Contribute
Register

[Guide] Booting The USB Installer Using OpenCore

There is something very strange going on here with my system. I created the bootable USB on a different disk which i know is good but smaller, 8Gb. All seem to be normal with the createbootable bat file routine but while attempting to boot, I recieved a message OC: failed to load configuration. Possibly the configuration file that wasnt loaded was the laptop boot files for windows, not sure but the USB disk did attempt a boot without going to the next boot device set in bios as it has been doing so I think this is the opencore files that did not load. In that case, this is at least some progress over previous no boot issues. I attempted to run the make install bat again and it failed see picture. Then noticed that the USB would continue to blink as if it was being accessed and it never quit as long as it was inserted. Pictures attached:
-picture 1 showing normal creation of the makebootable install disk routine
-pictrue 2 showing failure of DISKPART following the no boot of the above disk
-picture 3 showing the presence of two identical USB disks under "files on this PC

Inserting and removing the USB drive returns the same issue. Inserting a different USB returns the same continuous access issue nothing running in the background that I can see but normal windows files. Obviously, something is attempting to access the drive. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 1 toshiba USB.PNG
    1 toshiba USB.PNG
    23.5 KB · Views: 254
  • 2 failure creating installbat.PNG
    2 failure creating installbat.PNG
    34 KB · Views: 247
  • 3 double usb drives.PNG
    3 double usb drives.PNG
    20.6 KB · Views: 242
Maybe the booth loader is actually working despite all the apparent anomalies.

I have an error during the boot to the mac loader stating OC: Invalid Vault Mode: Optimmal. Thats seems strange since I did not even reach the boot menu that was supposed to be presented but this indeed appears to be a valid OS load issue. There are no other options for the vault setting but Optimal. Any suggestions.

Maybe the booth loader is actually working despite all the apparent anomalies.

I have an error during the boot to the mac loader stating OC: Invalid Vault Mode: Optimmal. Thats seems strange since I did not even reach the boot menu that was supposed to be presented but this indeed appears to be a valid OS load issue. There are no other options for the vault setting but Optimal. Any suggestions.
"Optional" is what it should say in your config.plist

Good catch I just discovered that as well.

Thanks for your input. I can boot consistently into the clover boot loader IF I do not choose the boot option inside of Makeinstall bat of OC 1o where 1 is the usb. Default is clover and I have discovered that even if I choose to only create the boot manager in the first partition that is also reliable. Only when I select the "o" option for open core do i have issues which is what I have been doing from the beginning.

If I were to boot in the clover option using the Makeinstaller bat would I still follow the same procedure where would I include the dmg or the package file for the MAC os? If I don't select OC for the USB presp the EFI folder creation isn't included right?

Good catch I just discovered that as well.

Thanks for your input. I can boot consistently into the clover boot loader IF I do not choose the boot option inside of Makeinstall bat of OC 1o where 1 is the usb. Default is clover and I have discovered that even if I choose to only create the boot manager in the first partition that is also reliable. Only when I select the "o" option for open core do i have issues which is what I have been doing from the beginning.

If I were to boot in the clover option using the Makeinstaller bat would I still follow the same procedure where would I include the dmg or the package file for the MAC os? If I don't select OC for the USB presp the EFI folder creation isn't included right?
no idea, this guide is for OpenCore, i have given up on clover

I have an Asrock z270 with an i5-7600, Radeon RX560. Since it is quite different from your config, I followed the OpenCore vanilla guide. I booted with the USB, and some text flashed by, then the numeric OpenCore menu came up: *1. EFI, 2. TIME Mc, 3. macOS, 4. Recovery 10.15.7, 5. OpenShell.efi, 6.Reset NVRAM.
When I choose 3. which is Catalina 10.15.7, or if I let it default to 1, the Clover boot menu comes up, but if I choose macOS I just get the Apple icon and nothing else.
I have read guides saying we can test the USB like this, but why does it bring up the Clover boot menu?

I have an Asrock z270 with an i5-7600, Radeon RX560. Since it is quite different from your config, I followed the OpenCore vanilla guide. I booted with the USB, and some text flashed by, then the numeric OpenCore menu came up: *1. EFI, 2. TIME Mc, 3. macOS, 4. Recovery 10.15.7, 5. OpenShell.efi, 6.Reset NVRAM.
When I choose 3. which is Catalina 10.15.7, or if I let it default to 1, the Clover boot menu comes up, but if I choose macOS I just get the Apple icon and nothing else.
I have read guides saying we can test the USB like this, but why does it bring up the Clover boot menu?
interesting indeed, like to see your config.plist..

no idea, this guide is for OpenCore, i have given up on clover
If I post the config.plist I have pruned to the Kaby Lake board I have in the laptop for you to take a look at to see if you can see any glaring oversights on my part. I see several double entries and unsure how this may have occurred and how to edit them out or if I should using Proper tree. Would appreciate your review.

interesting indeed, like to see your config.plist..
Hi and thank you. My EFI is attached along with a series of txt files I found in the EFI partition of the installer USB, apparently the install logs from four attempts at testing the installer EFT. There are a lot of "success" until it gets close the end. I don't pretend to understand, but I do see a lot of entries about "blessed files" missing, and mentions of Microsft boot files. That is strange because I did have a Windows system on a separate drive, dual boot, which was deleted. Also, in updating macOS to 10.15.7 I had one failure where it said it could not proceed because the blessing was missing. I hope you can make some sense of that. I get the feeling my system drives have some overhanging problems from dual booting. I did erase the current system system drive before it was installed.

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Back