Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI P67A GD65
CPU
I7 2700
Graphics
GTX 680TI
El Capitan on MSI-P67A-GD65 [Succes!]

I just installed a second hand P67A-GD65, but I have some questions because of boot failure.
Previously I was running el capitan on a p55 board, very stable and no issues.

I haven't installed a fresh copy of el capitan yet, because I can't find a clear guide on the forums, and Im not sure if I need to install it with EUFI or legacy support. I was hoping to boot el capitan with some minor tweaks in the clover boot options, but with no succes. When im in the clover boot loader and boot OSX, its shows the apple logo, after 5 seconds or so I see a bunch of text and then reboots immediately. I tried to boot with -v, but it doesn't show any boot issues (i think), it just reboots after a few seconds.

If someone can write me a guide from creating the USB to post installation would be great!
I'm creating a new USB with UEFI support in Unibeast.

My system:
MSI-P67A-GD65
i7 6200
geforce GTX 550 ti
8gb ram
Samsung 850 evo SSD

Thanks!

I'm not that familiar with them, but my guess is that with a 6-series board you're better off with Legacy boot. There's one example of a 67 board (though not the same one) here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...a-h67n-usb3-i3-2105-hd-3000-os-x-10-11-a.html

If you still get the boot failure, you should try to capture the message. Take a photo if you can, or take a video and get a frame grab that shows the message, or whatever you have to do.

Thanks for the reply. Im currently building a new USB with legacy mode, and disabled USB3 in the BIOS.
In the attachments I added 3 photos. The boot args your seeing were used on the old motherboard, but I keep them like that right now to avoid confusion. I should mention that the old DSDT for the GA-p55-usb3 is still on efi partition. I tried to disable it with DSDT=null but it doesn't change anything.
As you can see on the photo there is a kernel panic. When you see this text it immediately reboots, so it was kinda hard to capture it.

Do you know any solution that might get me to the login screen?

Attachments

• IMG_2653.jpg
    IMG_2653.jpg
    530.6 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_2654.jpg
    IMG_2654.jpg
    597 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_2773.jpg
    IMG_2773.jpg
    797.6 KB · Views: 112
It may be best to start with a clean EFI partition for a new installation. It is easy to believe that DSDT, SSDT, or config.plist settings for your old board could cause problems with the new board.

The first step might be to create a USB install drive with UniBeast (I would pick Legacy mode for a 6-series) and make sure you can boot from that. If you can get to a Clover menu, you can try selecting the old El Capitan installation to start, and see how that goes. If you get in, then you can replace the EFI contents on the system drive with the EFI contents from the USB install drive and then hopefully you'll be able to boot from the system drive without the USB drive.

guide for El Capitan on MSI-P67A-GD65? [Working!]

Okay, so after a lot of testing and trying, I finally used the usb stick with the latest version of el capitan and clover legacy on it.
I disconnected all the drives, inserted the usb stick, and booted the el capitan installer from the clover boot screen. The strange thing is that it booted straight away into the installer without additional flags!
I turned off the computer and connected the ssd, and tried to boot the already installed el capitan with the usb bootloader. Again, it boots without a problem!

Is it recommended to replace all the clover files with the files from the bootable USB?

@ammulder

Thanks for the help, i'm glad I managed to boot into el capitan without installing a new copy.
The only problem im facing now is that its not working with dual monitors, and only 1 graphics cart makes it boot. When I connect 2 monitors and/or 2 graphics cards, the monitor goes into standby after the loading screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back