Contribute
Register

Guess I need to consider switching to AMD graphics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97x-UD7 TH
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 580
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'll need to to update to Mojave/Catalina at some point and as best I can tell, my current graphics card (NVIDIA GTX 970) is not compatible.
I'm not sure which card would make the best replacement. I'm hoping that someone with more hardware knowledge might offer some advice?
My profile shows my current hardware. Would RX 590/580/570 work in this machine? Does one make more sense than the others? Is there another card that I should consider?
Thanks so much!

I'll need to to update to Mojave/Catalina at some point and as best I can tell, my current graphics card (NVIDIA GTX 970) is not compatible.

I'm not sure which card would make the best replacement. I'm hoping that someone with more hardware knowledge might offer some advice?

My profile shows my current hardware. Would RX 590/580/570 work in this machine? Does one make more sense than the others? Is there another card that I should consider?

Thanks so much!

I recommend a RX 580. It is natively supported in MacOS High Sierra / Mojave / Catalina.

I use a Sapphire RX 580 Pulse which works with MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 / High Sierra 10.13.6 / Mojave 10.14.6.

Thanks so much!

also consider a Vega 56. You can flash the bios to the Vega 64 bios and get one heck of a gpu for a little over 200. If that's too much for you rx 580's are going for around 100 it looks like. They all work beautifully.

also consider a Vega 56. You can flash the bios to the Vega 64 bios and get one heck of a gpu for a little over 200. If that's too much for you rx 580's are going for around 100 it looks like. They all work beautifully.

I wouldn't get Vega 64. I would get RX 570/580 for now and later buy 5700 XT when the driver is more mature since it's new.

I wouldn't get Vega 64. I would get RX 570/580 for now and later buy 5700 XT when the driver is more mature since it's new.

I suggested getting a Vega 56 and flashing the bios to that of a 64. You end up with most of the performance of a 64 minus a few compute cores. It's a good bang for your buck and the Vega driver works well now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back