drive, everything will be working as expected. Dont forget to modify the plist with the GraphicsEnabler option from your previous posts before cloning and copying the files over to the new drives.

Multibeast is not able to install a new plist file to disk0s3 or disk1s3.
Because of this you have to install chimera manually.
In other words:
If you install anything via multibeast, it won't affect your plist.
and normally you install new kexts and plugins, but no new boot options.
But if you want to change boot options you have to do this terminal stuff.

And then I repaired permissions and rebuild cache, everything seems to work fine now!

Thank you!

haha did this too and worked for me, why dint i think of it, i knew it had to do with the plist in the 2 partitions

First of all, Thanks for a great guide.
Its really meant to be followed, not just raw technical info. Very helpful indeed.

Now, unfortunately I haven really made it all the way.
The creation of the drive is works fine, but booting doesn't work for me.

I can boot from bios to chimera from the drive (either one of the two drives in the fusion works),
From chimera i can select the ML boot drive and successfully get into desktop. Here I can see (and bench) the mounted fusion drive no problem.
But booting into the Fusion partition itself does not work
booting with -v it stops at utun_cti_connect: creating interface utun0
-x doesnt work as it isnt using the cache and then it cant find the mach_kernel, so im kind of stuck.

System is based on:
MB GA-Z77MX-D3H TH
Fusion made up on M4 256GB + WD green 1.5TB

Im not sure i want to use a Fusion drive, but rather embraced the challenge. Because of that, and for my own satisfaction I really would like to get the system up, even if I might revert to a dedicated SSD boot drive eventually anyhow.
In either case this has been a great exercise for me and I know a lot more on the file-system now than i did before.

Cheers
Suras

First of all, Thanks for a great guide.
Its really meant to be followed, not just raw technical info. Very helpful indeed.

Now, unfortunately I haven really made it all the way.
The creation of the drive is works fine, but booting doesn't work for me.

I can boot from bios to chimera from the drive (either one of the two drives in the fusion works),
From chimera i can select the ML boot drive and successfully get into desktop. Here I can see (and bench) the mounted fusion drive no problem.
But booting into the Fusion partition itself does not work
booting with -v it stops at utun_cti_connect: creating interface utun0
-x doesnt work as it isnt using the cache and then it cant find the mach_kernel, so im kind of stuck.

System is based on:
MB GA-Z77MX-D3H TH
Fusion made up on M4 256GB + WD green 1.5TB

Im not sure i want to use a Fusion drive, but rather embraced the challenge. Because of that, and for my own satisfaction I really would like to get the system up, even if I might revert to a dedicated SSD boot drive eventually anyhow.
In either case this has been a great exercise for me and I know a lot more on the file-system now than i did before.

Cheers
Suras

Sounds like an issue lays in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist. Can you take a screen shot of this plist and paste here... you may have to set the UseKernelCache to Yes in the plist
Code:
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Back