Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Skylake NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I've updated the config.plist and I think the guide should be good to go.

I've done a fresh install and a couple of reboots and I continue to see the Bluetooth icon in the menu bar and it's showing Bluetooth On. However, I tried turning on and resetting a Bluetooth mouse and my MBP offered to pair with it and the NUC on the same table didn't see it. So perhaps it's present but not really working. For the Broadcom Bluetooth devices I know they have to have firmware loaded every time they start up or wake up. I don't know what (if anything) might be required to get the Intel Bluetooth device to initialize -- best case it just needs to be configured once by a working driver in another OS.

Still, that might be a good question for the Network forum.

It's strange that it was working for you and then stopped. If you have a dual boot it might be worth trying it in the other OS to see if you can get it to initialize or load firmware or whatever and then see if it works in OS X after that.
SUCCESS!
Bluetooth is now working without restirctions with the built in Bluetooth.
We are a dream Team!

I did to following to get it working (In chronological order):
1. Installed Hackintosh (With your tutorial. Bluetooth cant find anything)
2. Installed Windows 10
3. Installed all Drivers, got an error in the Bluetooth installer of the latest Intel Bluetooth Driver (18.x). Downloaded the previous Version (17.x) of the Bluetooth Driver. Restarted, got an error in the device Manager for the Bluetooth Adapter:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)
STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE

4. Downloaded once againt the latest BLuetooth Driver (18.x), now the Installation worked, restarted once againt, same error in the device Manager
5. Shut of the NUC completly, because I thought if Windows could initialize the Firmware, Mac OS could do the same thing in a wrong way. Unplugged the AC Adapter, pressed the Power On Button, reinserted the AC Adapter.
6. Booted into Windows 10, now Bluetooth is working.
7. Directly restarted the NUC and booted into Mac OS X via Clover on the Installed Stick. Bluetooth is working there as well!

Just for testing purposes:
Ive shut down the PC after step 7. Powered it on via the Power On Button, booted directly into OS X without Windows 10, Bluetooth still works.

Short form: This behaviour brings me to the following conclusion:
You have to load Windows 10 once with the Bluetooth Driver installed. It loads/initializes the Firmware of the BT Adapter.
If the Bluetooth Adapter is not working or got an error on Windows 10, try to disconnect the NUC from the power and boot again into Windows, Mac OS could have tried to load the Firmware in a wrong way.
Until the NUC gets disconnected from power, the Firmware seems to be loaded and you dont have to boot into Windows.
If you disconnect the NUC from power, you have to boot first into Windows and restart the NUC into OS X to get Bluetooth working again.

Now only a proper graphic driver is missing on OS X, to get Graphics Acceleration working.
I even have some glitches/artifacts with Graphics Acceleration disabled. Anyway I can live with it.
I hope Apple will release the new Skylake Macbooks soon and youll upgrade the guide :)

Thanks for your time and all the know how you gave us for free!
Youre an awesome guy!

EDIT:// False alert, Ive made a mistake, updated Clover via Configuration Utility which led to a 'basic' theme

SUCCESS!
Bluetooth is now working without restirctions with the built in Bluetooth.
We are a dream Team!

Thank you for your effort and for keeping us posted ! :)
One more question... Were you able to get the WiFi working on Mac OSX ?

OP: In the guide, BIOS settings you say:

• On Power make sure Wake on LAN from S4/S5 is unchecked (or else when you shut down the NUC may restart instead)
There is a dropdown not a checkbox though. And on your screenshots you have it set to "Power On".

Currently installing, will report later.)

Bluetooth: good going!

WiFi: there are no drivers for Intel WiFi for OS X at this time.

BIOS: I may not have had it set up right when I took the screen shots -- that was pretty early on. I'll retake if I get a chance. In any case, people have had problems where Wake on LAN caused the machine to turn on again just after it was shut off. I'm not even sure that's a current problem, but unless you need Wake on LAN for some reason, it's safest to leave it off/disabled/whatever.

Thank you so much for posting! However, I'm having issues with even finishing the step that requires you to prepare a bootable USB drive. When I go hit erase on Disk Utility, I have name & I have format. But I don't have "Make sure Scheme is set to GUID Partition Map" I've looked all over the internet, with no help. Am I overlooking something? Does something have to be set?
Please help, I'm trying to get this done for my father. :rolleyes:
thank you!

erase.png

(Make sure you are selecting the drive to erase and not just one of the partitions listed under the drive.)

Hello, I'm a new member here and after reading about hackintosh alternatives to buying a new mac mini, I figured I'd give it a try and use this guide to install El Capitan on a new Intel NUC6i5SYH "Skylake" with a Sandisk Ultra II SSD and 16GB Kingston HyperX DD4 ram.

I noticed there are a lot of updates to this guide in the threads. Are you planning to update the guide, or do I need to scroll through all the threads to get the updated info from all the debugging that's gone on since you first posted the guide?

I'm very grateful for this guide and the hackintosh community. Looking forward to getting this thing up and running!

The first post should be up-to-date.

But you should be aware that there are still graphics issues, which make it really difficult to use some Apple apps (at least Safari, Preview, and App Store; maybe Mail and others). To me, that makes this NUC not yet suitable for a daily-use machine. (In contrast, the Skylake machine I rely on has an Nvidia card and works great.)

Hopefully Apple will get a handle on the video drivers sooner rather than later, but for the moment it's a waiting game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back