Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dual boot Windows and Yosemite with Clover EFI Boot Loader on a Acer Aspire V Nitro VN7-591G

Status
Not open for further replies.
ylums,

what happens when you plug your AC adapter into the laptop? Are you seeing the icon change from battery to a lightning bolt? When I am plugged in, it says I am on battery.

Make sure your DSDT is correctly patched according to the guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/152573-guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.html

Could be your PNOT method is accessing objects that are not defined due to dropping all OEM CPU related SSDTs. See patch "Fix PNOT/PPNT..."

Please have a look at post # 49. When I search the DSDT for the field names that are higher than 8-bit, none of them seem to be accessed (so in theory, there is nothing for us to patch). Using my stock DSDT and the ACPIBatteryManager.kext, all I get is the battery icon telling me I am on battery (even when plugged in). Have you got it going?

It could also be that you're not emulating a version of Windows (lack of "OS Check Fix"). Or you need other patches (Mutex with non-zero SyncLevel, for example).

You can use the debug version of ACPIBatteryManager.kext to see what is going on. Look at the output in system.log.

ylums,

what happens when you plug your AC adapter into the laptop? Are you seeing the icon change from battery to a lightning bolt? When I am plugged in, it says I am on battery.

Please have a look at post # 49. When I search the DSDT for the field names that are higher than 8-bit, none of them seem to be accessed (so in theory, there is nothing for us to patch). Using my stock DSDT and the ACPIBatteryManager.kext, all I get is the battery icon telling me I am on battery (even when plugged in). Have you got it going?

have you made any other edits to the DSDT or SSDT files other than brightness fix and disable Nvidia?

Thanks

It only shows lightning bolt when my battery is less than 100% and plugged in charging but it shows I am on battery too when 100% fully charged.

I edited SSDT4 and SSDT5 only for brightness fix and disable nvidia.

Rehabman,

Nothing I do seems to work on my end. I applied all of the common laptop patches, and no matter what, it always just shows I am on battery only.

Another question. How can one make sure that all of the Intel stuff is working properly, and what I mean by that is the Intel Speedstep. I don't want to wear out the CPU by having it on full blast all of the time. I see in /System/Library/Extensions there are a bunch of Intel kexts, but how does one make sure that OSX is utilizing the Intel stuff properly?

Thanks as always

Rehabman,

Nothing I do seems to work on my end. I applied all of the common laptop patches, and no matter what, it always just shows I am on battery only.

Use the debug version of ACPIBatteryManager.kext to further debug.

Another question. How can one make sure that all of the Intel stuff is working properly, and what I mean by that is the Intel Speedstep. I don't want to wear out the CPU by having it on full blast all of the time. I see in /System/Library/Extensions there are a bunch of Intel kexts, but how does one make sure that OSX is utilizing the Intel stuff properly?

It is covered in the guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/146870-guide-native-power-management-laptops.html

Rehabman,

I realized upon reading the Guide foe Native Power Management that I never customized my SMBIOS. In my Clover config.plist, I only have a reference to the following:

Code:
	<key>SMBIOS</key>
	<dict>
		<key>ProductName</key>
		<string>MacBookPro11,2</string>
	</dict>

I loaded up Clover Configurator, updated it, and went into the SMBIOS tab, then clicked on the Magic Wand and selected "MacBookPro11,2" and it provided me with a bunch of new values.

QUESTION: I read on the Clover wiki that the Serial number generated by Clover Config is useless and probably banned. What should I do?? How does one create a serial? Also, can this be part of the reason my battery status is not working?

Rehabman,

I realized upon reading the Guide foe Native Power Management that I never customized my SMBIOS. In my Clover config.plist, I only have a reference to the following:

Code:
	<key>SMBIOS</key>
	<dict>
		<key>ProductName</key>
		<string>MacBookPro11,2</string>
	</dict>

I loaded up Clover Configurator, updated it, and went into the SMBIOS tab, then clicked on the Magic Wand and selected "MacBookPro11,2" and it provided me with a bunch of new values.

QUESTION: I read on the Clover wiki that the Serial number generated by Clover Config is useless and probably banned. What should I do?? How does one create a serial? Also, can this be part of the reason my battery status is not working?

Use Clover Configurator to create a random serial#.

As for battery status, run the debug ACPIBatteryManager.kext and look at the output in system.log.

Rehabman,

Re: Power Management.

OK, so I created a proper SMBIOS and serial number using Clover Configurator. Then I used the ssdtPRgen.sh script to generate an SSDT.aml (I simply ran the script without any parameters). The script seemed to work ok and didn't throw any errors. My newly updated config.plist is in /EFI/CLOVER/config.plist and the newly created SSDT.aml is in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched. Few questions:

I previously disposed of two SSDTs (SSDT2.aml and SSDT3.aml) because these contained all of the CPU stuff from Linux ACPI extraction. So I have a DSDT.aml, SSDT1.aml, SSDT4.aml and SSDT5.aml in this patched folder. When I upload this SSDT created by the script to the patched folder, this is my SortedOrder:

Code:
    <key>SortedOrder</key>        <array>
            <string>SSDT.aml</string>
            <string>SSDT1.aml</string>
            <string>SSDT4.aml</string>
            <string>SSDT5.aml</string>
        </array>

Is this how it should be setup?

In your guide for Native Power Management for Laptops, you state in the "testing PM" section to reboot and test it. When I run the DPCIManager and run PStates, what exactly am I looking for? In other words, how does one know if PM is working properly. I read the guide over and over, but the guide doesn't state what to look for.

I run the following two commands in terminal

Code:
kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu
kextstat|grep -y acpiplat

Kexts are being loaded. I also applied the Haswell LPC patch from your repo (because AppleLPC was not loading previously), but the greater question remains: How does one know if PM is working? I downloaded the Intel Power Gadget, and my CPU is running at 50 degrees Celsius in idle consistently. This seems high.

Sorry for all the questions. Your help is always greatly appreciated.

Rehabman,

Re: Power Management.

OK, so I created a proper SMBIOS and serial number using Clover Configurator. Then I used the ssdtPRgen.sh script to generate an SSDT.aml (I simply ran the script without any parameters). The script seemed to work ok and didn't throw any errors. My newly updated config.plist is in /EFI/CLOVER/config.plist and the newly created SSDT.aml is in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched. Few questions:

I previously disposed of two SSDTs (SSDT2.aml and SSDT3.aml) because these contained all of the CPU stuff from Linux ACPI extraction. So I have a DSDT.aml, SSDT1.aml, SSDT4.aml and SSDT5.aml in this patched folder. When I upload this SSDT created by the script to the patched folder, this is my SortedOrder:

Code:
    <key>SortedOrder</key>        <array>
            <string>SSDT.aml</string>
            <string>SSDT1.aml</string>
            <string>SSDT4.aml</string>
            <string>SSDT5.aml</string>
        </array>

Is this how it should be setup?

Looks correct.

In your guide for Native Power Management for Laptops, you state in the "testing PM" section to reboot and test it. When I run the DPCIManager and run PStates, what exactly am I looking for? In other words, how does one know if PM is working properly. I read the guide over and over, but the guide doesn't state what to look for.

Multiple pstates within the range of those specified by Intel for your CPU is a sign it is working correctly.

I run the following two commands in terminal

Code:
kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu
kextstat|grep -y acpiplat

Kexts are being loaded.

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext should not be loaded with Haswell CPU.

I also applied the Haswell LPC patch from your repo (because AppleLPC was not loading previously), but the greater question remains: How does one know if PM is working? I downloaded the Intel Power Gadget, and my CPU is running at 50 degrees Celsius in idle consistently. This seems high.

Check pstates with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext and/or DPCIManager. Check that X86PlatformPlugin is loaded (in ioreg) under CPU0. Check that NullCPU is not loaded. That is... items on the checklist.

Looks correct.

Multiple pstates within the range of those specified by Intel for your CPU is a sign it is working correctly.

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext should not be loaded with Haswell CPU.

Check pstates with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext and/or DPCIManager. Check that X86PlatformPlugin is loaded (in ioreg) under CPU0. Check that NullCPU is not loaded. That is... items on the checklist.

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is in my /System/Library/Extensions folder. When I run kextstat, I do not see it loaded (I do however see the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext loaded). Is this ok?? Should I just delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext or since it is not being loaded it can be safely ignored?

When I run ssdtPRGen.sh, this is the output

Code:
Haswell Core i7-4710HQ processor [0x306C3] setup [0x0705]
With a maximum TDP of 47 Watt, as specified by Intel
Number logical CPU's: 8 (Core Frequency: 2500 MHz)
Number of Turbo States: 10 (2600-3500 MHz)
Number of P-States: 28 (800-3500 MHz)
Adjusting C-States for detected (mobile) processor
Injected C-States for CPU0 (C1,C3,C6,C7)
Injected C-States for CPU1 (C1,C2,C3,C6,C7)

When I run DPCIManager and go into P States, this is what I am getting (just a snippet)

Code:
2015-04-18, 7:06:34 PM, Current State: 25
2015-04-18, 7:06:34 PM, P States: 8, 17, 25, 27, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
2015-04-18, 7:06:27 PM, Current State: 17
2015-04-18, 7:06:27 PM, P States: 8, 17, 25, 27, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
2015-04-18, 7:06:21 PM, Current State: 17
2015-04-18, 7:06:21 PM, P States: 8, 17, 25, 27, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
2015-04-18, 7:06:14 PM, Current State: 17
2015-04-18, 7:06:14 PM, P States: 8, 17, 25, 27, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33

Thanks man

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is in my /System/Library/Extensions folder. When I run kextstat, I do not see it loaded (I do however see the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext loaded). Is this ok??

Correct for Haswell.

Should I just delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext or since it is not being loaded it can be safely ignored?

No need to delete it. The only reason to delete a kext is if it is loading and you don't want it to.

Two examples: Somewhat common when AppleHDA is causing problems with VoodooHDA. Or AppleRTLEthernet8169.kext (included with Snow Leopard) is causing problems for an Ethernet kext you're trying to use (eg. RealtekRTL8111.kext).

When I run ssdtPRGen.sh, this is the output

Code:
Haswell Core i7-4710HQ processor [0x306C3] setup [0x0705]
With a maximum TDP of 47 Watt, as specified by Intel
Number logical CPU's: 8 (Core Frequency: 2500 MHz)
Number of Turbo States: 10 (2600-3500 MHz)
Number of P-States: 28 (800-3500 MHz)
Adjusting C-States for detected (mobile) processor
Injected C-States for CPU0 (C1,C3,C6,C7)
Injected C-States for CPU1 (C1,C2,C3,C6,C7)

When I run DPCIManager and go into P States, this is what I am getting (just a snippet)

Code:
2015-04-18, 7:06:34 PM, Current State: 25
2015-04-18, 7:06:34 PM, P States: 8, 17, 25, 27, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
2015-04-18, 7:06:27 PM, Current State: 17
2015-04-18, 7:06:27 PM, P States: 8, 17, 25, 27, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
2015-04-18, 7:06:21 PM, Current State: 17
2015-04-18, 7:06:21 PM, P States: 8, 17, 25, 27, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
2015-04-18, 7:06:14 PM, Current State: 17
2015-04-18, 7:06:14 PM, P States: 8, 17, 25, 27, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33

Looks normal/expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.