Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your latest commit, can't type any words when booting to the login screen, mouse works fine, keyboard does not.
boot with arguments" -v -x ", I can type the password and login in to the system, but an icon looks like sd-card appeared in the menu bar.

when restarting the system, keyboard doesn't work again.

I had these issues when first putting VoodooI2CHID in. I did remove VoodooPS2Mouse and VoodooPS2Trackpad from the PlugIns folder to VoodooPS2Controller. I believe that resolved it for me.

I solved the KP myself. I boot with an invalid id and then rebuild the kext cache.

But there is another problem:

- Occasionally SysPref -> Network shows WiFi but cannot turn it on. SysInfo shows WiFi as AirPort Extreme (which I think is correct).
- Most of the time, SysPref -> Network freezes and do not respond. In SysInfo, WiFi shows nothing (empty and blank)

Remark: I am unable to save anything, including IOReg and terminal output so I take pictures instead. Sorry for that.

--

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/broadcom-wifi-bluetooth-guide.242423/
Here stated that DW1820A is natively supported (WiFi) so I don't think there is a problem using this card.
I don't need Bluetooth so it is fine to not having it.

"Problem Reporting" files are incomplete.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

I had these issues when first putting VoodooI2CHID in. I did remove VoodooPS2Mouse and VoodooPS2Trackpad from the PlugIns folder to VoodooPS2Controller. I believe that resolved it for me.

Thanks for the tip of removing the plugins. I was hoping this would solve an issue I am having, but it hasn't. Using your repo, with VoodooI2C for trackpad usage, I cannot get the Sysprefs -> Accessability -> Mouse&Trackpad -> Trackpad Options to 'take hold'. Regardless of the chosen options for Scrolling or Enable dragging, the chosen behaviors do not activate. Particularly, I would like to have the 'with drag lock' work, but it does not. Any idea if VoodooI2C recognizes selections in this section of Sysprefs? If not, how can 'with drag lock' feature be activated? Thanks.

No worries - I figured there's no way to unpack/repack reliably the EXE file. The only sure way is for a full flash dump (with the ME reflash technique) then pack/mod/repack respectively. However I still need to hear from anyone who's successfully managed to perform a full flash and/or unlocked the flash descriptor. The WSON chip and security descriptors so far seem elusive. Any help here is much appreciated.

PFSExtractor should work: https://github.com/LongSoft/PFSExtractor
You may need to first extract the EXE though (using binwalk or something similar); then use PFSExtractor on the ~16 MB file that was extracted.

"Problem Reporting" files are incomplete.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.
I don't have access to the internet, gen_debug.sh requires internet connection.

- Patchmatic is already there (#2131)
- IOReg: I can't save it because IORegistryExplorer freezes when I click "save copy as", maybe I can do so by disabling WiFi card in BIOS but the IOReg result would be useless right?
- "Terminal output" attached already (#2131)
- Clover also attached already (#2131)
- Kextcache output attached (below)

Thanks in advance.
----
EDIT: I still uploaded IOReg for your reference (with disabled WiFi card in BIOS).

Attachments

• IMG_20180401_023154.jpg
    IMG_20180401_023154.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 89
  • IOReg.ioreg
    4.4 MB · Views: 148
Last edited:
PFSExtractor should work: https://github.com/LongSoft/PFSExtractor
You may need to first extract the EXE though (using binwalk or something similar); then use PFSExtractor on the ~16 MB file that was extracted.

Thanks. Yes I tried that long ago, the problem isn't with the extraction, or indeed the patching. PFSExtractor (and the latest PhoenixTool) are only good for extracting and re-patching the BIOS or ME, not the full flash. We need full *write* access to the 32MB chip, for which I have a patched file ready to be written. Any partial flashes and dell's verified boot kicks in (as I found out again yesterday), but thanks to the recovery technique we can re-flash most failed attempts.

Thanks for the tip of removing the plugins. I was hoping this would solve an issue I am having, but it hasn't. Using your repo, with VoodooI2C for trackpad usage, I cannot get the Sysprefs -> Accessability -> Mouse&Trackpad -> Trackpad Options to 'take hold'. Regardless of the chosen options for Scrolling or Enable dragging, the chosen behaviors do not activate. Particularly, I would like to have the 'with drag lock' work, but it does not. Any idea if VoodooI2C recognizes selections in this section of Sysprefs? If not, how can 'with drag lock' feature be activated? Thanks.

I don't believe VoodooI2CHID is feature complete. If you prefer the existing PS2 approach, put the PS2 PlugIns back into VoodooPS2Controller and remove VoodooI2CHID. No DSDT changes required, a kext swap is enough.

I solved the KP myself. I boot with an invalid id and then rebuild the kext cache.

But there is another problem:

- Occasionally SysPref -> Network shows WiFi but cannot turn it on. SysInfo shows WiFi as AirPort Extreme (which I think is correct).
- Most of the time, SysPref -> Network freezes and do not respond. In SysInfo, WiFi shows nothing (empty and blank)

Remark: I am unable to save anything, including IOReg and terminal output so I take pictures instead. Sorry for that.

--

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/broadcom-wifi-bluetooth-guide.242423/
Here stated that DW1820A is natively supported (WiFi) so I don't think there is a problem using this card.
I don't need Bluetooth so it is fine to not having it.
I don't have access to the internet, gen_debug.sh requires internet connection.

- Patchmatic is already there (#2131)
- IOReg: I can't save it because IORegistryExplorer freezes when I click "save copy as", maybe I can do so by disabling WiFi card in BIOS but the IOReg result would be useless right?
- "Terminal output" attached already (#2131)
- Clover also attached already (#2131)
- Kextcache output attached (below)

Thanks in advance.
----
EDIT: I still uploaded IOReg for your reference (with disabled WiFi card in BIOS).

I don't think your config.plist matches your ACPI/patched content...
Just as one example, you have ACPI/patched/SSDT-XOSI.aml, but the _OSI->XOSI patch is disabled.
I don't think you're using the intended config.plist at all.

I don't believe VoodooI2CHID is feature complete. If you prefer the existing PS2 approach, put the PS2 PlugIns back into VoodooPS2Controller and remove VoodooI2CHID. No DSDT changes required, a kext swap is enough.

Thanks. That’s just what I did. I’ll wait for VoodooI2C to develop further. Thanks for all you have done to help!

I don't think your config.plist matches your ACPI/patched content...
Just as one example, you have ACPI/patched/SSDT-XOSI.aml, but the _OSI->XOSI patch is disabled.
I don't think you're using the intended config.plist at all.
Oh I forgot to apply darkvoid's config.plist after I applied the SSDT patch, fixed now.

However the WiFi problem still exists, same problem: SysPref=>Network freezes. Did not apply BrcmPatchRAM2 (as it will cause infinite loop of "not responding" as in #2105) and BrcmFirmwareRepo

Attached Clover.zip, IOReg.zip(with BIOS-disabled WiFi card) and patchmatic, please help! Thanks!

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 81
  • patchmatic.zip
    63 KB · Views: 78
  • IOReg.zip
    588 KB · Views: 64
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back