Contribute
Register

[Guide] Disabling discrete graphics in dual-GPU laptops

@RehabMan thank you for your patience. You really are a saint lol. I've read the guide carefully now. I missed the static part. I've attached by EFI folder with my patched DSDT and SSDT for disabling nvidia. System won't boot as is with drop OEM enabled. Maybe it's the code moved from HGOF to EC0. I'm not sure if I did that correctly.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 77
@RehabMan thank you for your patience. You really are a saint lol. I've read the guide carefully now. I missed the static part. I've attached by EFI folder with my patched DSDT and SSDT for disabling nvidia. System won't boot as is with drop OEM enabled. Maybe it's the code moved from HGOF to EC0. I'm not sure if I did that correctly.

Keep in mind SSDT.aml and SSDT-PNLF.aml will not load as you forgot to put them in SortedOrder.
Probably not what you intended...

And you're not able to boot because you now have unbalanced renames.
You have various rename patches in config.plist, such as GFX0->IGPU.
But such patches apply only to ACPI/patched/DSDT.aml, not the SSDTs in ACPI/patched.
This means that some of the SSDTs are still using GFX0, but DSDT will be hotpatched for IGPU.
Leading to mismatched names, unbalanced renames...

Keep in mind SSDT.aml and SSDT-PNLF.aml will not load as you forgot to put them in SortedOrder.
Probably not what you intended...

And you're not able to boot because you now have unbalanced renames.
You have various rename patches in config.plist, such as GFX0->IGPU.
But such patches apply only to ACPI/patched/DSDT.aml, not the SSDTs in ACPI/patched.
This means that some of the SSDTs are still using GFX0, but DSDT will be hotpatched for IGPU.
Leading to mismatched names, unbalanced renames...

ahhhhh. Thanks so much ok so I need to add those other files to sorted order and then patch all the other ssdts with the same renames that are in clover.

do I need to rename EC0 in all ssdts to EC

THANK YOU!!!! @RehabMan.
I finally disabled Nvidia integrated graphics. Well atleast it's no longer in system info > graphics. Display brightness slider gone now even tho I added it to sorted order. I'm working on that. Any suggestions?

UPDATE: NM had to rebuild kernel cache as I had moved kexts from Clover to L/E

Everything is now working. My desktops over the years have been a piece of cake compared to this laptop.

Once again thank you rehabman aka geniusman

Last edited:
do I need to rename EC0 in all ssdts to EC

If the SSDTs have references to EC0 and you're using Clover EC0->EC rename, yes...
As would be the case with any rename patch.

THANK YOU!!!! @RehabMan.
I finally disabled Nvidia integrated graphics. Well atleast it's no longer in system info > graphics. Display brightness slider gone now even tho I added it to sorted order. I'm working on that. Any suggestions?

UPDATE: NM had to rebuild kernel cache as I had moved kexts from Clover to L/E

Everything is now working. My desktops over the years have been a piece of cake compared to this laptop.

Once again thank you rehabman aka geniusman

Congrats.

I'm trying to disable the AMD Radeon 8870M on my laptop.
However, I cannot see the _OFF method described on the guide in any of the SSDTs that I have.
The _ON method is located at SSDT-8.aml. I can't find the _OFF method.

Here are my files:

(I'm using El Capitan 10.11.6)

Edit: Forgot kextstat output.

Attachments

• report files 2.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 69
Last edited:
I'm trying to disable the AMD Radeon 8870M on my laptop.
However, I cannot see the _OFF method described on the guide in any of the SSDTs that I have.
The _ON method is located at SSDT-8.aml. I can't find the _OFF method.

_OFF is in SSDT-8.
Look again. Carefully.

_OFF is in SSDT-8.
Look again. Carefully.

Ah I though that it is still located at other SSDT as per the original guide.
And the code OFF is not defined the same as the one in the guide.
I have added _OFF () in INI. It works now, thank you.

Ah I though that it is still located at other SSDT as per the original guide.
And the code OFF is not defined the same as the one in the guide.
I have added _OFF () in INI. It works now, thank you.

_OFF and _INI and the files they are located in are system dependent.
The example provided in the guide is exactly that... an example.

Each computer requires analysis (as per guide) to find the relevant files for that specific computer.

Back