Contribute
Register

[Guide] Airport - PCIe Half Mini v2

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^ Thanks for the reply. I previously have had Yosemite installed. However, the screen looks very dim and no wifi or Bluetooth. I keep reading about the HD4000 onboard video needing some kind of injection to make it work. Is this injection on to the config file? Can you provide a link to the file I need for this injection please?

^^ Thanks for the reply. I previously have had Yosemite installed. However, the screen looks very dim and no wifi or Bluetooth. I keep reading about the HD4000 onboard video needing some kind of injection to make it work. Is this injection on to the config file? Can you provide a link to the file I need for this injection please?

Graphics questions are off-topic in the networking forum. Post your question in the appropriate forum with complete hardware details.

^^ My bad, sorry, we'll do...

So to answer my own question and to help any other users who just want a card that works without the hacking, patching, inserting, injecting, rebranding, etc bs. The only caveat is I had to do a fresh install. My 4540s has the latest Bios and even though the product description says it's not for HP, a reviewer had stated that the card worked for them in the 4540s. I figured the "NOT for HP warning" was from when the 4540s had the wifi whitelist and it was only $17.

On 3/17/2015 I purchased the following Qualcomm Atheros Wireless AR5BHB92 AR9280 PCI-E Half Mini Card Dual-band 2.4/5.0GHz 300 Mbps 802.11a/b/g/n Card from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JESLUWQ

This Atheros card is working for me on an HP Probook 4540s with a clean install Yosemite following the guide linked below combined with the HP Probook Installer Clover Edition 6.2.15.4 (March 12th). I can use both 2.4 and 5 Ghz wifi bands. I had already replaced the stock wifi card with an BCM943224HM I got off of eBay and it did NOT work for *ME* following the same guide, doing the *EXACT* same procedure/steps etc. That might be because it has a "strange" id. Whatever the reason, it didn't work for me.

Just swapping the Atheros for the Broadcom card did not work either. Yosemite saw the card but the card could not see any networks. I didn't have any data on the laptop yet so I just started from scratch (i.e. wipe drive, reinstall Yosemite following guide, etc) with the new Atheros card and it worked even before I ran the Probook installer.

OS X version/motherboard model/BIOS version/processor/graphics
Yosemite 10.10.2
HP Probook 4540s, C9K7OUT#ABA
Intel Core i3 3110M (2.40GHz)
8GB Memory
180GB HDD SSD
Intel HD Graphics 4000 15.6" 1366 X 768
BIOS 68IRR Ver F.60

Procedure/Guide Used http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-proboo...-install-yosemite-hp-laptops-clover-uefi.html

... I had already replaced the stock wifi card with an BCM943224HM I got off of ebay and it did NOT work for *ME* following the same guide, doing the *EXACT* same procedure/steps etc. That might be because it has a "strange" id.

Not 'might'. It was definitely the reason.

You should try adding the id to ProBookARPT.kext.

I didn't have any data on the laptop yet so I just started from scratch (i.e. wipe drive, reinstall Yosemite following guide, etc) with the new atheros card and it worked even before I ran the probook installer.

Yes... AR9280 is supported natively by the stock OS X drivers (without any device-id trickery).

I have built my first Hackintosh and I cannot get my wireless card to work, I have installed the IO80211Family.kext and the toledaARPT.kext. I have gotten Yosemite to recognize the wireless card but I cannot get the card to actually find networks, but I have the Ethernet working. I have researched this and I have a Ethernet cable running across my house to get internet. I have also tried to select the kext for my wireless card. It is a Atheros AR9287 WiFi card made by TP-Link. If I look at my system report under WiFi, the status of the card is "Not Associated" when WiFi is set to on and when I set it to off, it says "Off". In the status bar at the top, after a restart, it will look for networks and just stops and says that WiFi is on. I have also tried booting with -x, cpus=1, and -v. If anyone knows a solution, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank You in advance.

I have built my first Hackintosh and I cannot get my wireless card to work, I have installed the IO80211Family.kext and the toledaARPT.kext. I have gotten Yosemite to recognize the wireless card but I cannot get the card to actually find networks, but I have the Ethernet working. I have researched this and I have a Ethernet cable running across my house to get internet. I have also tried to select the kext for my wireless card. It is a Atheros AR9287 WiFi card made by TP-Link. If I look at my system report under WiFi, the status of the card is "Not Associated" when WiFi is set to on and when I set it to off, it says "Off". In the status bar at the top, after a restart, it will look for networks and just stops and says that WiFi is on. I have also tried booting with -x, cpus=1, and -v. If anyone knows a solution, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank You in advance.

Why did you replace IO80211Family.kext?

I didn't replace it, but when I put Yosemite on the computer, it wasn't present, so I just put it in there. Before I put the kext in, the card and Ethernet was not reconized, I had to put it in place to get OS X to see them.

EDIT: Sorry if I sounded ignorant or rude on my reply

I didn't replace it, but when I put Yosemite on the computer, it wasn't present,

Not true. IO80211Family.kext is a standard part of any Yosemite install.

OS X never recognized the WiFi card until I installed the kext with KextBeast, so I don't know what happened. I had to reinstall OS X at one point because the system would keep locking up and OS X never recognized the WiFi card until I used KextBeast to install IO8211Family.kext and toledaARPT.kext. I did remember that the second time I installed OS X that Ethernet worked without doing anything, I set up my Hack with the internet and the AppStore worked when I started it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back