Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Broadwell NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
good work

Last edited:
The 10.11.5 update went fine on my NUC5i7RYH. I never did the 10.11.4 update on my NUC5i5 so I assume when I go to 10.11.5, I'll have to do the CsrActiveConfig change from 0x3 to 0x67 as my i7 is currently set that way. If I ever do the update, I'll chime in on how the direct .3 - .5 update goes.

edit: changed CsrActiveConfig on the NUC5i5 from 0x3 to 0x67 and did the 10.11.3 to .5 update and everything worked properly. For some reason my App Store didn't find the update so I had to download the Combo update from Apple but I did the whole thing wirelessly through screen sharing from my NUC5i7, which worked great especially as it was done through the necessary 3rd party USB wireless adapter.

Last edited:
Hello everyone and sorry for my English, I have MSI CUBI-0011BEU, Broadwell 5200U proc, 4GB RAM 128GB mSATA * 1ant has ...
I followed this tutorial:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/m...d-el-capitan-all-working-except-wi-fi.182617/
I have two problems:
the first is the ALC283 driver that does not work, I have neither the sound with the HDMI or with the mini display if I fixed the hda: kernel panic, the jack works, the video also .
Second worries I can not go into the macbook air 7.2 Clover in early 2015, I do not understand the part 17 of the tutorial.
Thanks/Merci :)

Hi, I was using this guide to install on my 5i5MYHE but kept getting the BT panic.
After searching I found this bios setting:
"Devices->Onboard Devices->Legacy Device Configuration, disable "Serial Port" (panic in BT kexts if not disabled)"
in this guide
It might be useful to others with the same NUC, to add this to the original post.
Thanks for your guide!

Edwhardo
are what you know to the shuffle definition 7.2 in preference system, I do not understand the section 17 of the tutorial , I 'm changed and I'm still spare 6.2 macbook air is Haswell , I guess this has an impact on the machine ...

Hi emmetbrown, Sorry for the delay, I'm using the non-curved LG 34UM95 with the Broadwell NUC5I7RYH hooked up with an MD-MD cable. The full 3440x1440 resolution is available at the monitor's 60Hz default refresh rate. My NUC5I5RYH behaves the same. The monitor will to 3440x1440 at 50Hz through the HDMI connection but I find some scrolling not to be smooth at 50Hz. This is not a NUC thing as I also have a 2012 i7quad Mini hooked to the monitor's TBolt port which also only can push 3440x1440 at 50Hz and the scrolling is also not always smooth. I switch the NUC to 2650x1440 @60Hz for some games which cannot map the ~21:9 (really 43:18) properly and the display is pixel perfect, with the extra pixels on the sides going black.

I've had zero issues with it so far in terms of usage with the NUC however I have issues with the monitor itself. The biggest is the high black level and relatively high minimum brightness. If you intend to sit very close to it, I'd heavily recommend the curved monitor as there's just a hair of darkening at the edges thanks to the steep viewing angle if you sit close. Most of the time I never notice this. I'm no fan of curved TVs but for this single person use, the curved form factor should be better.

Other notes: I'm never even once wanted more space on my screen, it surpasses everything else in this. The only other consideration is 4K Retina. I bought my NUCs for the specific purpose of 4K 60Hz support which is not available from an inexpensive Apple desktop. However I don't want full res 40" 4K as that's just too big. Rather I'd probably want ~28" Retina 4K and after having used a Retina 5K iMac recently, I just don't know if I'd like the regular rez 34" ultrawide or the Retina 28" 4K on this NUC. We shall see...
Hi LewZealand,

no problem, and thanks for the detailed answer - much appreciated! Never had an 4k or a curved monitor before, so I think I`ll go for the curved LG. The 4K Option was an argument for me as well to get the NUC.

Unfortunately, my Broadwell i7 died soon after I asked, the store offered my to switch against the Skylake i5 which I gladly accepted.

Thanks again,
Cheers
eb

good job

Last edited:
A complete newbie here. I was able to install 10.11.3 on my NUC5I3RYH, the computer was running great, and then I made the mistake of updating to 10.11.4 right when it was released. Since then I have been getting the crossed circle sign and the OS does not boot. I have been able to load only into Safe Mode. The Guide has a warning about that but the link is dead... Please, help.
10.11.4 WARNING: make this change before upgrading to 10.11.4, or use the fix in that post if you've already updated to 10.11.4 and can't boot any more.
And since then we had 10.11.5 , so I am not sure what that may mean for installation or re-installation. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back