Contribute
Register

[Guide] Asus P8Z68-VPro with SpeedStep, Turbo & Sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using PCIRootUID=1 will always result in a kernel panic related to VoodooHDA that is on iBoot 3.1.0.

So I have been trying to replicate this process but using the 10.6.8 update, heres what I have done so far.

Installed retail 6.3
Combo Update 6.8
Multibeast 3.7.3 (easybeast, Intel Lan, ATi Injector, system utilities, no bootloader as I have that installed already on another drive).
Netkas exotic patch for 6.8

Machine boots fine at this stage with full qe/ci.

Following the first post, as the 6.8 files are already installed with 6.8 mach_kernel I don't need to extract or install them.

Speedstepper patched

Jun 26 07:21:58 SoundFus-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(16)
Jun 26 07:21:58 SoundFus-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 32
Jun 26 07:21:59 SoundFus-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(16)
Jun 26 07:21:59 SoundFus-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 32

After removing NUllCpuPowermanagement.kext:

Jun 26 07:38:09 SoundFus-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(16)
Jun 26 07:38:09 SoundFus-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 28 29 30 42
Jun 26 07:38:09 SoundFus-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(16)
Jun 26 07:38:09 SoundFus-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 28 29 30 42

Note SLEEP now works but monitor does not emerge from power saving mode although I can hear the machine resume from sleep on mouse click or power button.

Also is it normal for Cinebench to say 2 cores instead of 4?
Geek bench shows 4 cores.
GeekBench score: 11199

Attachments

• 1068_speedstep_remo.JPG
    1068_speedstep_remo.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 436
Here's what I did:

• I used Andy's boot disc for the P8P67 board.[/*:m:2y79y18u]
  • Installed Snow Leopard 10.6.0 (I don't own a 10.6.3 disc)[/*:m:2y79y18u]
  • Rebooted and used the boot disc again.[/*:m:2y79y18u]
  • The first thing I did was copy over the 10.6.7 combo update from another drive and install it.[/*:m:2y79y18u]
  • Once it completed successfully I did not reboot. Instead I installed a bootloader, copied over the 10.7.4 kernel, copied over NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, and copied over FakeSMC.kext. Then I rebooted.[/*:m:2y79y18u]
  • I copied over the 10.6.8 combo update and installed that. I did not reboot when it finished.[/*:m:2y79y18u]
  • I copied over the iMac12_2 plist.[/*:m:2y79y18u]
  • I ran speedstepper.[/*:m:2y79y18u]
  • I removed NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and rebuilt my caches.[/*:m:2y79y18u]
  • Done.[/*:m:2y79y18u]

Since I went to 10.6.8, you do not need to edit AppleLPC.kext or replace the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kexts and the IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext.

The only things that do not work for me is audio and my video cards.

I tried copying over my previous DSDT that enables audio and video, but then it interferes with speed stepping. I tested sleep out once when I had the DSDT loaded and it was not successful, but it might work without a DSDT.

I may have to resort to EFI injection for audio and video.

Thanks for your guide but if I could get just a bit of help with step 8. The system does indeed crash halfway thru the 10.6.8 combo update as I have no idea where to find IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins . Could you please provide additional information to the step below?

Is this on my install disk (10.6.3)? If so how do I go about removing it ?

Thank You!

8. To prevent Kernel Panics when updating to Mac OS X 10.6.8:
a. Remove the ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext file from
IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins
b. In Terminal, type: sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
c. Rebuild kext cache using MultiBeast > System Utilities or Kext Wizard

TooSixy said:
Wingfat said:
Thanks for your guide but if I could get just a bit of help with step 8. The system does indeed crash halfway thru the 10.6.8 combo update as I have no idea where to find IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins . Could you please provide additional information to the step below?

Is this on my install disk (10.6.3)? If so how do I go about removing it ?

Thank You!

8. To prevent Kernel Panics when updating to Mac OS X 10.6.8:
a. Remove the ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext file from
IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins
b. In Terminal, type: sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
c. Rebuild kext cache using MultiBeast > System Utilities or Kext Wizard
I think you were using my guide, but that's OK. Go to /System/Library/Extensions folder and you'll find IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext file. Right click on the IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext, select Show Package Contents, then click on Contents folder, then Plugins, and you'll see ACPI...

Since you're not familiar with this, I suggest that you make a copy of that file and put it somewhere on your desktop before deleting it.

Ah ha! The old right click.. I feel like a jerk... Thank You so much!
WF

Finally, got the wake from sleep to work. I need to disable the "Internal PLL Overvoltage" in UEFI BIOS for this to work. But when it wakes up, it take sometime for the keyboard/mouse to be usable .. and LAN is not working.

I'm at 10.6.8 with things running nicely, but I want to install Speedstepper. Do I need LSPCI tools? If so, I cannot figure out how to install it. Could someone help me?

Also, is it possible to get USB3 to work? It shows in System Profiler.

Finally, dos Please Sleep work with the P8Z68? Any cautions?

Thanks to all. Us ASUS guys need to stick together.

wiraone said:
Finally, got the wake from sleep to work. I need to disable the "Internal PLL Overvoltage" in UEFI BIOS for this to work. But when it wakes up, it take sometime for the keyboard/mouse to be usable .. and LAN is not working.

Already explained: install last Intel ethernet kext from hnak, not the one in multibeast (too old). It solves the ethernet problem for 82579 chip and the timeout that delayed the USB wake.

Hi :)
I need to install Lion on my P8Z68-V PRO and I'd like a fresh installation.
I read tonymac's guide for Lion so, now I have a question: I have to do all the mods described in this thread or I could skip them and do just the mods listed in the TM's guide at step 5?
My CPU is i3-2100, which settings I have to set for that installation process?

Thank you :)

nmaia said:
Hi all.

My rig:
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
i7-2600K - Stock Cooler
G.SKILL KIT 8GB 2X4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Sniper PC12800
ATI 5770 (PowerColor)
1Tb WD Blue
Mac OS X 10.6.7

I've installed Mac OS using iBoot + Multibeast and "everything" seems to work ok.
Had to install the bluetooth but I don't use it so I don't know for sure.
Its stable :)

Last night I tried to follow this guide and accomplished it in a partial manner.

SpeedStep and Turbo (I guess) works, I can see the different states and my results were:
Geekbench (32bit) = 12290
CineBench CPU = 7.42

I don't remember for sure the settings for the EFI/BIOS Turbo Ratio, but I think it was 42/41/40/39
Have to search for a good CPU Cooler because running CineBench the CPU temp was hitting the 78º (celcius). Any suggestions on that?

The problem now is Sleep.

When I try to put it in Sleep everything goes to "sleep" like they should but then after 1 or 2 seconds it wakes by itself.
Does anyone experienced this or knows where/what should I look for to fix this?

Thanks all for the good work and for share all these great info.

Nuno Maia.

You said that you had to install bluetooth can you explain your process for that, greatly appreciated thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back