Contribute
Register

[Guide] 10.11+ USB changes and solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The patch is now entered under DSDT/Patches/item 0.

OK so, opening SSDT-HACK.dsl in Xcode shows me this:

View attachment 159581

q1. "To use this SSDT... compile as AML" - never done this before, how to do?
q2. "place in ACPI/patched" - is that EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched?
q3. "add to config.plist/ACPI/SortedOrder" - am I adding the same AML file to this location also? Where/how do I do that?

I'm hoping that my basic questions will help other beginners like me by the way.

Open SSDT-HACK.dsl in MaciASL. Choose File->Save As, format: "ACPI Machine Language" binary. Place in EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched. Make sure SortedOrder refers to the file.

More info in ACPI patching guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-laptop-support/152573-guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.html

You can see examples of SortedOrder in the plist files linked from my Clover laptop guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...de-booting-os-x-installer-laptops-clover.html

I think you'll find it all really basic/obvious stuff...

Open SSDT-HACK.dsl in MaciASL. Choose File->Save As, format: "ACPI Machine Language" binary. Place in EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched.
Done

Then I read your guides here:

And with regard to
Make sure SortedOrder refers to the file.

I checked "Drop OEM" in Clover and added the path as below. Is that correct?

Screen Shot 2015-10-29 at 19.17.11.png

I think you'll find it all really basic/obvious stuff...

I think you overestimate my abilities, sir

Done

Then I read your guides here:

And with regard to

I checked "Drop OEM" in Clover and added the path as below. Is that correct?

View attachment 159594

DropOem=true should not be used without placing all OEM SSDTs (potentially patched) in ACPI/patched.

If you're just adding SSDT-HACK.aml, no need to change DropOem.

SortedOrder does not include a path. Just a file name.

I think you overestimate my abilities, sir

Learning is necessary/good.

DropOem=true should not be used without placing all OEM SSDTs (potentially patched) in ACPI/patched.

If you're just adding SSDT-HACK.aml, no need to change DropOem.

SortedOrder does not include a path. Just a file name.
Drop OEM unchecked and entered file name like this:

Screen Shot 2015-10-29 at 19.57.50.png

Learning is necessary/good.
Agreed

Re next steps, as always, need guidance.

My IOReg doesn't look like your screenshot in guide, can't seem to see which ports are active?

Screen Shot 2015-10-29 at 20.03.14.png

However, I was trying a couple of weeks ago to follow the guide by Wegface over at the other forum. Obviously, I wasn't successful (far more help here) but I did map my ports (in Yosemite). Is this useful for next steps?

GAZ87HD3-Map.jpg
What is my next move?

Drop OEM unchecked and entered file name like this:

View attachment 159597

I don't use Clover Configurator, but from here looks ok.

Agreed

Re next steps, as always, need guidance.

My IOReg doesn't look like your screenshot in guide, can't seem to see which ports are active?
View attachment 159601

USBInjectAll likely not installed (or port limit patch not correct), so all ports are not even injected...

The way to determine which ports are active is to plug both USB2 and USB3 device into each one while monitoring in IORegistryExplorer.

I don't use Clover Configurator, but from here looks ok.

USBInjectAll likely not installed (or port limit patch not correct), so all ports are not even injected...

The way to determine which ports are active is to plug both USB2 and USB3 device into each one while monitoring in IORegistryExplorer.

I installed USBInjectAll using KextWizard to S/L/Extensions. After reboot, in IORegistryExplorer, I see this under XHC:

Screen Shot 2015-10-29 at 20.44.23.png

I have plugged in USB 2/3 device to various ports. They show up in Finder but I don't see anything appear in IOReg in the view I have above.

If I select IOUSB, I see the devices appear and then get crossed through when I remove, like this:

Screen Shot 2015-10-29 at 20.51.07.png

All ports seem to work in this view, i.e an entry shows up when I plug device in and gets crossed out when I remove.

I installed USBInjectAll using KextWizard to S/L/Extensions. After reboot, in IORegistryExplorer, I see this under XHC:

View attachment 159605

Demonstrates 15-port limit in effect. Use the port limit patch.

I have plugged in USB 2/3 device to various ports. They show up in Finder but I don't see anything appear in IOReg in the view I have above.

If I select IOUSB, I see the devices appear and then get crossed through when I remove, like this:

View attachment 159606

All ports seem to work in this view, i.e an entry shows up when I plug device in and gets crossed out when I remove.

Look at IOService plane. XHC/EH01/EH02.

Demonstrates 15-port limit in effect. Use the port limit patch.

I checked this and I looked in Clover Configurator (I know you're not a fan) - I noticed the AppleUSBXHCIPCI patch had a "#" in front and none of the other patches did. I removed the # from in front and rebooted. Now I see all ports here:

Screen Shot 2015-10-29 at 21.46.18.png

Look at IOService plane. XHC/EH01/EH02.

So, now, connecting USB 2/3 devices, looking in IOService, I see them show up like this:

Screen Shot 2015-10-29 at 21.34.43.png

Am I simply checking to see if the device connects, or is there a value I need to note for each one?

So, now, connecting USB 2/3 devices, looking in IOService, I see them show up like this:

View attachment 159628

Don't look at LegacyRoot in IOResources. Look at XHC/EH01/EH02 under PCI0.

Am I simply checking to see if the device connects, or is there a value I need to note for each one?

It will be more obvious what you're collecting when you start looking at the right thing in ioreg.

Don't look at LegacyRoot in IOResources. Look at XHC/EH01/EH02 under PCI0.

It will be more obvious what you're collecting when you start looking at the right thing in ioreg.

OK. So, I think I am now looking in the right place. Screen shot below is my Patriot USB3 memory stick. It is showing up on HS10 which is USB2 port, right? But should be USB3. HS10 matches the port map I did in Yosemite also. So, is the idea to plug devices into each port and see which show up as HSx when they should be SSPx?

Screen Shot 2015-10-29 at 22.19.11.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back