Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9350 macOS 10.12.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unrelated to backlight controls...
But also typical.
Macs do not have such keys. Best to turn on/off WiFi with the system menu bar provided by Apple.

It looks like on OSX the switch turns off wifi at the hardware/bios level.

When i rebooted into windows, the laptop would just crash at startup. I almost thought I had to reinstall or remove the wifi card. Disabling and re-enabling wifi at the bios appeased Windows and it finally booted.

We should just disable the switch at bios. And map the key to some wifi-up-down script.

It looks like on OSX the switch turns off wifi at the hardware/bios level.

It is done by the driver. Nothing to do with BIOS.

When i rebooted into windows, the laptop would just crash at startup.

Sounds like a BIOS bug or Windows driver bug. Make sure you have the latest.

We should just disable the switch at bios. And map the key to some wifi-up-down script.

It might be possible with the right ACPI patches and software to bind the key to a script.

Since after 370 downloads I can see only few complaints about the dw1560. I need help from owners of laptops with these adapters to rectify the config to suit everyone. Once again the attached folder do NOT pretend to be your final setup even if I'm using it as a daily driver now. You certainly need DSDT/SSDT patching and maybe some SLE-installed kexts. However it is intended to grow a wider community of macOS users of 9350 to lead the R&D process. If users aren't using the OS, we aren't able to fix bugs either. If users aren't able to install the OS, they surely can't report bugs. So I call for your help at least with a feedback to know if the choosen approach was right or wrong.

If You DO have installed sucessfully macOS and it's up and running without any troubles, You can simply valuate the post with it so I can track the percentage of successfull installs. I'm not the topic starter and I'm not able to modify the first post or set up a poll etc. So I see this as simple and quick solution. For now.

If You DON'T have installed macOS, got troubles during install or they are any troubles after install please report about it.

I was using macOS on real hardware (MD388) for about four years and now switched to this laptop. Windows is already quite stable for daily driver use, but our hardware is still way ahead of it. Same thing with multimedia software. So I'm really interessed in getting this machine running macOS as native ones do. But I'm a photographer and not a developer. We do have developers in the thread, but they can't fix bugs if they do not know about them. Please be a little bit more informative. Thank You and sorry for my English:angel:

Under windows I'm getting 1,3 Gbps or 867Mbps with Linksys EA8500 depending the room. It's up to you to choose, my choice was made in favour of linux and windows compatibility. Also keep in mind that it simply works without any patches or kexts. They're "cosmetical" fixes to unleash the full capabilities of the adapter. And nobody prohibits you to install the third antenna;)

You must be interested in the SD card reader too, which is a very fast card reader, any thought on that?

Also I noticed that the maximum brightness on macOS is much lower than that in Windows, I think only 60%

It is done by the driver. Nothing to do with BIOS.

I did the "switching off" at OSX. Like you said, macs do not handle such keys.

The bios settings does say "on Windows 8, the OS driver directly handles the switch keys", and disabling the switch won't have any effect.

I did the "switching off" at OSX.

Yes. Therefore BIOS is not involved.

The bios settings does say "on Windows 8, the OS driver directly handles the switch keys", and disabling the switch won't have any effect.

Likely new standard ACPI protocol introduced in Win8 and later.
The new protocol is not likely to be supported by OS X/macOS.

I think it's possible to buy another antenna, in fact you can buy small antennas for laptop on eBay, there are many cheap options, the problem is where to place the third antenna, metal on the bottom is not going to help.

Generally, laptop radio antennas are installed into and around the screen bezel.

Yes, actually it can be found here in step 19: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Dell+XPS+13+Teardown/36157
But I do not want to take my machine apart so I think I will put the antenna somewhere else.

I've done some research in this area (a couple of years ago I had an ASUS Zenbook). Note that the Dell XPS 13 antennas--at least models from the last few years I checked (like many other laptop antennas) are not just simple micro-coaxial cables. If you look at the high-res image: https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/njjHRUxn5m6pjiau you can tell that cables are also soldered to metal assemblies that are specially designed to optimize performance (though from what I've ready about the XPS that doesn't ring true, but it may be just the specific card :)). Then again, probably having a third antenna of any sort may help. I'm waiting for my DW1830 but probably won't have time to add a third antenna and test until after the New Year. I may even try to shoe-horn one of these in: http://www.ebay.com/itm/8XY6K-NEW-G...884158?hash=item2376bbf27e:g:s34AAOSwB09YJ649 :lol:. At the end of the day, I may just live with the two antennas.

IMPORTANT: If you route your antenna wire outside of the laptop, take the time to make it look OEM and integrated. I can personally attest that TSA WILL stop you and question you about your laptop, have you turn it on, etc., if your wires are simply taped on haphazardly. How do I personally know? I had an ASUS Zenbook a couple of years ago where I replaced the internal card and added an antenna, there not being ANY room inside this thing I ran the cable out of one of the ventilation ports and just used Scotch tape to temporarily secure it until I could find a better place for it. TBH, with the Zenbook being so elegant but the cable looking so out of place, the thing did look like a home-made explosive device. Going through TSA between LA and San Jose the agent pulled me aside, did the whole 9-yards of swiping the laptop, made me turn it on (they didn't know enough to ask me why it was running OS X :twisted:), and even took a picture of it. Good thing I was at the airport an hour early for the flight.

I can't find a picture of it, but if I do I'll post it. Good for a laugh now, but back then I was freaked out...

I need help, So I ordered a new wifi card and it detects wifi, but the problem is that it doesnt connect to any protected network (keep giving me an option to run diagnostic but nothing happen when I click it), only open public network. Help!

I need help, So I ordered a new wifi card and it detects wifi, but the problem is that it doesnt connect to any protected network (keep giving me an option to run diagnostic but nothing happen when I click it), only open public network. Help!

Attach ioreg as ZIP: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html. Please, use the IORegistryExplorer v2.1 attached to the post! DO NOT reply with an ioreg from any other version of IORegistryExplorer.app.

Provide output (in Terminal):
Code:
kextstat|grep -y acpiplat
kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu
kextstat|grep -y applelpc
kextstat|grep -y applehda

Attach EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (press F4 at main Clover screen before collecting). Please eliminate 'themes' directory. Provide only EFI/Clover, not the entire EFI folder.

Attach output of (in Terminal):
Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

Compress all files as ZIP. Do not use external links. Attach all files using site attachments only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back