Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the issues with iTunes fixed by adding the shiki kext.
However, I am still having issue with the battery status in the status bar. Sometimes it updates properly, sometimes it does not (to update i just have to turn on/off the show %).
The battery life is also still pretty bad. I get 3 hours at most. I did the kernel change to underclock the cpu so I get a bit better than before but I see that some people are getting 6 hours or more with the QHD.

Any idea what could be my issues?

Thanks

Problems:
- no kextcache output provided. Please provide output of 'sudo kextcache -i /'
- CPU PM not implemented
- NVMe+APFS is a bad idea. install on HFS+J instead.

TRIM is automatically enabled with NVMe.
And TRIM+APFS+non-Apple hardware is known to cause delays at boot that cause several problems, including the one you mention regarding battery status.

It is documented here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/readme-common-problems-in-10-13-high-sierra.233582/
BIOS v2.5.0 has been removed from Dell's website.

UPDATE: Yes it's due to some side-effects:
http://www.dell.com/support/content...nd-downloads/support-for-meltdown-and-spectre

That's weird. For me the new 2.5.0 bios actually improves things and APFS works great for OS X. With my XPS 9360 (Coffee Lake i7 8550), on the windows side I was having windows kernel power (41) crashes every few hours, with blank event detail bug parameters (meaning windows had no idea why); upgrading from 2.3.1 to 2.5.0 seems to have resolved that issue. Also after upgrading the bios to 2.5.0, I've successfully booted into my up-to-date install of High Sierra OS X (which I created while still using Dell bios 2.3.1).

I do realize I'd do well to update the bios files in the clover "original" folder in the very near future, but I booted OS X without updating them in my haste to see whether OS X still booted happily under 2.5.0 and showed graphics worked properly. I do NOT have the QHD screen. After I did the 2.5.0 bios upgrade, I also did NOT re-apply the set_value video memory/MSR edits which I had done under 2.3.1 prior to the initial install. Of course, the battery status issue still remains. As a further data point, my install is with APFS on a dual-partitioned 500GB Samsung PM961 NVMe drive. No delay-at-boot problems. (yet!)

Last edited:
Regarding the bluetooth after wake, just a thought. I'm not that familiar with how this would actually be implemented, but, shouldn't there be a way to write a script which can roll back the corrupted config file and then stop and restart the blueooth services, similar to what happens in a restart, without restarting the whole machine? I feel like this could be a very easy fix for someone familiar with mac hardware and services to throw together to make a workaround for this problem

That's weird. For me the new 2.5.0 bios actually improves things and APFS works great for OS X. With my XPS 9360 (Coffee Lake i7 8550), on the windows side I was having windows kernel power (41) crashes every few hours, with blank event detail bug parameters (meaning windows had no idea why); upgrading from 2.3.1 to 2.5.0 seems to have resolved that issue. Also after upgrading the bios to 2.5.0, I've successfully booted into my up-to-date install of High Sierra OS X (which I created while still using Dell bios 2.3.1).

I do realize I'd do well to update the bios files in the clover "original" folder in the very near future, but I booted OS X without updating them in my haste to see whether OS X still booted happily under 2.5.0 and showed graphics worked properly. I do NOT have the QHD screen. After I did the 2.5.0 bios upgrade, I also did NOT re-apply the set_value video memory/MSR edits which I had done under 2.3.1 prior to the initial install. Of course, the battery status issue still remains. As a further data point, my install is with APFS on a dual-partitioned 500GB Samsung PM961 NVMe drive. No delay-at-boot problems. (yet!)

Those fixes occurred with bios 2.4.2, and further reinforces the notion that the majority of fixes in that release were geared towards Coffee Lake. Could you check to see if setting DVMT parameters still works under 2.5.0 (ie set 0x785 to a safe higher number such as 0x05 or 0x06 and see if the settings persist on reboot)?

IMPORTANT

If you install the latest 10.12.6 security update (Jan 23), you NEED to update Lilu.kext and intelGraphicsFixup.kext to the latest versions, PRIOR to updating, otherwise you'll get KP at boot.

Interestingly, after this update I got my highest Geekbench score ever.

Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 00.50.42.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back