Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bad; I didn't take a look before commenting.

This firmware is based on Phoenix UEFI core wrapped with proprietary Dell wrapper. Insyde tools aren't applicable on it.

No worries - I figured there's no way to unpack/repack reliably the EXE file. The only sure way is for a full flash dump (with the ME reflash technique) then pack/mod/repack respectively. However I still need to hear from anyone who's successfully managed to perform a full flash and/or unlocked the flash descriptor. The WSON chip and security descriptors so far seem elusive. Any help here is much appreciated.

If I wanted to revert back to Windows is it worth putting the old wireless card back in? I don't know how they compare with each other and I'd rather not have to open my laptop again if I don't have to.

Good news: Got Sierra installed!

Bad news: Running Multibeast somehow disabled Wifi, keyboard, and trackpad. The install_tools.sh script obviously doesn't work without internet. Any recs on restoring the useful peripherals?

I’ll upload some files later tonight.

Attachments

• config.plist
    9.8 KB · Views: 212
  • Clover_Install_Log.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 128
  • CLOVER.zip
    5 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Good news: Got Sierra installed!

Bad news: Running Multibeast somehow disabled Wifi, keyboard, and trackpad. The install_tools.sh script obviously doesn't work without internet. Any recs on restoring the useful peripherals?

I’ll upload some files later tonight.

Why are you using Multibeast?
Nothing in post #1 suggests Multibeast use.

Why are you using Multibeast?
Nothing in post #1 suggests Multibeast use.

I thought multibeast would be an easy streamlined post-install step to get MacOS to boot from the HDD instead of the USB. While multibeast isn't explicitly stated as a step, it seemed like a pretty common thing to do. The suggested links as part of the background research made seem like a sensible thing to do. Either that, Pandora (which is more than just post-install, I realize) or do it by hand. I guess the latter is the best option.

Otherwise, the system seems pretty stable.

Is there an obvious fix without reinstalling? I don’t mind reinstalling but I’d rather not.
No, Just do the reinstall and follow the guide for smooth and reliably working hackbook. :) You’ll waste more time trying to troubleshoot then just installing. Use kext utility to install the ones needed in SLE

Reinstalled relatively painlessly. I can restart without the USB stick and both the keyboard and trackpad are working. I didn’t do anything regarding post installation. It seems like everything is working except for WiFi, oddly enough. I replaced the killer WiFi with the recommended card but alas. It was working on windows, so it isn’t hardware (probably). I’ll do some research, but if anyone thinks there’s something obvious I’m missing, please let me know!

Thanks for the guide and the help!

Edit: got WiFi working. Didn’t have the kext loaded for some weird reason. Oops!

Last edited:
Use BCM943252Z instead.
I solved the KP myself. I boot with an invalid id and then rebuild the kext cache.

But there is another problem:

- Occasionally SysPref -> Network shows WiFi but cannot turn it on. SysInfo shows WiFi as AirPort Extreme (which I think is correct).
- Most of the time, SysPref -> Network freezes and do not respond. In SysInfo, WiFi shows nothing (empty and blank)

Remark: I am unable to save anything, including IOReg and terminal output so I take pictures instead. Sorry for that.

--

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/broadcom-wifi-bluetooth-guide.242423/
Here stated that DW1820A is natively supported (WiFi) so I don't think there is a problem using this card.
I don't need Bluetooth so it is fine to not having it.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 64
  • patchmatic.zip
    62.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20180331_121106.jpg
    IMG_20180331_121106.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 126
  • IMG_20180331_123238.jpg
    IMG_20180331_123238.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 112
Status