Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, do you have the configuration of i7-7560U, Iris plus640, QHD (3200x1800)? I use https://github.com/the-darkvoid/XPS9360-macOS and my hibernatemode=0. @the-darkvoid
When my sleep wakes up, I sometimes get a black screen and have a back light, but I can see the desktop on my external display. I can only close the lid and open it to get into the desktop.

I know this is for the the 9360 but has it been tried on the 9365? I think the only major difference is a touchscreen, right? Will the touchscreen even work?
Also does anyone use this as a daily workhorse? I have another go to Macbook and I understand the whole daily driver and race/garage car routine.
Thanks

I know this is for the the 9360 but has it been tried on the 9365? I think the only major difference is a touchscreen, right? Will the touchscreen even work?
Also does anyone use this as a daily workhorse? I have another go to Macbook and I understand the whole daily driver and race/garage car routine.
Thanks
There has been a touchscreen for generations of this machine. And yes, it works. Use mine as a daily workhorse.

There has been a touchscreen for generations of this machine. And yes, it works. Use mine as a daily workhorse.

Confirmed. My QHD touchscreen looks and works great. My only issue, is that Apple isn't so big for touchscreen UI except on iOS devices. I asked what people were using their touchscreens for in a previous post but didn't see any replies...

Have been trying for the past few days to get video out from the USB-C port of my 9360 running High Sierra. Initially I was not able to get any video out - which was strange given DarkVoid appears to have no issues. As a result, I started with a fresh Clover folder from DarkVoid's depository and replaced the overlapping patched ACPI files he used with the ones I had created for my machine using Rehabman's laptop backlight guide.

When I connected my monitor to my XPS I know had a flickering image. Next I ordered from Amazon a number of USB-C video adapters and discovered that
1. The Dodocool adapter Darkvoid uses works without any issues at 4K
2. The Dell DA200 worked great without any drivers at 1920 x 1080
3. The Choetech power & USB-C to HDMI cable Bozma88 uses did not work for me as the monitor flickered and
4. The Techdoty cable also did not work

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Have been trying for the past few days to get video out from the USB-C port of my 9360 running High Sierra. Initially I was not able to get any video out - which was strange given DarkVoid appears to have no issues. As a result, I started with a fresh Clover folder from DarkVoid's depository and replaced the overlapping patched ACPI files he used with the ones I had created for my machine using Rehabman's laptop backlight guide.

When I connected my monitor to my XPS I know had a flickering image. Next I ordered from Amazon a number of USB-C video adapters and discovered that
1. The Dodocool adapter Darkvoid uses works without any issues at 4K
2. The Dell DA200 worked great without any drivers at 1920 x 1080
3. The Choetech power & USB-C to HDMI cable Bozma88 uses did not work for me as the monitor flickered and
4. The Techdoty cable also did not work

Hope this helps

Thank you for reporting this.
Just one note: the dodocool adapter is listed for 4k @30hz.
This means that it does not ask for a DP signal and maybe it just routes an HDMI1 signal (HDMI2 not supported by our laptop) to the monitor.
The Choetech I'm using asks for a DP signal and internally converts it to HDMI2 to output proper 4k@60hz signal.
Can you confirm this?

I'll tack on to this a bit, hopefully it will be helpful for another soul. I'm using the 9360 with 10.12.6 and wanted two monitor out ports. Using Darkvoid and Goodwin_Cs thunderbolt "activator" kext, when cold booting with the dock plugged in, I'm able to use a thunderbolt 3 port replicator ( Lenovo Thinkpad Thunderbolt 3 Dock - 40AC0135US). USB, Audio, and one HDMI out port work. Ethernet shows up but I haven't tried using it. In addition, I'm using a "DisplayLink" dock for a second monitor. Using a Lenovo ThinkPad USB 3.0 Docking Station (0A33970) with the display link driver works well enough for a second monitor output.

I'll tack on to this a bit, hopefully it will be helpful for another soul. I'm using the 9360 with 10.12.6 and wanted two monitor out ports. Using Darkvoid and Goodwin_Cs thunderbolt "activator" kext, when cold booting with the dock plugged in, I'm able to use a thunderbolt 3 port replicator ( Lenovo Thinkpad Thunderbolt 3 Dock - 40AC0135US). USB, Audio, and one HDMI out port work. Ethernet shows up but I haven't tried using it. In addition, I'm using a "DisplayLink" dock for a second monitor. Using a Lenovo ThinkPad USB 3.0 Docking Station (0A33970) with the display link driver works well enough for a second monitor output.

I think that a better method to drive two external monitors is via a displayport splitter, so that both operate natively.
An USB-C <> Displayport splitter should do the trick and would be hot-swappable since we are not using the TB lanes and asking for DP alternate mode instead (which is hot-pluggable in our build).

Last edited by a moderator:
When I updated to 10.13.4 using theDarkVoid's config, I lost hot-pluggable external monitor. If I have it plugged in while restarting it works, but no hotplug. What controls that and how do get that back?

I joined to post a warning. I edited an IFR variable related to graphics aperture size and completely bricked the laptop. None of the various recovery processes had any effect. My guess as to why it happened is that IFR variables between 2.5. and 2.6.2 bioses are not compatible, and I may have edited in a nonspecific way. I realized that I forgot to freshly extract the settings text after the bios update.

My suggestion is that if you've updated beyond 2.5, you should not look to previously discussed IFR variables and double check yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back