Contribute
Register

[Guide] 10.11+ USB changes and solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, thanks. Any idea on why the available USB 3 ports are no longer acting as USB 3 ports? Devices that are USB 3.0 capable don't always seem to connect properly to SSP3 and SSP4 and are only running at 480Mb/s. They function fine in SSP5 and SSP6.

I would need to see ioreg that demonstrates the problem you have with the devices connected.

I would need to see ioreg that demonstrates the problem you have with the devices connected.

Attached is an ioreg file with a device called Supra which is a USB 3 thumb drive attached and it shows up under the HS03 port instead of SSP3 where is should be. It is also finicky when attaching it to the port because sometimes it doesn't connect. But it works fine in SSP5/6.

Attachments

• slimjim-usb3-troubleshooting.ioreg.zip
    867.9 KB · Views: 83
Attached is an ioreg file with a device called Supra which is a USB 3 thumb drive attached and it shows up under the HS03 port instead of SSP3 where is should be. It is also finicky when attaching it to the port because sometimes it doesn't connect. But it works fine in SSP5/6.

Assuming there is a built-in hub attached to HS03/SSP3, the UsbConnector values are set wrong. You have 3, should be 255. You need to create a custom SSDT to set that value correctly.

The SSP3 port in ioreg shows no hub there, but that might be fixed when you get the correct UsbConnector value...

Assuming there is a built-in hub attached to HS03/SSP3, the UsbConnector values are set wrong. You have 3, should be 255. You need to create a custom SSDT to set that value correctly.

The SSP3 port in ioreg shows no hub there, but that might be fixed when you get the correct UsbConnector value...

There is a built in ASM107x hub on that port. Can you point me in the right direct for the SSDT, I can do some editing but I have not created one from scratch before.

EDIT: I will try to work my way through the readme for the USBInjectAll.ket... will report back if I have any luck or other questions. Thanks.

Last edited:
FIXED: Not sure what the actual problem was but I did successfully make a SSDT. I ended up doing a CMOS reset and after booting again everything is showing up as it should in USB. Thanks for your help AND patience.

UPDATE: After plugging everything back in and a reboot it is back to having problems again. I might be a device that is causing problems.

UPDATE #2: I'm so confused now. Without any USBInjectAll.kext or any DSDT/SSDT, when I do a CMOS reset, the first boot everything is working as it should. If I don't change anything and just reboot... it no longer works. I have attached an ioreg for each situation. USB 3.0 doesn't work on SSP3/4 until I do another CMOS reset, you will see that there is an ASM107x device on SSP3 & 4 which is the internal hub on one ioreg and not the other.

Attachments

• slimjim - immediately after cmos reset.ioreg
    8.2 MB · Views: 136
  • slimjim - first reboot.ioreg
    8.1 MB · Views: 108
Last edited:
My USB ports are working in Sierra but I don't get the extra operating current 1600 when connecting my iPhone as I did in El Capitan. Here is my info:
MB Asus X99-s

Code:
adi@Andreis-Desktop:~|⇒  sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /
Password:
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67054 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA12 for kext SoftRAID.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67054 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA12 for kext X86PlatformPlugin.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67013 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA3B for kext AppleMobileDevice.kext
Invalid signature -67054 for kext <OSKext 0x7fe4777ccfe0 [0x7fffb96a6c30]> { URL = "SoftRAID.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.softraid.driver.SoftRAID" }
KernelCache ID: AD6DEBC82C109C271C5CBD952DB8CFB0
symlink("/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel", "/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache") failed 17 (File exists) <createPrelinkedKernel 2795>

Any pointers on how to fix this? I searched this thread and this forum but couldn't find anything usefull. Thank you!

Attachments

• ioreg-x99-s.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 71
  • CLOVER.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 123
FIXED: Not sure what the actual problem was but I did successfully make a SSDT. I ended up doing a CMOS reset and after booting again everything is showing up as it should in USB. Thanks for your help AND patience.

UPDATE: After plugging everything back in and a reboot it is back to having problems again. I might be a device that is causing problems.

UPDATE #2: I'm so confused now. Without any USBInjectAll.kext or any DSDT/SSDT, when I do a CMOS reset, the first boot everything is working as it should. If I don't change anything and just reboot... it no longer works. I have attached an ioreg for each situation. USB 3.0 doesn't work on SSP3/4 until I do another CMOS reset, you will see that there is an ASM107x device on SSP3 & 4 which is the internal hub on one ioreg and not the other.

Create custom SSDT so that UsbConnector values are correct.
Check BIOS settings. Make sure "fast boot" disabled, legacy boot enabled... and check your USB settings in BIOS.

My USB ports are working in Sierra but I don't get the extra operating current 1600 when connecting my iPhone as I did in El Capitan. Here is my info:
MB Asus X99-s

Code:
adi@Andreis-Desktop:~|⇒  sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /
Password:
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67054 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA12 for kext SoftRAID.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67054 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA12 for kext X86PlatformPlugin.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67013 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA3B for kext AppleMobileDevice.kext
Invalid signature -67054 for kext <OSKext 0x7fe4777ccfe0 [0x7fffb96a6c30]> { URL = "SoftRAID.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.softraid.driver.SoftRAID" }
KernelCache ID: AD6DEBC82C109C271C5CBD952DB8CFB0
symlink("/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel", "/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache") failed 17 (File exists) <createPrelinkedKernel 2795>

Any pointers on how to fix this? I searched this thread and this forum but couldn't find anything usefull. Thank you!

You are running into the port limit. As a result your SS ports are truncated (if you look at ioreg, you'll see only SSP1 under XHCI).

As far as power properties, the ioreg shows you're not injecting them.

Create custom SSDT so that UsbConnector values are correct.
Check BIOS settings. Make sure "fast boot" disabled, legacy boot enabled... and check your USB settings in BIOS.

Why would it work after a CMOS reset with Fast Boot Enabled and UEFI only mode but then not work after rebooting once? USB settings in bios are all set to enabled (Legacy Support, XHCI Handoff, EHC Handoff).

I feel like there is something lingering in the boot cache, even though I have cleared it many times.

Why would it work after a CMOS reset with Fast Boot Enabled and UEFI only mode but then not work after rebooting once? USB settings in bios are all set to enabled (Legacy Support, XHCI Handoff, EHC Handoff).

I feel like there is something lingering in the boot cache, even though I have cleared it many times.

Fast boot breaks certain things with Clover. Id recommend having it disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back