Contribute
Register

[Guide] 10.11+ USB changes and solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone already done a custom port injector for the Gigabyte H270N-Wifi? In Sierra, all my USB3 ports were working, but since upgrading to High Sierra no USB3 devices are recognized at all. If someone has already done this, I'll try that first before trying to request more help.

Has anyone already done a custom port injector for the Gigabyte H270N-Wifi? In Sierra, all my USB3 ports were working, but since upgrading to High Sierra no USB3 devices are recognized at all. If someone has already done this, I'll try that first before trying to request more help.

Port injectors are specific to each user, as you may use the internal headers differently than someone else.
Read here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/

Hi RehabMan. Yes, I've been reading those threads. I was just going by something you said in the USB changes thread where we should check to see if one of the experts here might have already created a custom injection for our board. I guess I need to do that after I figure out which ports I'm using.

Hi RehabMan. Yes, I've been reading those threads. I was just going by something you said in the USB changes thread where we should check to see if one of the experts here might have already created a custom injection for our board. I guess I need to do that after I figure out which ports I'm using.

Once you understand a bit of what you're doing, creating the custom SSDT for your ports only takes about 15 minutes.

In Sierra, my USB ports were working correctly. I was just using USBInjectAll and the XHCI-200-series-injector.kext. I followed the instructions in this thread to upgrade to High Sierra. I see that jktaurus8 put in the EHCx->EH0x SSDT, but from reading the Rehabman USB changes thread, it appears those are not necessary on 200 series chipsets.

Anyway, the problem is that since upgrading, my machine no longer recognizes any USB 3 devices. The system has no reaction when one is plugged in, and there is no change in IORegistryExplorer. USB 2.0 devices are working fine. I'm only using USB 3 ports on this system. There is a USB 2 header on the MB, but I'm not using that.

A more general question as well... I have a USB 2 hub plugged into one of the ports. Does the 15 port limit include devices plugged into that hub? I see that everything still falls under XHC, but things are not duplicated as shown in your examples (maybe that's because I don't have any USB 3 devices working so I can't see what the tree would look like in that case). And since this board does not use EHCx, what options are there for making sure we don't go over the limit? I obviously have the port limit patch installed right now, but as you've recommended, I would like to get rid of it at some point.

I'm sure it's probably something simple since others are using this board successfully.

I've attached a dump from gen_debug.

Attachments

• brucehvn_23282.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 73
In Sierra, my USB ports were working correctly. I was just using USBInjectAll and the XHCI-200-series-injector.kext. I followed the instructions in this thread to upgrade to High Sierra. I see that jktaurus8 put in the EHCx->EH0x SSDT, but from reading the Rehabman USB changes thread, it appears those are not necessary on 200 series chipsets.

Anyway, the problem is that since upgrading, my machine no longer recognizes any USB 3 devices. The system has no reaction when one is plugged in, and there is no change in IORegistryExplorer. USB 2.0 devices are working fine. I'm only using USB 3 ports on this system. There is a USB 2 header on the MB, but I'm not using that.

A more general question as well... I have a USB 2 hub plugged into one of the ports. Does the 15 port limit include devices plugged into that hub? I see that everything still falls under XHC, but things are not duplicated as shown in your examples (maybe that's because I don't have any USB 3 devices working so I can't see what the tree would look like in that case). And since this board does not use EHCx, what options are there for making sure we don't go over the limit? I obviously have the port limit patch installed right now, but as you've recommended, I would like to get rid of it at some point.

I'm sure it's probably something simple since others are using this board successfully.

I've attached a dump from gen_debug.

See guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/

Yes, I've been looking at that thread as well. Do you believe that creating a custom SSDT will get my USB 3 devices to be recognized? I thought I would need to solve that problem before writing a custom SSDT. Is there something that changed between 10.12 and 10.13 with USB because I had USB 3 devices recognized and working in 10.12?

The two USB guides (USBInjectAll/SSDT guide, USB power properties guide) should be considered compulsory.
Perhaps before you were using the port limit patch (even though using it is only recommended short term for port discovery)... and you don't realize the port limit patch is version dependent (different patch for 10.12.x vs. 10.13.0-3 vs. 10.13.4).

The two USB guides (USBInjectAll/SSDT guide, USB power properties guide) should be considered compulsory.
Perhaps before you were using the port limit patch (even though using it is only recommended short term for port discovery)... and you don't realize the port limit patch is version dependent (different patch for 10.12.x vs. 10.13.0-3 vs. 10.13.4).

Aha! I checked a little more closely and I saw in Clover Configurator that while I changed the port limit patch find/replace values based on what was in the High Sierra upgrade thread, I didn't see that the match OS string was for 10.12.x. I set it correctly for 10.13.0-10.13.3 and now my USB 3 devices are recognized again. Now I can proceed on to make a custom port injection file.

Thanks for mentioning that.

Hi

There is an issue with the intel usb dropping out and sometimes crashing with the setup.

Attachments

• bootlog.zip
    8.1 KB · Views: 53
  • debug_27391.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 58
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back