Contribute
Register

[Guide] 10.11+ USB changes and solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't plan to use xHCI as I don't know what it is or does or whether I should or shouldn't use it. For me to understand this would require explanation in layman terms.

xHCI Is your USB3 controller.
You can choose to use only the xHCI controller for all ports (including USB2) if you disable EHCI by setting xHCI mode "Enabled" in BIOS.

xHCI Is your USB3 controller.
You can choose to use only the xHCI controller for all ports (including USB2) if you disable EHCI by setting xHCI mode "Enabled" in BIOS.
OK, I think I understand. XHCI and EHCI are different USB controllers. So if I set xHCI to enabled in BIOS, would that mean I wouldnt need to use the patches shown in #2685 that change EHC2 and EHC1 or is this still needed?

OK, I think I understand. XHCI and EHCI are different USB controllers. So if I set xHCI to enabled in BIOS, would that mean I wouldnt need to use the patches shown in #2685 that change EHC2 and EHC1 or is this still needed?

Correct. And you won't need to configure EH01/EH02/HUB1/HUB2 as all those are related to the EHCI.
Everything will be on XHC.
It is not only simpler, but also more like Apple configures their products (Haswell and later).

Correct. And you won't need to configure EH01/EH02/HUB1/HUB2 as all those are related to the EHCI.
Everything will be on XHC.
It is not only simpler, but also more like Apple configures their products (Haswell and later).
Thanks. Can I check a few things?

1. I assume I will still use the kext that I created with your help to keep within the 15 port limit, the one I am currently using but with the USB3 correctly identified as external
2. If I open my current config.plist with plistedit pro, under ACPI/DSDT/PATCHES I have this:
Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 16.08.26.png

Should I edit within this window to remove the patch and how should it look afterwards or can I use Clover Configurator, select the patches and hit the minus button?

3. While in Clover Configurator, can I remove "SSDT-HACK.aml" from Sorted Order and can I remove the corresponding file from EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/PATCHED folder?

4. Final question, It was back in January 2016 that you helped me with port identification, making the kext and the EHC rename patch. What caused the recommended fix to change, was it when Sierra launched that a better method emerged?

Thanks. Can I check a few things?

1. I assume I will still use the kext

No idea what you mean by "the kext".

Should I edit within this window to remove the patch

What do you mean by "the patch"?

or can I use Clover Configurator,

I don't recommend Clover Configurator.

3. While in Clover Configurator, can I remove "SSDT-HACK.aml" from Sorted Order and can I remove the corresponding file from EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/PATCHED folder?

See above regarding Clover Configurator.
And SortedOrder not necessary if using AutoMerge=true.
See ACPI patching guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/

4. Final question, It was back in January 2016 that you helped me with port identification, making the kext and the EHC rename patch. What caused the recommended fix to change, was it when Sierra launched that a better method emerged?

No kext creation involved with USB port injection.
See guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/

No idea what you mean by "the kext".

What do you mean by "the patch"?
Back in Nov 2015, you helped me to get USB working correctly. I followed your instructions. Here is one of the last posts in this exchange if this helps: #425

You advised me to edit config.plist so that this appeared in DSDT patches when I look in Clover Configurator:
Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 18.14.10.png

don't recommend Clover Configurator.
Noted

above regarding Clover Configurator.
And SortedOrder not necessary if using AutoMerge=true.
See ACPI patching guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/
I dont understand

You helped me edit a Kext, I think the Inject All Kext to suit my board configuration so that the correct ports would be injected after I had identified which is which. It is all there in post #425 and previous, I followed your advice. This is why I am now totally confused

Last edited:
Back in Nov 2015, you helped me to get USB working correctly. I followed your instructions. Here is one of the last posts in this exchange if this helps: #425

If you created a custom port injector kext, then no need for USBInjectAll.kext and custom SSDT.
I recommend USBInjectAll.kext+SSDT though.
Your choice.

If you're planning to change your USB configuration (to use only XHC), you must create a new port injector kext, or do a new custom SSDT for USBInjectAll.kext.

You advised me to edit config.plist so that this appeared in DSDT patches when I look in Clover Configurator:

The SSDTs in my hotpatch guide for disabling EHCI assume EHCx->EH0x rename.

I dont understand

Fully covered in the ACPI patching guide.

If you created a custom port injector kext, then no need for USBInjectAll.kext and custom SSDT.
I recommend USBInjectAll.kext+SSDT though.
Your choice.
I did create a custom port injector kext, with your help, this is what you advised me to do. I only used inject all kext to identify the ports I thought, to create the custom kext. I dont have Inject All installed now as you had recommended the Custom Kext. This is why I am confused, what changed?

If you're planning to change your USB configuration (to use only XHC), you must create a new port injector kext, or do a new custom SSDT for USBInjectAll.kext.
So now recommended that I use XHC only rather than the previous approach? Can I just check the obvious that you realise I'm using GA-Z87-HD3 Mobo and running El Capitan 10.11.6?

The SSDTs in my hotpatch guide for disabling EHCI assume EHCx->EH0x rename.
Because I have limited knowledge I dont understand much of the terminology you use. I am a relative beginner, but can follow instructions if explained in simple terms. I sincerely have no doubt re your incredible depth of knowledge, but I think you assume that things make sense to me from reading guides/posts, they don't, which is why I am here asking politely for help.

Can I just start at the beginning with some simple questions, this will help if you indulge me.

1. If I should NOT now use a Custom Port Injector Kext, what changed between Nov 2015 and now bearing in mind I am still using same hardware and OS?

I did create a custom port injector kext, with your help, this is what you advised me to do. I only used inject all kext to identify the ports I thought, to create the custom kext. I dont have Inject All installed now as you had recommended the Custom Kext. This is why I am confused, what changed?

Nothing changed.

To inject ports, two options:
- USBInjectAll.kext + custom SSDT to configure it
OR
- custom injector kext

Your choice to use either of those.
I think the SSDT+USbInjectAll.kext method is easier (and more flexible), which is why I wrote the guide for it and didn't really write a step-by-step guide for creating port injector kext.

So now recommended that I use XHC only rather than the previous approach?

Using XHC only was always an option. Nothing new here.

Can I just check the obvious that you realise I'm using GA-Z87-HD3 Mobo

I can see that from your profile.

and running El Capitan 10.11.6?

That's fine although most users tend to update (currently at 10.13.2)

Nothing changed.

To inject ports, two options:
- USBInjectAll.kext + custom SSDT to configure it
OR
- custom injector kext
Thank you, this really clarifies things I was not grasping. I remember reading that the USBInjectALL Kext was "Not for Long Term Use" and I think this was at the root of my confusion.

Your choice to use either of those.
I think the SSDT+USbInjectAll.kext method is easier (and more flexible), which is why I wrote the guide for it and didn't really write a step-by-step guide for creating port injector kext.
If your advice is SSDT + USB InjectAll method, then this is the way I will go.

That's fine although most users tend to update (currently at 10.13.2)
I think I will now update, I've been holding off. I find with the guides that I can get out of my depth quickly. Once I've installed 10.13.2 (On HFS J) can I come back to you when I inevitably get stuck with USB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back