Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd need to get some more information to go on in order to determine if the Broadcom driver can be modified to work with the DW1820A. Stacktraces, kernel error logs etc.
Hi. [14e4:43a3] works OOB on some laptop, but have little problems on other laptop.
This is due to AirPortBrcm4360 has change in El Capitan and the following macOS version. It introduce much PCI Configuration space operation. After two years reverse engineering, I found the key reason which cause DW1820A not works on some laptop: it's PCI mmio related.
The laptop which DW1820A not works, boot with bcom.panic.invalid-mmio-read=1 may generate a kernel panic.

Also, the following boot args in AirPortBrcm4360 you may interesting:
Code:
io80211.dbgmeminfo.traceflags=0xFFFFFFFF
io80211.dbgmeminfo.allocsize=0xFFFFFFFF
brcmfirewirelog=0xFFFFFFFF
bcom.pci-history-level=0xFFFFFFFF
bcom.pci-history-entries=0xFFFFFFFF
bcom.platform-check=0xFFFFFFFF
bcom.power-off-on-delayms=0xFFFFFFFF
bcom.panic.invalid-mmio-read=0xFFFFFFFF
bcom.bpt.check=0xFFFFFFFF
io80211.pcirecovery=0xFFFFFFFF
io80211.awdl=0xFFFFFFFF
bcom.fatal-error-recovery=0xFFFFFFFF
bcom.datapath-recovery=0xFFFFFFFF
bcom.logging=0xFFFFFFFF
bcom.rfldo_flags=0xFFFFFFFF
wl_msg_level=0xFFFFFFFF
wl_msg_level2=0xFFFFFFFF
io80211.linkdebug=0xFFFFFFFF
io80211.pullmode=0xFFFFFFFF
io80211.txsendqsize=0xFFFFFFFF

Ah, no. Swiping left/right in Chrome doesn't, unlike my MacBook. That said, until native multitouch is supported I'm sure you could implement a shortcut in VoodooPS2 Keyboard (or SizeUp, which is my preferred option).
Hello, did you have a MacBook Retina Model? I need dmesg output of this laptop to debug DW1820A wifi problem. If anybody who has a real MacBook Retina could provide the log, it will be appreciate.

Off topic, but the DW1820A (BCM4350) works on the XPS 15 (9560) with either AirPortBrcm4360 or AirPortBrcmNIC (not AirPortBrcmNIC-MFG - looks like a debug version). 80 MHz channels work properly with country code #a (set brcmfx-country=#a). Occasional "32KHz LPO Clock not running" panic occurs with AirPortBrcmNIC; it looks like this wasn't present in AirPortBrcm4360, so patching this out should be fine (E8 23 88 D4 FF → 90 90 90 90 90).

Edit: Rebooting from Linux (with the OSS kernel driver brcmfmac) causes WiFi to break in macOS (no networks are found; fixed by a cold boot). Perhaps this might be the same issue 9360 users are experiencing (but without a cold boot fix)?

Last edited:
Hello,

Meybe you can help me my install is stack. Attached are the debug.

I hed my install usb for 9550, i got a 9360 now.

Xps 13 i7-7660u
16gb
512 gb ssd
Qhd screen

Replaced clover and boot folder on my usb with darkviod folders.

Any ideas?

Edit: CC @the-darkvoid

Attachments

• 6079E96F-7534-428D-B303-52B5FD2F8067.jpeg
    6079E96F-7534-428D-B303-52B5FD2F8067.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 101
  • 87A83BDE-C983-475E-8ACC-D8A5F0D1B952.jpeg
    87A83BDE-C983-475E-8ACC-D8A5F0D1B952.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 95
  • B4126106-82C7-4414-B1CF-4657461E94CC.jpeg
    B4126106-82C7-4414-B1CF-4657461E94CC.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 84
  • EFI.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Hello,

I have a few questions after running into a few problems pre-installation.

First: Why does windows fail to boot when I enable AHCI? Is there a way around this besides switching from RAID every time I boot? I'd like to eventually dual boot Windows 10 and macOS.

Second: Should I use the-darkvoid's GitHub repo or should I compile my own CLOVER directory? The GitHub repo entices me because it works with the latest BIOS and macOS version. However, their is a lack of documentation on how to install the files onto a Clover bootloader. Do I just copy all the files over? Is there anything I need to configure?

Thanks in advance

Edit: CC @the-darkvoid

Hello,

I have a few questions after running into a few problems pre-installation.

First: Why does windows fail to boot when I enable AHCI? Is there a way around this besides switching from RAID every time I boot? I'd like to eventually dual boot Windows 10 and macOS.

Second: Should I use the-darkvoid's GitHub repo or should I compile my own CLOVER directory? The GitHub repo entices me because it works with the latest BIOS and macOS version. However, their (sic) is a lack of documentation on how to install the files onto a Clover bootloader. Do I just copy all the files over? Is there anything I need to configure?

I don't usually answer these ones, but seeing as I was going to post something on I2C anyway...

1) AHCI vs RAID: There's a whole raft of (GIYF) info out there why your Dell-default RAID installation will fail once you enable this simple option in the BIOS (fun fact: if you download Intel's Optane framework it also magically changes this back to RAID... who knew?). Simple answer - boot into safe mode and force Windows to download the AHCI drivers for you. Otherwise reinstall

2) @the-darkvoid : Speaking personally, Darkvoid has invested a lot of time to publish a very functional and useable github that requires just basic knowledge to put together. It depends on your level of macOS knowledge/free time/pain threshold whether you want to build everything yourself (and learn in the process) or use what time has already been invested elsewhere in putting together a ready-made system. Specifically on Clover, make sure you create a new EFI entry in BIOS, so the bootloader knows which .efi it needs to look at on POST. As to compiling, I personally like locally sourced ingredients (ie: building from first principles) but I would advise you to read all available changelogs as there will periodically be version changes that will affect the configuration or in some cases refuse to boot. Again, Darkvoid's clover builds would have been tested a priori...

Last edited:
Right, here's the question I wanted to ask in the first place...

Has anyone noticed that with alexandre's latest I2C commit, the touchpad reverts to default speed? Is there any way to manually change this - the touchpad prefpane seems to have no effect...

HI,

Thank you.

I have edited My profile and added my EFI/CLOVER folder to my post.

is that ok ? or i need to add more?

Tank you.

Your profile is missing important details. Please review the request in the FAQ carefully.
And, as per FAQ, Clover must be attached as ZIP, not RAR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back