Contribute
Register

[Guide] Booting The USB Installer Using OpenCore

yes, I followed post 2 for Kaby Lake-R , did I make a mistake?

yes, I followed post 2 for Kaby Lake-R , did I make a mistake?
nope, sorry, my tired eyes! :) your ig-platform is fine

just need to change your model section

and one question: This thread is now on Big Sur, but I have the Catalina installer in the USB. Is that ok?

and one question: This thread is now on Big Sur, but I have the Catalina installer in the USB. Is that ok?
yeah that is fine

was hoping that big sur recovery option would be available by now

ok, I'll try now if it works after having changed the model section

Stops at exact same place

Attachments

• 0223DCA2-3CA8-47F7-80DF-17FD71D83072.jpeg
    0223DCA2-3CA8-47F7-80DF-17FD71D83072.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 51
yeah that is fine

was hoping that big sur recovery option would be available by now
Yeah, sadly, I don't know if that option will ever be available, just because Big Sur uses a different way for installing macOS with the recovery :(. I think the only viable solution is to just download Catalina and upgrade to Big Sur after the Catalina install is complete.

Yeah, sadly, I don't know if that option will ever be available, just because Big Sur uses a different way for installing macOS with the recovery :(. I think the only viable solution is to just download Catalina and upgrade to Big Sur after the Catalina install is complete.

yes, in any case, for now I think Catalina will be good for my Laptop, IF I manage to finally make the install work(you can see in my previous message that I am stuck in same screen all the time)

One question, what is the importance about using the "Recovery" install? I see in the instructions of the post 1 that it is done from Windows, and downloading the "Recovery" install, however, because I downloaded from my osx desktop computer, I used the: "If using a mac to create your installer, a nice video can be found here..." part. In that video, the full Catalina install is downloaded, not the recovery. So in my USB I have the full Catalina install of 8.25 GB

yes, in any case, for now I think Catalina will be good for my Laptop, IF I manage to finally make the install work(you can see in my previous message that I am stuck in same screen all the time)

One question, what is the importance about using the "Recovery" install? I see in the instructions of the post 1 that it is done from Windows, and downloading the "Recovery" install, however, because I downloaded from my osx desktop computer, I used the: "If using a mac to create your installer, a nice video can be found here..." part. In that video, the full Catalina install is downloaded, not the recovery. So in my USB I have the full Catalina install of 8.25 GB
The recovery basically downloads this small installer file (to boot into the installer), but not the entire operating system. As such, the recovery installer downloads the operating system as you install it (meaning it requires internet access when the installer is running).

The full installer downloads the entire operating system, and when you use the installer, it just installs that operating system that was downloaded onto the drive.

To sum it up, the recovery downloads and installs as the installer is running (so internet is needed), and the full installer just downloads the full operating system and installs it onto the drive (no internet is needed). It shouldn't make a difference whether or not you use the recovery.

The recovery basically downloads this small installer file (to boot into the installer), but not the entire operating system. As such, the recovery installer downloads the operating system as you install it (meaning it requires internet access when the installer is running).

The full installer downloads the entire operating system, and when you use the installer, it just installs that operating system that was downloaded onto the drive.

To sum it up, the recovery downloads and installs as the installer is running (so internet is needed), and the full installer just downloads the full operating system and installs it onto the drive (no internet is needed). It shouldn't make a difference whether or not you use the recovery.

Thank you for the explanation, so now I have confirmed that having the recovery install as opposed to the full installer(like I do) is not a deal breaker.

But my problem(being stuck always on same screen as shared in all my previous messages) has not improved a single bit. Any idea what my next step to try to fix it could be?

Thanks!

Back