Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9560 Ventura OpenCore

I have an Intel 660p NVME drive in my system (Has the latest firmware update)

After typing my password on the Filevault screen, I timed 52 seconds.

Taking out the time needed to type my password, it was 1 minute and 15 seconds between pressing the power button and reaching the MacOS desktop screen.

It's been like this with every version of MacOS so I believe that it has something to do with the NVME drive.

In regards to the Bluetooth, the DW1830 is so far working flawlessly, so it might be an option if the DW1560 bug is not eventually resolved.
Does the DW1830 work natively or does it also require kexts?

Does the DW1830 work natively or does it also require kexts?
I read online that it works natively but I needed kexts to get Bluetooth working for sure. I can't recall whether WiFi worked natively though - it's been about 3 years now since I originally set it up.

The EFI provided in the OP is sufficient to get it running.

The DW1560 Bluetooth issues on Ventrua are resolved using the latest releses of BrcmPatchRAM kexts.

I take it back - I didn't initially see issues with Bluetooth but now I am unable to enable Bluetooth in 13.4. Sigh.
The Console log shows bluetooth errors.

In the system report, Bluetooth is listed as:

Bluetooth Controller:
Address: NULL
State: Off
Chipset: BCM_4350C2
Discoverable: Off
Firmware Version: v0 c0
Supported Devices: 0x382039 < HFP AVRCP A2DP HID Braille AACP GATT SerialPort >
Transport: USB
Vendor ID: 0x004C (Apple)

I tried the most recent BRCM BT kexts but still no luck.

There's a bugtracker thread here: https://github.com/acidanthera/bugtracker/issues/1821

Currently chasing up a proposed fix from here: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/356769-update-to-ventura-134-bluetooth-no-longer-works-bcm94352hmb/#comment-2804908

Edit: The above NVRAM additions were not successful. Much sadness :(
The fixes that worked for others don't seem to work for me.

I do have a 1560 so will swap it in if a future brcm update does not fix the issue.

Last edited:
in my laptop, BIOS shows that the battery is in excellent condition but in macOS it shows "Service recommended". Which stat is more accurate?
Always trust your BIOS and your personal experience. The macOS recommendations are limits set by Apple for a MacBook Pro, which we certainly do not have. FWIW, I put a brand new, from Dell battery in my 9560 just a few months ago and it already suggests service in macOS.
I take it back - I didn't initially see issues with Bluetooth but now I am unable to enable Bluetooth in 13.4. Sigh.
The Console log shows bluetooth errors.

In the system report, Bluetooth is listed as:

I tried the most recent BRCM BT kexts but still no luck.

There's a bugtracker thread here: https://github.com/acidanthera/bugtracker/issues/1821

Currently chasing up a proposed fix from here: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/356769-update-to-ventura-134-bluetooth-no-longer-works-bcm94352hmb/#comment-2804908

Edit: The above NVRAM additions were not successful. Much sadness :(
The fixes that worked for others don't seem to work for me.

I do have a 1560 so will swap it in if a future brcm update does not fix the issue.
I am still on 13.3.1 (a) on my systems. Looks like there is already an issue on Bugtracker for this, also with a DW1830. I will hold off on an upgrade, as Bluetooth is important to me.

Last edited:
To all those following - you are clear to update to the latest 13.5 release. I'll release an updated bootpack next week when OpenCore 0.9.4 drops with experimental Sonoma support.
For those like myself who wish to continue to use this machine, there is good news that Broadcom WiFi support has been preliminarily patched in, and HD 630 binaries are still live in Sonoma.

Another oddity I have noticed is that the Type-C implementation we are using does not play nicely with NVMe disks. If you are using an external NVMe enclosure with a C to C connection, it can cause the system to lock Finder up during operations. Using a Type-A to Type-C cable works around this issue.

Success upgrading from Ventura to MacOS Sonoma on my Dell XPS 9560!
How: keep the same EFI being used for Ventura and OpenCore (I'm at OC 9.4DEV). Just change the SMBIOS from MacBookPro14,3 to MacBookPro15,1 using the GenSMBIOS tool to change the appropriate MLB, SystemSerialNumber, and SystemUUID to the new MacBookPro15,1 type. I have the Intel AX210 wifi/BT card, using the itlwm kext method from Dortania which gives working wifi under Sonoma. Sonoma breaks the Broadcom Wifi from working.

Success upgrading from Ventura to MacOS Sonoma on my Dell XPS 9560!
How: keep the same EFI being used for Ventura and OpenCore (I'm at OC 9.4DEV). Just change the SMBIOS from MacBookPro14,3 to MacBookPro15,1 using the GenSMBIOS tool to change the appropriate MLB, SystemSerialNumber, and SystemUUID to the new MacBookPro15,1 type. I have the Intel AX210 wifi/BT card, using the itlwm kext method from Dortania which gives working wifi under Sonoma. Sonoma breaks the Broadcom Wifi from working.

Ah that's bad news. I looked this up and what you said seems accurate about dropping Broadcom support.

I do have a spare AX210 but everything is working so well with my DW1830 that I might stay on Ventura for the time being. I also got Facetime and iMessage working, so I'm in no hurry to alter my SMBIOS and risk having more issues.

OpenIntelWireless does seem to have made good progress though and it seems that AirportItlwm.kext should allow some Continuity features at the expense of some extra configuration at first.

But it's great to know that Sonoma is working at least - thank you for sharing.

Back