Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you mean HD620?
I will try the 0002 and report back.

Remember: we are spoofing Skylake (for now). Read post #1.

To be honest I am still very cautious when linking to InsanelyMac from TMX. Is it allowed now? I'm fully aware of the source of this but I wasn't willing to take the risk of a ban or thread delete. Thank you.

To be honest I am still very cautious when linking to InsanelyMac from TMX. Is it allowed now? I'm fully aware of the source of this but I wasn't willing to take the risk of a ban or thread delete. Thank you.

It is allowed (as long as it doesn't refer to something which encourages piracy).

But the opposite is different... you'll get your post edited or deleted on IM if you link to TMX...

Well I'm done playing around with my 9360, for now. I got the shipping box from Dell today and I'm shipping mine out to get fixed with the new updated motherboard, that supposedly takes care of the coil whine. Here's hoping the same install works on the new board and bios is the same. Guess I'm taking a slight risk here. Bleeding edge baby! Woohoo! ;):p I'll update you guys in about 4-5 days on how the new MB works out with the install.

Last edited:
Well I'm done playing around with my 9360, for now. I got the shipping box from Dell today and I'm shipping mine out to get fixed with the new updated motherboard, that supposedly takes care of the coil whine. Here's hoping the same install works on the new board and bios is the same. Guess I'm taking a slight risk here. Bleeding edge baby! Woohoo! ;):p I'll update you guys in about 4-5 days on how the new MB works out with the install.

Is the replacement free and covered under the warranty?

Is the replacement free and covered under the warranty?
Yes, it should be for anyone's that is under warranty. I purchased mine as a refurb through a reseller and had pro support included. So not sure if that would make any difference. But if you call or chat with there support I would just mention that you are hearing high pitched noises. Maybe even mention that "a friend of mine had the same problem and they swapped his motherboard recently with the new updated version and it fixed the problem." But before you do any of that maybe it might be best to hold off until we see how mine turns out and if there are any complications with the install of MacOS. I'll report back to let you know.

Last edited:
Yeah good point, thanks. I'm thinking whether those of us under warranty should opt for a m/b replacement. Would be good to hear your thoughts once you get it running.

I managed to upgrade bios today to 1.3.2 and set DVMT to 96M. I don't really notice any difference so far. Everything works as before. I had the apple logo and the progress bar magnifing/zooming in during boot, and I thought this will be fixed, but it is due to the resolution change I guess.

Anyways, no freezing, everything works well I guess. No issues. The only problem I have is that I cannot install the updates to 12.3. I downloaded the combo and tried to install it manually, it asks me to restart and then it shows shortly the progress bar and then black screen and reboot, and I'm still on 12.2.

I attach my boot.log if someone can enlighten me how to fix this.

Attachments

• bootlog.log.txt
    35.5 KB · Views: 136
The only problem I have is that I cannot install the updates to 12.3.

Just a guess... you're probably using a long SMBIOS identifier and it is being truncated. Check your ioreg.

Just a guess... you're probably using a long SMBIOS identifier and it is being truncated. Check your ioreg.

Indeed, I have MacBookPro13,2 in SMBIOS and it is truncated as MacBookPro1. What would be then most appropriate and functional?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back