Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9560 Ventura OpenCore

hi there. Thank you very much for your guide, i'm all ready in ventura and is running perfect
The only think i cant find how to change (or build) is the serial number in the config file
Can you help me with it , or tell me where can i find the way to do that?
Hi.You can use Gensmbios to get the serial number and the recipe in the config

thank you , i'll try to fix it

@InsaneCultist, I created a Ventura USB installer and placed the EFI folder in the EFI partition but. i am unable to boot from the USB installer. Any idea what could be causing this?
unable to boot......? not much to go on

It says "Selected boot device failed".

I created the USB installer using the guide here.

One thing I notice that when I press F12 during boot up, it shows the USB mass storage under Legacy option. Not sure if that's what the issue is.

Update:

I was able to boot with the USB installer on my desktop PC. The boot menu at startup detected USB as UEFI.

Last edited:
For some reason, I have to manually create entries in Boot Sequence inside BIOS for the UEFI drives to show up in boot menu. Nonetheless, I have the system up and running.

I had question about undervolting. Which UEFI variables do I have to change from the guide you have posted? Are teh ones from line 19 to line 34 for undervolting?

I also tried to compile the VoltageShift app through Terminal but it showed errors about the OS not being compatible.

About undervolting.

On BIOS versions above 1.18.0 basically its possible to undervolt only CPU (core and cache) and system agent (not recommended) via variables.
What about iGPU? In order to undervolt it you need both intel GPU and iGPU unslice is same offset. And at least on both my 9560 GT Unsliced offset (var 0x874) doesnt affect any voltages and my iGPU is not undervolted.

I tested all of it in windows with help of Throttlestop and HWINFO.

After that i decide to go back to 1.18.0. I build Voltageshift and start testing.
Voltageshift have some inaccuracies so its system agency offset is actually iGPU unslice and analogy i/o is actually a system agent (tested with help of windows and throttlestop since MSR stay after reboot)
Now i have both CPU and iGPU undervolted.

Another strange thing i discovered after i set up power consumption meter (stats app).
I put laptop for sleep and sometimes after wake up my iGPU stuck at 5w power consumption. Only reboot can beat it. Does anybody have similar thing? You can check it by temperature - laptop start heating up to 60 C and you can feel it a bit heated, standard idle temps are about 40 C and basically cannot be felt.

About undervolting.

Another strange thing i discovered after i set up power consumption meter (stats app).
I put laptop for sleep and sometimes after wake up my iGPU stuck at 5w power consumption. Only reboot can beat it. Does anybody have similar thing? You can check it by temperature - laptop start heating up to 60 C and you can feel it a bit heated, standard idle temps are about 40 C and basically cannot be felt.
Thank you for the good info. I do not have the 5W iGPU issue. Currently looking at 0.88W while typing this and the system just woke up from sleep.
For some reason, I have to manually create entries in Boot Sequence inside BIOS for the UEFI drives to show up in boot menu. Nonetheless, I have the system up and running.

I had question about undervolting. Which UEFI variables do I have to change from the guide you have posted? Are teh ones from line 19 to line 34 for undervolting?

I also tried to compile the VoltageShift app through Terminal but it showed errors about the OS not being compatible.
Hello - The UEFI variables listed here are not required for Undervolting. In my experience, the variables mentioned for BIOS-level undervolts in the linked thread do not actually result in an undervolt. It is better to use Throttlestop (Windows) and VoltageShift (macOS) to set the offsets on bootup - no UEFI variable modification required for undervolting purposes.

You'll need to compile VoltageShift using Xcode, not Terminal. The app and kext need to be signed by your Xcode installation to run exclusively on that machine. There are instructions in the forked copy of VoltageShift on how to do so.

Thank you for the good info. I do not have the 5W iGPU issue. Currently looking at 0.88W while typing this and the system just woke up from sleep.
Thank you. After some digging i find that i had enabled rps-control. This is what caused my iGPU to eat 5W. Now its around 0.7W after wake up. Still, after reboot it went down to 0W. Makes me wonder why iGPU stuck like this after wake up.

Hello - The UEFI variables listed here are not required for Undervolting. In my experience, the variables mentioned for BIOS-level undervolts in the linked thread do not actually result in an undervolt. It is better to use Throttlestop (Windows) and VoltageShift (macOS) to set the offsets on bootup - no UEFI variable modification required for undervolting purposes.

You'll need to compile VoltageShift using Xcode, not Terminal. The app and kext need to be signed by your Xcode installation to run exclusively on that machine. There are instructions in the forked copy of VoltageShift on how to do so.

I managed to compile the kext file and command line tool. When I ran it, the attached values are shown. Are those the default offset values or the ones I had set through BIOS?

Based on the Github guide, would this be the correct format to set undervolt values:

Code:
./voltageshift offset -100 -100 0 0 0 0 60

I don't quite understand what values I need to fill in. i have the same CPU as you do.

Attachments

• VoltageShift.jpg
    VoltageShift.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Back