Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9560 Ventura OpenCore

I managed to compile the kext file and command line tool. When I ran it, the attached values are shown. Are those the default offset values or the ones I had set through BIOS?

Based on the Github guide, would this be the correct format to set undervolt values:

Code:
./voltageshift offset -100 -100 0 0 0 0 60

I don't quite understand what values I need to fill in. i have the same CPU as you do.

These values are adequate and your formatting is correct. The amount you can undervolt depends on your silicon. My CPU is undervolted to -160, which is very low. Your above screenshot indicates that the offset was successful. It appears you are good to go.

A word of warning, do not commit the change to the startup options if you are going to play with the values. It can cause the system to crash. Instead, keep those options you have now until you are sure the system is stable with lower values. It's a lot of trial and error to maximize the potential.

Last edited:
These values are adequate and your formatting is correct. The amount you can undervolt depends on your silicon. My CPU is undervolted to -160, which is very low. Your above screenshot indicates that the offset was successful. It appears you are good to go.

A word of warning, do not commit the change to the startup options if you are going to play with the values. It can cause the system to crash. Instead, keep those options you have now until you are sure the system is stable with lower values. It's a lot of trial and error to maximize the potential.
I had applied these values using modGrubShell. When I was following the guide, I thought that's how it was supposed to be done. Does that mean that VoltageShift.kext is not needed?

I had applied these values using modGrubShell. When I was following the guide, I thought that's how it was supposed to be done. Does that mean that VoltageShift.kext is not needed?

Oh, really? It is possible that VoltageShift is not needed on your machine, then. Many moons ago when I attempted to undervolt using modGrubShell, it was either unstable, lost its undervolt on sleep, or lost its undervolt randomly. My machine only runs macOS, so VoltageShift was the logical choice. If your undervolts are stable using the UEFI variables, then you may be good to go already. Thank you for sharing!

Attached is the latest release using OC 0.9.1 to support macOS 13.3.1.

This commit also enables support for the integrated Realtek SD card reader. These kexts were previously disabled by default, but updates have made them stable enough for use.

Attachments

• XPS 9560 v2.1 - OC 0.9.1.zip
    76.6 MB · Views: 88
I used OCAT to update Opencore to 0.9.2
Unusually, OCAT didn't auto fix the string under UEFI->Output->InitialMode, so I had to manually edit the config.plist to include 'Auto' in the string entry. It was an easy enough fix with some Googling but I thought it was weird that it didn't auto fix.

Updated MacOS to 13.3.1(a), which was fairly quick and straightforward.

After rebooting I had one instance, where the loading screen got stuck (After the Filevault password entry screen) and I had to hold the power button down. I tried rebooting a bunch of times but I couldn't replicate the issue, so I guess it was just a hiccup. I'll update this post if I see it happen again.

I used OCAT to update Opencore to 0.9.2
Unusually, OCAT didn't auto fix the string under UEFI->Output->InitialMode, so I had to manually edit the config.plist to include 'Auto' in the string entry. It was an easy enough fix with some Googling but I thought it was weird that it didn't auto fix.

Updated MacOS to 13.3.1(a), which was fairly quick and straightforward.

After rebooting I had one instance, where the loading screen got stuck (After the Filevault password entry screen) and I had to hold the power button down. I tried rebooting a bunch of times but I couldn't replicate the issue, so I guess it was just a hiccup. I'll update this post if I see it happen again.
Thanks for the report. I always notice an oddity after installing an update, either graphically during boot, or something similar, but it always goes away after a reboot.

A PSA to any still following, there appear to be lingering, minor bluetooth issues with the DW1560. Just now, I had to reboot to connect my headphones - this is apparently a known bug.

The SD card reader update posted with Ventura is working great. NO stability issues to report.

What is the average boot time you guys are getting on this laptop? I feel mine is a bit slow compared to my previous laptop running macOS.
From FileVault, my machine boots in 24 seconds, though I tend not to reboot my machine very often, since sleep/wake works so well.

I just timed it right now. From the OC boot picker, it took 56 seconds to reach login screen. I wonder if its an issue with the drive. My desktop PC had similar issue after installing Ventura on a Samsung NVME drive. I had to upgrade to a different drive to fix this issue.

I have an Intel 660p NVME drive in my system (Has the latest firmware update)

After typing my password on the Filevault screen, I timed 52 seconds.

Taking out the time needed to type my password, it was 1 minute and 15 seconds between pressing the power button and reaching the MacOS desktop screen.

It's been like this with every version of MacOS so I believe that it has something to do with the NVME drive.

In regards to the Bluetooth, the DW1830 is so far working flawlessly, so it might be an option if the DW1560 bug is not eventually resolved.

Actually, bluetooth is no longer working flawlessly with the the most recent 13.4 update. WiFi is fine at least...

Last edited:
Back