Contribute
Register

[Guide] Disabling discrete graphics in dual-GPU laptops

Hello RehabMan, I have zipped the entire Clover folder without separating origin directory. I would appreciate if you could have a look. I have been following this guide for last 3 months and have tried many things only after which I asked for help.

I did come to this post because my computer has problems with the sleep/wake. I think I am missing something which is either unique to this optimus set-up or something in the code itself.

Thanks for all your support and directions :)

Read post #1, "Problem Reporting".

Hello RehabMan

I followed the guide and was able to switch-off the Nvidia card. However, now I have sleep /wake issues.
My laptop screen switches off as soon as I click on  -> Sleep
But in reality it never goes into sleep as there is keyboard light still on. When I press any key, the screen doesn't switch on anymore and the only way to get out of this is to keep pressing the power button until it reboots.

Attached are the files for your reference.
Files attached:
  1. Clover.zip
  2. IOReg (MacBook9.1.zip)
  3. RehabMan.zip (from Patchmatic).
Appreciate if you could have a look and tell me what I need to put in _PTS and _WAK (I already have _ON() called in _PTS() and _OFF() called in _WAK()).

Output from kextstat|grep -y acpiplat

13 2 0xffffff7f8278e000 0x66000 0x66000 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform (4.0) A29C7512-D3A8-3AED-9721-3A5FF1A32EB2 <12 11 7 6 5 4 3 1>

Just in case my profile doesn't have proper info:

Laptop - Asus Zenbook UX303UB
CPU - Intel Core i5 6200U
Graphics - Intel HD 520
Nvidia GeForce 940M (2GB)

PS: I use a USB for wifi and I have tried removing it before clicking on Sleep. It hasn't worked.

Thanks for all your help in this community.

Cheers,

Attachments

• Clover.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 90
  • MacBook9.1.zip
    440.6 KB · Views: 89
  • RehabMan.zip
    66.1 KB · Views: 97
Hello RehabMan

I followed the guide and was able to switch-off the Nvidia card. However, now I have sleep /wake issues.
My laptop screen switches off as soon as I click on  -> Sleep
But in reality it never goes into sleep as there is keyboard light still on. When I press any key, the screen doesn't switch on anymore and the only way to get out of this is to keep pressing the power button until it reboots.

Attached are the files for your reference.
Files attached:
  1. Clover.zip
  2. IOReg (MacBook9.1.zip)
  3. RehabMan.zip (from Patchmatic).
Appreciate if you could have a look and tell me what I need to put in _PTS and _WAK (I already have _ON() called in _PTS() and _OFF() called in _WAK()).

Output from kextstat|grep -y acpiplat

13 2 0xffffff7f8278e000 0x66000 0x66000 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform (4.0) A29C7512-D3A8-3AED-9721-3A5FF1A32EB2 <12 11 7 6 5 4 3 1>

Just in case my profile doesn't have proper info:

Laptop - Asus Zenbook UX303UB
CPU - Intel Core i5 6200U
Graphics - Intel HD 520
Nvidia GeForce 940M (2GB)

PS: I use a USB for wifi and I have tried removing it before clicking on Sleep. It hasn't worked.

Thanks for all your help in this community.

Cheers,

You did not follow the guide correctly.

You should not move the code from the SSDTs to DSDT (SGPI, CCHK, SGPO, HGON, etc).
Start over and follow the guide as written.

Code:
kextstat|grep -y acpiplat
13 1 0xffffff7f829ee000 0x60000 0x60000 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform (5.0) B8468080-CED9-30EA-B151-33368AF9555B <12 11 7 6 5 4 3 1>

Code:
kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu
No output

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 92
  • iMac.zip
    2 MB · Views: 91
  • RehabMan.zip
    36.5 KB · Views: 84
Code:
kextstat|grep -y acpiplat
13 1 0xffffff7f829ee000 0x60000 0x60000 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform (5.0) B8468080-CED9-30EA-B151-33368AF9555B <12 11 7 6 5 4 3 1>

Code:
kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu
No output

You have the wrong files in ACPI/patched. Based on ACPI/origin, you should have in ACPI/patched:
DSDT.aml
SSDT.aml (ssdtPRgen.sh)
SSDT-0.aml
SSDT-1.aml
SSDT-2.aml
SSDT-6.aml
SSDT-7.aml
SSDT-8.aml
SSDT-9.aml
SSDT-10.aml

Also, your config.plist does not have the correct ACPI configuration.
DropOem=true is required with patched SSDTs in ACPI/patched.
And SortedOrder must be used to insure correct SSDT load order.

See guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/

You have the wrong files in ACPI/patched. Based on ACPI/origin, you should have in ACPI/patched:
DSDT.aml
SSDT.aml (ssdtPRgen.sh)
SSDT-0.aml
SSDT-1.aml
SSDT-2.aml
SSDT-6.aml
SSDT-7.aml
SSDT-8.aml
SSDT-9.aml
SSDT-10.aml

Also, your config.plist does not have the correct ACPI configuration.
DropOem=true is required with patched SSDTs in ACPI/patched.
And SortedOrder must be used to insure correct SSDT load order.

See guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/

I got a little confused here. I thought that keeping redundant SSDTs doesn't cause any problem. In addition, the SortedOrder can be eliminated since the order of loading the SSDTs is identical to the defined order. About DropOem, your suggestion is to disable it? I do have patched SSDTs. SSDT.aml (ssdtPRgen.sh) is the origin SSDT?

I got a little confused here. I thought that keeping redundant SSDTs doesn't cause any problem.

Your 'thoughts' are wrong.
As per guide, dynamic SSDTs should not be in ACPI/patched.

In addition, the SortedOrder can be eliminated since the order of loading the SSDTs is identical to the defined order.

You are wrong. Clover loads the SSDTs based on the order of the file entries in the FAT32 directory entries. That order is non-deterministic (depends on the sequence of file creation, file deletion, file rename). Therefore the order must be specified in SortedOrder. Clover has no specified order based on naming.

About DropOem, your suggestion is to disable it? I do have patched SSDTs.

There are two states for DropOem. True or False.

The rule is simple:
If patched SSDTs are in ACPI/patched, DropOem=true is required.
If no patched SSDTs are in ACPI/patched, DropOem=false is required.

Your 'thoughts' are wrong.
As per guide, dynamic SSDTs should not be in ACPI/patched.

You are wrong. Clover loads the SSDTs based on the order of the file entries in the FAT32 directory entries. That order is non-deterministic (depends on the sequence of file creation, file deletion, file rename). Therefore the order must be specified in SortedOrder. Clover has no specified order based on naming.

There are two states for DropOem. True or False.

The rule is simple:
If patched SSDTs are in ACPI/patched, DropOem=true is required.
If no patched SSDTs are in ACPI/patched, DropOem=false is required.

Dynamic SSDTs should be deleted or moved somewhere else. SSDT.aml (ssdtPRgen.sh) is the origin SSDT or should I produce it somehow?

Dynamic SSDTs are used during disassembly, and simply never make their way to ACPI/patched.
SSDT.aml is produced by ssdtPRgen.sh.
See power management guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-native-power-management-for-laptops.175801/

I generated SSDT.aml using ssdtPRgen.sh. I placed it in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched. You told me to have the following SSDTs in SortedOrder of config.plist

SSDT.aml (ssdtPRgen.sh)
SSDT-0.aml
SSDT-1.aml
SSDT-2.aml
SSDT-6.aml
SSDT-7.aml
SSDT-8.aml
SSDT-9.aml
SSDT-10.aml

There is no SSDT-0.aml. Also graphics card got disabled with this order and brightness keys (which were controlled with SSDT-12.aml)

Back